Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the key characteristic of a "luxury" product in today's market place?

The term "luxury product" is tossed around, today, much like the term "gentleman," without regard to the words original, or true meaning. Luxury is just an adjective attached to a product to make it more attractive to those who probably have no idea what the terms means in the contemporary world. Just a the term "gentleman" is used to describe some one of male gender, including males who may be courteous and polite to others and convicted criminals guilty of the most heinous crimes against their fellow human beings.

While many products of today may possess qualities and features that would have made them unaffordable to vast majority of people not too long ago, does there easy attainability today make them less of a "luxury" product?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,813 Posts
Re: What is the key characteristic of a "luxury" product in today's market place?

Diamonds are luxury. Rhinestones are common.
A Rolls Royce is Luxury. A Cadillac is common.
A Rolex is luxury. A Timex is common.
The Island ShangriLa in Hong Kong is luxury. The Best Western is common.
A catered reef diving trip in Tazmania is luxury. The community pool is common.

If you have to ask how much it costs, you cannot afford "luxury". :hide:

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
Re: What is the key characteristic of a "luxury" product in today's market place?

According to my OED, luxury is "something which conduces to enjoyment or comfort in addition to what are accounted the necessaries of life". Hence, in recent use, something which is desirable but not indispensible.". I would go further and say that for something to be a true luxury, it must also be rare and not easily obtainable.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Doubt this thread would be found on a Hyundai forum. Anyone who doesn't think of Cadillac as a luxury brand has been breathing rarified air so long it has effected their ability to recognize their own good fortune.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,141 Posts

According to my OED, luxury is "something which conduces to enjoyment or comfort in addition to what are accounted the necessaries of life. Hence, in recent use, something which is desirable but not indispensible.". I would go further and say that for something to be a true luxury, it must also be rare and not easily obtainable.
You had me at OED. Impressed with anyone on a car forum who knows what the Oxford English Dictionary is. Oh, wait...that makes you and me old book trolls :)

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts

You had me at OED. Impressed with anyone on a car forum who knows what the Oxford English Dictionary is. Oh, wait...that makes you and me old book trolls :)
This is no bad thing! :)

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I think Craig and Sub are getting to what real luxury is in today's world. Let's face it is exclusivity that, today, that leads to an item being thought of as "luxury." Exclusivity can be a function of price, or rarity, or limited access all of which bring an item or experience to be called a luxury, and all bring prestige to that item. Let's face a Rolex watch would not have the prestige that it enjoys today if it were still priced a the $350. that they sold in the PX's around the world in the sixties. Nor would Jaguars or BMW's that sold for $3600. or $1800. respectively through the Armed Forces Overseas Purchase Plans.

That being said "exclusivity" plays a major role in an item being thought of as "luxurious" and that item being accorded prestige. The low loan rates and the leasing of cars has gone a long way in eliminating "exclusivity" from Cadillac's description and the marques prestige has fallen accordingly.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
.....The low loan rates and the leasing of cars has gone a long way in eliminating "exclusivity" from Cadillac's description and the marques prestige has fallen accordingly.
While exclusivity can be one of many factors used in defining luxury it isn't an essential element.
Lots of people own ski boats, sail boats, etc... Hardly exclusive, but definitely luxuries. In most households someone owns at least one diamond ring, or gold watch. Again, not very exclusive, but definitely luxuries.
Cadillac's use of relatively easy leasing and financing programs are not responsible for the decline of prestige in the brand. That happened decades ago.

C

·
0 Posts

I would say it is a perception issue, Mercedes, BMW and Audi all have cheaper lease deals than Cadillac and they seem to be able to deal with the current times
And do not suffer from such issue's.
I have a couple employe's that make less than 20 an hour and they manage to be able to lease one of those 3 brands.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

You betcha, There are plenty of folks out their making sub upper middle class wages that are driving new German cars. Starting in the 1980's one could drive through the Korea Town neighborhood of Los Angeles and see Mercedes S class after Mercedes S class parked out in front of $1000/month apartment buildings. It is why cars are no longer "prestige" items among the upper echelons of the upper middle class and above.

Funny thing, we used to (and maybe still do) see Rolls-Royces park in the moderately priced apartments in Hollywood and Beverly Hills. And then there is the rented mansion with no furniture syndrome so common in Beverly Hills and now even Hancock Park. The phoney façade game is very common in certain areas and circles.

·
Registered
1999 DeVille, 2002 DeVille
4,175 Posts

Anyone who doesn't think of Cadillac as a luxury brand has been breathing rarified air so long it has affected their ability to recognize their own good fortune.
:yup:

·
Administrator
69,813 Posts

Anyone who doesn't think of Cadillac as a luxury brand has been breathing rarified air so long it has effected their ability to recognize their own good fortune.
Ah, dear Watson - Writing out a cashier's check for sticker price on a brand new Cadillac is "luxury". Writing out a check for the same car after it has lost 70% of it's original price after 3 years is smart shopping.

Try that with diamonds or Rolexes. Ain't gonna happen.

VERY few people can tell the difference between a 2004 CTS and a 2015. (Yes, most of us in here could) Many people go slack-jawed when the find out my STS is a 2002.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Ah, dear Watson - Writing out a cashier's check for sticker price on a brand new Cadillac is "luxury". Writing out a check for the same car after it has lost 70% of it's original price after 3 years is smart shopping.

Try that with diamonds or Rolexes. Ain't gonna happen.

VERY few people can tell the difference between a 2004 CTS and a 2015. (Yes, most of us in here could) Many people go slack-jawed when the find out my STS is a 2002.
Oh Sherlock, writing out a check for sticker price on a new Cadillac is stupid, even for someone who can afford to.

Buying a three year old Cadillac for 30% of it's original sticker price is a great deal and smart shopping for a used luxury car (provided it is in good condition with reasonable miles).

The fact that diamonds and Rolex's retain and, for the most part, increase in value is not what defines them as luxuries.

A twenty year old BMW is still a luxury car, a thirty year old Jaguar is still a luxury car, a forty year old Mercedes Benz is still a luxury car.

Just because something is a few years old (or more) does not disqualify it as a luxury. Maybe an old and outdated luxury, but a luxury nonetheless.

I don't doubt that your 2002 STS is in pristine condition. Would love to see pictures of it sometime. :)

·
Administrator
69,813 Posts

I don't doubt that your 2002 STS is in pristine condition. Would love to see pictures of it sometime. :)
Click my username, open the profile. Left column, 2 albums 6 pages of Seville and Northstar stuff.

Click a thumbnail to enlarge, use your browser <-- to back out.

(Basscatt ragged on me about the black lug nuts and center caps, so I put the chrome STS caps back ..........)

Attachments

Reactions: 77CDV

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Yep, she's pristine. Beautiful interior, it looks very very comfortable and I'll "dare greatly" to say luxurious! ;)
I don't know much about hand guns but you have quite a nice collection. Thanks for sharing!

I agree with Basscatt about the center cap and lug nuts.

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts

Modern luxury buyers want to go through something that elevates their senses and experiences, like fine dining and travel. Luxury is no longer about hoarding mass amounts of "stuff."

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Modern luxury buyers want to go through something that elevates their senses and experiences, like fine dining and travel. Luxury is no longer about hoarding mass amounts of "stuff."
For me, my Vs were luxury. On the '09, the cockpit was well appointed, well finished and had everything a driver needed. I had many ultra-long drives in comfort no squishy boat could've achieved. Much, much better than my Town Car.

Speaking of which, I live in that thing. But, after awhile, my back gets restless. The lack of a dead pedal has surprisingly not killed me yet for it nearly drives me insane. The power is underwhelming. I have to brace myself on harder turns. It required extra effort on driver inputs.

The V? Tiny, little efforts required to do what I wanted it to do. Perfect drivers position in a perfect drivers car. I put 2,000 miles on that V the moment I bought it. To drive it home. I did 1,750 miles the first 28 hours. Straight. The Recaros were firm to the first sitting. But luxury means I can drive it and be in it for days on end. Check.

After leaving the SHO Convention in Charlotte in '11, a buddy in his Vette and myself went to Deal's Gap and spent the day flying all around the area. We took too long. I headed home as he did back to Indiana. But where I thought this would take up our morning, it took up our day. At 5PM, I was still 12 hours from home. After driving the evening and a few hours of late night on the Blue Ridge Parkway, I got back to the Interstate and ended up sleeping in a Sheetz parking lot from 3-6AM. I then woke up, grabbed a coffee and some gas and drive home. Got home at 1PM. And I was comfortable. That's luxury.

I also did an 1,100 mile drive from Ottawa to St. Cloud for another SHO Convention. In 20 hours.

That V could do so many things. Some just define luxury as soft and cushy. Not me. That V was the ultra epitome of luxury...

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Damn BigJim, you make me want to hop in my V and go on another road trip! :)

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

Luxurious living never was about "hoarding mass amounts of stuff." It seems to me that living a life of luxury has always been about enjoying what you thought was the best surroundings and environment and the ability to seek out, through travel and experience, comfort and delight, and to be able to afford to indulge these quests. The luxury attribute of a material object or experience is really subjectively determined by the individual and objectively determined by a society.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts