Cadillac Owners Forum banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Deville
28 Posts
Hmm... a small dead spot in this thread - 2011 to 2020. OK, here it is:

The car, a 1984 Dodge sedan, the year, circa 1986. It had a 318 V8 and a three speed automatic transmission and when I needed an extra shot of icy cold air from the AC on a hot day I would drop it into 2nd gear on the highway. You can see where the director is taking this. So one day I am cruising along at around 65 and I drop it into 2nd, but to my horror I realize I was already in 2nd and had dropped it into 1st gear! Oh, that motor howled let me tell you - it sounded like one of the 7000 rpm red line scenes from Ford vs. Ferrari.

So I quickly put it back in 3rd and did not mess with that trick anymore that day and drove the car home. Everything was fine until the next time I used it, when ... everything was still fine. I had that car several more years and everything was always still fine and apparently there were no ill effects from this tachonometric excursion. That motor was only rated around 200 HP, but apparently the drive-train was built with a Large Margin of Safety.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,674 Posts
I left my first car, a '62 Corvair, in a tree in late '68.

I lost traction on a dirt road in a fast sweeper. Unfortunately there was a sizable berm on the outside and a sizable tree beyond that. I knew it wasn't worth the cost of retrieval and repairs, so I climbed down and left it up in the tree.

·
Registered
2003 Deville
28 Posts
I left my first car, a '62 Corvair, in a tree in late '68.

I lost traction on a dirt road in a fast sweeper. Unfortunately there was a sizable berm on the outside and a sizable tree beyond that. I knew it wasn't worth the cost of retrieval and repairs, so I climbed down and left it up in the tree.
Well, that tops everything, Hoosier Daddy. It made more sense when I stopped reading "barn" for "berm".

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,674 Posts
Well, that tops everything, Hoosier Daddy. It made more sense when I stopped reading "barn" for "berm".
I didn't mind too much because of the pain and embarrassment the car caused me just weeks before.

On a date, a girl asked me to light her cigarette. I didn't smoke and the car didn't have a working lighter (I discovered just then).

As a teenager desperate to impress, I pulled a spark plug wire, put it against the tip of the cigarette in my mouth and told her to crank the engine. The shock about knocked me down. The cigarette remained unlit.

Later she used a friend's lighter on that cigarette and it was hard to light and she barely got any smoke. The electricity from the spark plug wire had made hundreds (guessing) of tiny holes in the paper, so there wasn't any draw at the lit end.

·
Registered
2011 SRX Turbo
67 Posts
Maybe not the worst thing I've done to a car, but it makes the list for sure:
I had a '98½ SVT Contour that needed a brake line repair, but I didn't have time to work on it, so I put it in the garage of my recently purchased home for about a month. The garage had a dirt floor and a leaky roof. Here is what it looked like when I put it in the garage:

And here is what it looked like when I pulled it out:

Yeah, that's all mold. I sold it as-is to someone who just needed the body of the car.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,735 Posts
Oh wow there are some throwback names in this thread.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts