Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A 02 SEVILLE STS AND DONT KNOW THE H.P. OF THE STS AND IS WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE IS IN THE 2 THANKS FOR ANY INFO:confused:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Lol. Anyway, the difference is that the STS has 300HP and 295FTlbs of torque and the SLS has 275HP and 300FTlbs of torque. The STS has 3.71 gears and the SLS has 3.11. The STS has wood trim all the way down the doors and the SLS stops. There are other interior differences too, I will include some interior pics of the SLS. Also the SLS and STS have different rims and the STS has a stiffer suspension.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n10/JC316_2006/100_7867.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n10/JC316_2006/100_7871.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n10/JC316_2006/100_7874.jpg

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,703 Posts
We need specifics. Are you asking about simple basic mechanical things like Engine power, and suspension tuning? Or are you also inquiring about other things like Interior, Electronics, ect? Some difference are are big like engine power and are easily explained, while others are not. Engine wise, the STS is rated at 300hp @ 6000rpm and 295lb/ft @ 4400rpm, while the SLS is rated at 275hp @ 5600rpm and 300lb/ft @ 4000rpm. The Cam timing, and Intake cam itself are different as well. The L37 motor in the STS has a 'bigger' intake cam then the LD8 motor in the SLS. The main difference being lift, and overall duration. The L37 has a maximum valve lift of 9.4mm and a duration of 266 degrees, while the LD8 has a maximum valve lift of 8.6mm and a duration of 244 degrees. 8.6mm and 244 degrees are the same specs for the exhaust cams in both vehicles. As you can see, only the STS has the bigger intake cam. That in conjunction with minor software changes produced the extra 25hp....and 5lb/ft loss of torque as well.

The RSS (road sensing suspenion) is also tuned differently between the two vehicles. The STS is designed for a stiffer "sportier" feel, while the SLS is designed for a softer, more luxurious feel. I believe the "Performance Shift Algorithm" programmed into the STS' Transmission software is also more responsive, with the intent of providing more performance during "maneuvers".

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
oh god
here we go again
allow me to introduce you to the search button
its located at the top right of the screen
try using it

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes i am a newbe sts owner and to forum sorry to have been a pain but thank you for all the great info by the way i did look first but must not have looked in right place thanks again :thumbsup:

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
The biggest differences?

A "T," an "L," and the opinions of those who drive them.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
It depends on what trim level of STS you've got. Depending on whether it's a "standard" STS or a Performance Luxury package one, there is a substantial difference between the two models, and then above that the uplevel trim actually.

Garden variety SLS's do not have the wood trim running all across the door as mentioned above, they do not have perforated seating surfaces (they have a weird pattern thing going on instead), Bose is optional on the SLS while it is Standard on the STS, STS has foglights, 300hp motor and different gearing, body colored lower body mouldings (though this is only different in the earlier years), different standard wheels, wood and leather steering wheel and shift knob and a few other things.

The Performance Luxury package comes with the Magnaride suspension after late 02 (according to owners, this alone is enough to get the STS), a big one for me, Xenon High Intensity Discharge Headlights (not even optional on lower trims), and larger wheels/lower profile tires specific to that trim level. There's more but youll have to do a search to find it.

It's kind of like those "Z" package Special Edition Grand Cherokees that came out in the late 90's with the same body mouldings as the Limited model. There were still plenty of differences between the two, just most of it isn't visible to the naked eye.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
So Goff....would you apply the same logic to a base Firebird vs. a Trans Am?
Or a base Comaro vs. an IROC?

Same body yes.....but different car!
Again... as I said it comes down to the opinions of those who drive them.

Most of the time it comes down to the, well.. snobbery of some "T" boys.

You're only fooling yourself if you believe there is as big a difference between to two trims of Seville as there is between a V6 and V8 Camaro.

Aside from the higher final gear the STS has a bit higher HP at a higher RPM and a slightly less bit torque at again - a higher RPM. What this translates in to is that the STS will squeak past the SLS at 60 but the SLS will get the jump off the line... this is assuming we're talking solely in a straight line. The bottom line is despite your 25 ponies an SLS in the hands of a more experienced driver will easily spank an STS, especially if the road gets even the slightest bit twisty.

With the exception of four bits of trim on the doors and HID headlights, there's really nothing *better* offered on the STS that can't be had on the SLS.

And I say "better," because the suspension is highly subjective, forgive me for being a tad old-school, but I like my Cadillac's to ride a little on the softer side. So to some a firmer ride does not necessarily mean better. Besides that it seems that most of the problems regarding vibrations, wheel shake, harsher/jarring rides seem to center more around that fancy-pants active suspension found on the STS. I've been around long enough to know that the more high-end electronic doodads there are means a more probable chance for something to go wrong.

If I specifically wanted or needed to get an STS I would have done so... but I didn't - I wanted a Seville. Period.

So, STS-Lover... would you like to make another pointless comparison?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,105 Posts
:sneaky: Would you please, in all your learned wisdom, make a comparison between Stabilitrak, CVRSS, and late-STS/Corvette MagneRide in the Seville series? (After having been subjected to a Ford Focus for 423 miles), the late Seville STS suspension is featherbed on the highway but it will knock your teeth out if you play Ferrari. Ask STS2003. The SLS is for the cushion drivers, the STS is for the driver drivers...........different strokes for.............(BTW, the percentage of MagneRide problems in the vibration/wheel shake areas is miniscule compared to the earlier variants.......)

·
Registered
'98 STS (Crimson Pearl)
477 Posts
:sneaky: Would you please, in all your learned wisdom, make a comparison between Stabilitrak, CVRSS, and late-STS/Corvette MagneRide in the Seville series? (After having been subjected to a Ford Focus for 423 miles), the late Seville STS suspension is featherbed on the highway but it will knock your teeth out if you play Ferrari. Ask STS2003. The SLS is for the cushion drivers, the STS is for the driver drivers...........different strokes for.............(BTW, the percentage of MagneRide problems in the vibration/wheel shake areas is miniscule compared to the earlier variants.......)
Thank you!
If there were no difference between the 2...they would have only made 1 like they used to. Owning an STS rather than an SLS does not make us "snobby" it just means that we are looking for something different out of ou "Seville"

·
Registered
'98 STS (Crimson Pearl)
477 Posts
The bottom line is despite your 25 ponies an SLS in the hands of a more experienced driver will easily spank an STS, especially if the road gets even the slightest bit twisty.

?
Do you have some data to support the SLS has a better skid-pad rating than the STS?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
My apologies, I should have been more specific and said the pre-magnaride Sevilles. But seeing as how the Magnaride suspension was only available for 2002.5-2003 STSs I felt safe at making the more generalized comment.

My point however remains that despite the softer ride, the SLS can still be a "drivers car."

And the only reason for my diatribe was because a certain someone seems to think that there are all-around, drastic differences between the two trims. Which I would hope that you and I agree that while there are a few, they don't qualify as drastic enough to consider the two trims two totally different vehicles.

As for you Scooter... you may as well keep the cheers to a minimum as the Magnaride argument need not apply to ye.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Do you have some data to support the SLS has a better skid-pad rating than the STS?
I really don't mind a good debate... but only with those with proper reading comprehension... if we look at what I said:

The bottom line is despite your 25 ponies an SLS in the hands of a more experienced driver will easily spank an STS, especially if the road gets even the slightest bit twisty.

I really don't care about all of this, because if we remember my original comment was about the opinions of the owners. You're the one who's been all adamant about defending the "superiority" of the STS.. while I hold that one is not necessarily better than the other.

·
Registered
'98 STS (Crimson Pearl)
477 Posts
I really don't mind a good debate... but only with those with proper reading comprehension... if we look at what I said:

I really don't care about all of this, because if we remember my original comment was about the opinions of the owners. You're the one who's been all adamant about defending the "superiority" of the STS.. while I hold that one is not necessarily better than the other.
Debate is cool...and I do comprehend! So what would happen if you put the same drive (experience wise) in the differens cars? I'm sure that Mario Andretti in a VW Rabbit could smoke my grandmother in my STS!

And I never said it was superior, just a different car...you are the one being "adamant" about how they are the same car.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,105 Posts
:hide: At the risk of nuclear holocaust, the actual performance differences between the two trims in any model year is damned hard to determine. There are some visual and creature comfort changes, yes. Given the right conditions, IF BOTH TRIMS HAD NO SPEED LIMITER, the SLS might outrun the STS at top end due to the SLS' 3:11 final drive ratio vs 3:71, which would cause the STS to redline at a lower speed. That's all theory, because aerodynamics (drag, frontal resistance) take over WAY before 4th or lockup (5th) redline. Realistically, the frontal coefficient of a Seville is darn close to the square footage of your kitchen door. Try pushing THAT flat into an airstream at 150 mph. Now, maybe a bit of nitrous mist at the air filter...........

·
Registered
'98 STS (Crimson Pearl)
477 Posts
:hide: At the risk of nuclear holocaust, the actual performance differences between the two trims in any model year is damned hard to determine. There are some visual and creature comfort changes, yes. Given the right conditions, IF BOTH TRIMS HAD NO SPEED LIMITER, the SLS might outrun the STS at top end due to the SLS' 3:11 final drive ratio vs 3:71, which would cause the STS to redline at a lower speed. That's all theory, because aerodynamics (drag, frontal resistance) take over WAY before 4th or lockup (5th) redline. Realistically, the frontal coefficient of a Seville is darn close to the square footage of your kitchen door. Try pushing THAT flat into an airstream at 150 mph. Now, maybe a bit of nitrous mist at the air filter...........
You are spot-on about the gearing. My first car was a '72 GP with the T/A 400cid 360hp and 3:08 gear. I had a buddy that had a '72 Stang with a 400hp 302cid (built..cam, 750 holley, headers) and 4:11 gear. We raced all the time and I could never come close in the quarter but he couldn't do 145mph like I could.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts