Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
1993 Triple Black Allante
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Allante fans, I want to know how crazy y'all are. I had mine up to 130MPH before I felt the road get slimmer and my butt tightened up. I know there is more out there, but do I really want to find it. From what i have read, 147MPH is tops. I don't think I will try it again anytime soon, but can't promise anything.

Please don't run out and see what she'll do just for me. I would hate to think someone might get hurt. I just want to know how fast youv'e been and how it handled. Mine felt fine, but I couldn't help think that a cow/dog might come onto the road at anytime and just ruin my day.

·
Registered
127 Posts
When I finally sorted out all my engine/trans issues and she was running well, I started driving it regularly. One day going to work early (5-ish) and traffic was very light, I wanted to see how well she'd accelerate. Before I new it, I crested 100MPH. This was on a nearly empty 4-lane interstate. If I hadn't looked at the speedo, there was no difference from doing 55 as far as stability, quiet, etc. Remarkable vehicle.

I'd love to see what she'd do at the top end, but there's just no legal place to find out around here. I don't know if she'd make it to top speed in 1/4 mile. I'm hoping to take her to the strip this summer and see what she'll do. Going to put in an adjustable transaxle modulator (only works on '87-'92 trans) to firm up the shifts first though.

·
Registered
87 Allante, 2000 Deville
1 Posts
Returning from the lakes this past Labor Day, I looked in my rearview only
to see a dumpy Dodge Laser or whatever, one headlight up and the other
down, drafting me. Now I was going 75 with the cruise set and he wasn't
more that a few feet off my bumper. I dropped back to 65 to let him by,
but when he passed me and got in front he dropped his speed to 60. I let
the ponies out as I went around him and when he was a dot in the rearview
I checked the speedometer to find I was holding at 110. She felt tight as
I went through traffic. I backed her down to 75 set the cruise and continued
on my way. 5 minutes later what does appear in my rearview? Why it's the
undecided headlight Laser again. This time I didn't let him by, took the Allante up to 110 again, and when the Laser was a speck, I set the cruise
at 105. I noticed I was getting 18 mpg which I thought was pretty good
considering speed and topdown. 5 minutes later I resumed my 75 mph
cruise and the Laser didn't reappear.

Gary

·
Registered
90 ALLANTE,2-72 CPE,71 SEDAN,69 SEDAN,2-69 ELDO,68 ELDO
33 Posts
42 Mph-----no Plates,regis.,ins.,gas,job. Maybe Later !!!!!

·
Banned
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to work on this, your missing out on too much. Too cold up there for top down now, but you've got a few months to work on it.

Good Luck in all categories!!!!!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I had mine up to 120 when an a**hole with a Bronco pulled up next to me on an interstate and paced me at 3:00 in the AM with no one else around. He mirrored whatever I did, so I decided to punch it after awhile to see if he was going to keep up. I don't know what happened to him after that 'cause he disappeared. Maybe his engine blew.

·
Banned
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its nice to give the old girl a kick in the pants from time to time when someone is on your tail, or you just feel the need for some speed. I just remembered a post in the kill section that I did earlier in the year about a Corvette that challanged me. I thought it might be a fun read if you want to look.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280

I don't do this sort of thing often, but its nice to know you can.

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
I know this is an ancient thread, but I just had to resurrect this one...

I am currently living in Germany, where, in case you didn't know, there is no general speed limit on the autobahn - even though about 40% of the autobahn network has some kind of local limit (usually between 100 and 130 km/h).

My 1993 Allante came from California to Germany in 1996 and has done a lot of mileage on the Autobahn. The fastest I ever drove it was 150 mph, this is where the limiter kicks in. Since I do not have a hardtop, this kind of speed is uncomfortable, the noise level is just to high.

So usually, I cruise at around 100 mph on the autobahn with the top down, at this speed it is not too drafty or noisy to be comfortable. The only annoying noise comes from the antenna, so I just turn the radio off at that kind of speed. With the top up, I go up to a 120 or 130 mph. The car handles very solidly and safely at that kind of speed and I like the growl of the Northstar!

BTW: cruise control can be set to speeds above 100 mph!

Also, even at temperatures of 100°F and prolonged driving above 100 mph, the enginge temperature stays exactly in the midle of the gauge, just as at 50 mph.

Sometimes, I feel that the 1993 Allante, with its stiff suspension, is more at home on the autobahn than on pot-holed american freeways... anyway, my Autobahn days will soon be over. This year, I will move to British Columbia - and my Allante will have a Canadian licence plate, after a Californian and a German one...

·
Registered
Cadillac 93 montana blue Allante
43 Posts
I took my 93 with 159,000 miles out yeterday on the 5 freeway in Los Angeles. I punched it for no other reason than to just let it run for a minute or so. With no effort and no strain it was up to 100 mph. It also slowed very easily which is much more impressive, and very comforting. I also own a 96 Bronco with a 351 (the largest motor available) and I would be suprized if it could do 120 mph, I do not know how stable it would be, and trying to stop it would be a whole other issue. I also had a 91 Allante that was new, and very nimbly out paced a corvette in very short order on highway 1.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I am not particularly interested in getting a thrill out of putting others in danger of me maiming or killing a few people. Too much heartache for others, me, my family, other families. I must admit that I was more likely to become involved in childish behavior when I was a teenager.

I guess a few years and gray hairs assists in increasing maturity and diminishing childlike behavior.

I also feel that we have a responsibility to instill similar values in our children.

·
Registered
Cadillac 93 montana blue Allante
43 Posts
I agree with ZO6, To foolishly run at high speed in traffic for no reason is DANGEROUS. I only ran my Allante for a very short distance and well out of traffic. I am sure I could have increased the speed, but then you are really asking for trouble. Like I said, I was much more impressed with the ability of my Allante to brake, than its ability to accelerate. Many years ago I owned a 57 T-bird that I took on a new freeway that was deserted, and punched it up to 115 mph. This was on bias-ply tires, drum brakes, and regular shocks. Getting up to speed was not the problem, coming back down was an issue, I never repeated this experience. I also owned a Porsche(Targa) for many years, and never felt the need to see what it would do. Top down cruising is much more enjoyable, and ultimatly much safer. The Allante was very stable and felt comfortable at speed, but too much excess is just looking for trouble.

·
Registered
1989 Red Allante,
313 Posts
GARY when I was a teenager, I think you were still that proverbial gleam in Daddy's eye. So it was 1963 when I got a Popular Mechanic article on my first car a 57 Ford Fairlane red 2 door HT. 292 cu. in three in the tree converted to a floor shift baby. Article said top speed was 106 mph. Can still see that speedo 98- 99- 101. That sob wassa shaking and stutterin. damn never did get to 106. JCS, hyperion both have to have some good ole teenage and speed stories. Fastest I ever got was 125 in a new '85 manual tranny Vette afore good sense took over. Think my '89 Allante will run 100mph all day long!

·
Banned
Is one enough ?
645 Posts
Surely this is the litmus test to find out who are the
young ones, middle age crisis ones, and old farts .. at
least in thinking.

of course, if you lived in the no speed areas of the country or
the world, i suppose that many are childish going by the
some of the posts above ..

i dare anyone to walk up to a NASCAR racer or a concept car
test driver or a fighter pilot and call him childish.

a little narrow point of view ... no?

·
Banned
Is one enough ?
645 Posts
somehow, the word LIMIT is missing from my post above that i cannot correct ..

correction :

"of course, if you lived in the no speed LIMIT areas of the country or
some of the posts above .."

Surely this is the litmus test to find out who are the
young ones, middle age crisis ones, and old farts .. at
least in thinking.

of course, if you lived in the no speed areas of the country or
some of the posts above ..

i dare anyone to walk up to a NASCAR racer or a concept car
test driver or a fighter pilot and call him childish.

a little narrow point of view ... no?

·
Registered
93 allante black
85 Posts
I am not particularly interested in getting a thrill out of putting others in danger of me maiming or killing a few people. Too much heartache for others, me, my family, other families. I must admit that I was more likely to become involved in childish behavior when I was a teenager.

I guess a few years and gray hairs assists in increasing maturity and diminishing childlike behavior.

I also feel that we have a responsibility to instill similar values in our children.

So I guess the drag strip is out as far as building values. Your opinion of child like behavior I'm sure is different then others here, or try just for men.

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
Childish or not, that depends on many factors. I would feel very unsafe driving at 100 mph plus on a freeway in LA, traffic or no traffic.

If you look at the autobahn, there are some big differences compared to the US:

- People are used to driving at higher speeds and expect fast cars
- Rigorous and mandatory vehicle safety inspections every two years
- Much more demanding driver education and testing required to obtain your licence
- Better road maintenance
- Autobahn construction (curve radius etc.) actually designed for high speed

So, while "cruising" at 100 mph on the Autobahn is a non-issue in good weather and light traffic, it would scare the c*** out of me on the 405 freeway in LA!

The point as to our Allantes: the car handles just fine at speeds well above 100 mph and can run at those speeds for hours at a time without ill effect. (I can only speak for the 93 Northstars)

·
Banned
Is one enough ?
645 Posts
this discussion is like religion. worse !

·
Registered
1989 Red Allante,
313 Posts
I do not know top end of my '89 but I do believe she'll do !00 all day long w/ no ill effects!

Stealth?

·
Banned
Is one enough ?
645 Posts
Bill .. thanks .. this thread was becoming a reservoir of negativity..

she has done 110 nonstop from Sacramento to Lake Shasta
several times, top down. i didnt feel comfy pushing her
beyond that.

about the same in the desert roads north of Palm Springs,
but not for as long.

not too shavy for a 20 year old '88, with well over 100,000 miles

she will get new tires before she jumps to hyperspeed again.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts