Cadillac Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
'06 CTS-V - '96 Impala SS
158 Posts
My story involves a rental car too.

I was 15yo, wanting to do anything that involved driving. My Mom/StepDad were mowing the grass & needed gas for the mower. I volunteered. The gas station was all but 1 mile away. I fill the can no problem & set it on the passenger side floor board of the rental car. I'm making a right in the parking lot & the gas can falls over.

Ignorantly and instantly, I lean over to right the can before gas spills on the interior. As I'm doing this, I'm still moving, not very fast, but I'm in motion. When I've reoriented the can to the vertical position, I sit back upright & immediately notice a landscaping partition in the middle of the parking lot, dead ahead. It was made of old railroad timbers, set in the ground vertically.

My reaction was to immediately slam on the brakes . . . except I hit the accelerator (which probably turned out to be a good thing). Before I know it, I've "jumped" this landscaping partition & was on the other side where I finally hit the brakes. The partition was maybe 2' high by 3' wide.

A neighbor was in the parking lot & happened to have observed all of this. As soon as I got out, he screamed "DO IT AGAIN! That looked just like the Dukes of Hazzard" (a popular show at the time).

If I had hit it w/o slowing down, I might've high centered. The metal bumper must've pushed the timbers down at an angle & I made it over.

I freaked out about it a lil & drove home debating to tell my Mom/StepDad. I owned up to it & they were proud of me for stepping up. I didn't get in any trouble!

Months & months later, we get a call from the rental car place asking if we had been involved in any collision with the car. My Mom said "I never hit anything in it while driving it" . . . which was true, I was driving! ;)

·
Registered
2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
Broadsiding a barbed-wire fence after sliding off a slick road with bald tires on my '74 Celica in high school. Only damage to the car was a couple of dings on the rocker panel and some jagged scratches on the front fender, neither of which I bothered to fix. The fence, however, was totaled. :lol:

Honorable mention: Driving my Dad's '62 Falcon 80 MPH down the freeway with the parking brake on. There was no light on the dash to tell you the brake was still on. Brake linings were smoking pretty good by the time I got to work. I think I waited at least 20 years before I told my Dad about that.

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
Driving the Seville through Spokane, Washington.

That town competes with Detroit for having the worst roads. After two weeks I ended up with a damaged tire and a bent rim, incidents that happened on separate occasions. It was like driving through a third-world country. F*** that place.

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,026 Posts
I put this Torino in a ditch.

I'm 17, its 10 o clock at night, and it's raining. (all the ingredients for a WIN) We snuck into the area where the land development company gets their fill dirt. (much WIN this place has)

Chasing an 88 Corsica at about 55 mph on the dirt road in the pic, I tried to dodge a large puddle and lost my ass. The Corsica's fwd handled it like nothing. Me and my 2.73 one-legger weren't so lucky.

There were 3 of us in the car after it came to rest at a 45 degree angle. My large friend next to me ripped the seat out of its mounts. Myself, and his brother in the back had to climb out and lift up the 11" thick door to get him out.

After we stood around in the rain and had a smoke, we went back 10 miles to my house, snuck in the backyard, and grabbed shovels and wood to try and save it... Wasnt F'n happening so we gave up and called it a night. The next morning the cops show up at the house because one of the workers spotted the car and reported it stolen. It's still raining btw... Before we could get out there to try and save it during the day, the dirt bridge into the place collapses under one of the dump trucks. The driver is injured and it makes the news.

There I was back on my bicycle, license taken away, and my first car is trapped on its side in some podunk mudhole. Agonizing it was. It took them 2 weeks to clean up that mess and repair the bridge so we could get to the car. My dad paid a guy in a loader to pull it out. Amazingly it started after only a couple cranks! Unfortunatly the rest of the pictures have been lost but the one above is from right after it was pulled out.

STUPID.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,734 Posts
How long did you lose your license for that little stunt? :lol:

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,026 Posts
Maybe a month? Cant remember.... half of that was a given since I couldnt drive it, or even SEE it for 15 days. If that bridge didnt collapse that night, the car would have been subject to a redneck bondfire like every other abandonded vehicle out there. :crying:

This is the place http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Compound

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,734 Posts
"Discharge of a paintball gun is illegal within the city of Palm Bay, except at a municipal paintball field." Wow seriously? :lol:

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
You lost your license for abounding a car or for what?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Yeah, no paintball shooting in the backyard.... Its considered a firearm, as are BB guns. Lame.

Parents took the license away. Now that I think about it, I beleive they gave it back after we got the car out since they thought having my precious rusto-bucket-o-shit stuck in a ditch far away was punishment enough. :tisk:

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
53 Posts
In a Caddy?

Cruising down the highway in a Gorgeous white 1968 Cadillac Ambulance in the late seventies and watching as the Right Rear wheel passes me on the meridian of the highway. The car settled down and just slid to a gentle stop. Took me a few hours to get a set of lug bolts to pound into the drum.

·
Registered
1999 DeVille, 2002 DeVille
4,175 Posts
I hit black ice on the freeway at 70mph, spun and hit the guard rail, then was slammed into by a fully loaded 18-wheeler. :shocked: Then I rolled twice into the ditch. Completely smashed my beautiful new Chrysler to bits. I went to the hospital, but I luckily got out of it with neck injuries and a concussion.

·
Registered
1999 DeVille, 2002 DeVille
4,175 Posts
On a side note, it was still running when it landed, the doors all opened properly, and only one window broke. It's a miracle that my friends and I aren't dead. That Chrysler saved our lives.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
On a side note, it was still running when it landed, the doors all opened properly, and only one window broke. It's a miracle that my friends and I aren't dead. That Chrysler saved our lives.
You can say that again!! I take you and your friends were wearing safety belts?

·
Registered
1979 Coupe DeVille
35 Posts
One day 8 or 9 years ago I pulled my wife's Bonneville out of the garage to move a bunch of my woodworking tools to one side. While I had it in the driveway, I took my shopvac and cleaned it out. When I went to back the car in I was paying more attention to the driver's side which is where I moved all the tools and there was now less room. I was most of the way in when I heard this sickening thud/creeak/crunch. I had neglected to close the front passenger side door all the way. Since our driveway slopes down away from the house, when I backed up the door swung open and since I was so focused on the other side, the door hit the front of our house, denting our siding and bending the hades out of the car's hinges. My wife heard it inside and asked me what the *expletive* happened. I'm sure my face was red as any beet ever was.

It qualifies as double duty: The worst thing I ever did to a car and probably one of the top ten embarrassing moments of my adult life.

·
Registered
300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!
8,189 Posts
The '79 before the Demo Derby, but all ready to go!

·
Registered
300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!
8,189 Posts
The $150 Dodge before mods and after. That would be a sawzall in my hand, who needs a top in the summer? The Dodge did not make the 2,000 mile ride home, but it got real close!

·
Registered
1975 hearse, 1976 hearse
865 Posts
Ugh.. Don't get me started. I'm surprised I'm still alive. Best race I ever had was with a housewife driving a white corvette. I had a Riviera GS and really startled the hell out of her..
then there was the time I wiped out a NYC cab with a caprice wagon, put a rented Town Car to the redline and got blasted by a Bentley in the desert, on and on...no no, I just can't..

D

·
0 Posts
im not sure if it was what i just did 15 minutes ago when i kind of acidentaly scratched my dads Superbird that he has in the garage that im not suposed to be in but i had to go in cause the beagle lady got in there and i had to go in after her and my belt buckle but a scrach in the drivers side fender OMG hes going to kill me
Hope you didn't scratch the Renault Alliance that was parked next to it as well. :)

61 - 80 of 86 Posts