Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the wide range of ages represented here on the Forums I'll bet there are some great stories to be told. Let's leave the definition of "exotic" to be very broad and flexible and see what comes up.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,126 Posts
#1. 1967 Ford GT Mk. IV. Daytona.
#2. 1966 McLaren/Elva/Traco Chevy.
#3. 1968 Lamborghini P400 Miura
#4. 1964 Ferrari GTO
#5. 1957 Jaguar XK-140 MC

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,936 Posts
Ford GT40 early production
Lotus Europa JPS
Porsche 930 Turbo
Porsche 917 10K (but I only got to sit in it with engine running)

The Ford was only a very, very short drive. The Lotus handled well but otherwise was a POS. The 917 cockpit noise level was deafening. The 930 at 140mph was almost serene and well mannered.

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
Mercedes-Benz 180 (W120), The first post WWII Mercedes Benz:

Citroen 2CV

·
Registered
1999 DeVille, 2002 DeVille
4,175 Posts
Exotic and Interesting are almost synonyms for me. I used to get to tool around in a 1965 Rolls Royce every weekend, that was fun. It was a total hunk of shit, too. Always breaking down, overheating, slower than anything ever.

·
Registered
STS 1SF Black V8 2006
456 Posts
I thought my '02 GT Porsche was it until the 2014 Audi 5 RS

But really, my 353 Formula w. twin blue motors is by far the biggest kick with combined 900 hp.

But then my 06 CBR RR could rev to 13 grand. (sold dat)

gotta lose 15 lbs abd get back to 7:30 miles before any new toys.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mercedes-Benz 180 (W120), The first post WWII Mercedes Benz:

Citroen 2CV

Did some time in both those cars, Ben. A friend of mine had one of those small M-B in high school. It was even slower than my M-B 300D sedan. Notice they used the same steering wheel all through the fifties and with the donut center into the sixties. Here's a picture of a '50's M-B 300 like the I drove when I first started driving.

56 mercedes 300d.jpg

My girlfriend's sister had a Deux Chevaux in the early seventies when I lived in Paris. An amazing, thrifty and versatile car for those on a small budget.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^ Yeah, I steered my Dad's 1940 Packard 120 Touring sedan about 1947, same with my uncles 1948 Ford Tudor, Both on the road that encircles the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA.

Probably the most "exotic" car I have driven was a 1970 Lamborghini Countach in 1974. I had already driven a P400 Miura (several in fact) back in the late sixties. I was lucky to get to drive almost all the high end GT cars of the mid to late sixties and early seventies. My mechanic, Frank Monise, had a regular flow of Aston's, Maserati's, Ferrari's, through his shop and I got to drive many of them when I was helping out when I was home on leave from over sees. I really couldn't stand the Countach and really only loved the way the Miura looked. I really loved my Lamborghini 350 GT; it was fast to be sure, but it was also a pleasure to drive.

The first car that I actually owned was my 1958 Jaguar XK 150 drophead. I bought in 1964 and finished the refurbishment which was almost complete when I bought the car. I had the car in Southern California and really enjoyed evening drives up the Angeles Crest Highway. It wasn't fast by today's standards, but was even in the mid sixties. Here's a picture of the old girl:

jag xk150 dh.jpg jag xk150 1.jpg

A car that I would call exotic, but others may not, was the Citroen SM. I got to drive one both in France and the U.S. and very much regret never having bought one. What a cool car!

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
One of these. Not exactly exotic, but people did move out of the way lol. :)

View attachment 279378
Back seat or front seat? Sorry, couldn't resist1 :D

----------

Did some time in both those cars, Ben. A friend of mine had one of those small M-B in high school. It was even slower than my M-B 300D sedan. Notice they used the same steering wheel all through the fifties and with the donut center into the sixties. Here's a picture of a '50's M-B 300 like the I drove when I first started driving.

View attachment 279386

My girlfriend's sister had a Deux Chevaux in the early seventies when I lived in Paris. An amazing, thrifty and versatile car for those on a small budget.
There is something very special about those Citroens! I am not sure how to describe it, but when these little things start to move on a straight road, struggling to maintain the enforced minimum speed, you start to root for them! I would call them underdogs! Moving is a huge achievement for them. I am not sure how many HP the 2-cylender engine had, but it couldn't be more than 20-30 HP! And the 2-cylenr engine has a very distinct, strange noise! It sounds like it is begging for mercy!

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,734 Posts
Several, thanks to my old job.

2009 Ferrari F430 Scuderia
1998 Ferrari F355 (that gated shifter was magical)
A few Vipers (I secretly love these now.)
2009 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet
2012 Bentley Continental GT (this one I got to drive for about 150 miles... and what a machine. Totally silent, but if you step on it you have enough torque at your disposal to change the rotational direction of the Earth itself, it seems...)

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Several, thanks to my old job.

2009 Ferrari F430 Scuderia
1998 Ferrari F355 (that gated shifter was magical)
A few Vipers (I secretly love these now.)
2009 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet
2012 Bentley Continental GT (this one I got to drive for about 150 miles... and what a machine. Totally silent, but if you step on it you have enough torque at your disposal to change the rotational direction of the Earth itself, it seems...)
Were you a valet parking attendant on Rodeo Drive? ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts