Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, what is the bolt pattern on my 01 DTS. Is it 5/115 or 5/114.3

I only ask because on may wheel site both are listed as fitting. On TireRack they only show wheels that are 5/115 and on WheelMax they only show wheels that are 5/114.3

What is correct for my DTS?

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so I'm learning that it's supposed to be 5/115. Now I have to ask. With all the problems I'm reading about, How on earth can these people sell wheels that are 5/114.3 and say they fit?

I did read somewhere that the only difference is that it's a tighter fit going on and once the lug nuts are centered properly everything is fine. That you just have to be careful not to tighten the lugs off center.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,114 Posts
:bigroll: Think long and hard about bending 5 hardened studs in order to fit a slightly smaller bolt circle. And the lug nuts will gall the outer 1/3 of the wheel tapered nut seat as the nuts are torqued, because they're trying to bend the stud inward.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thank you.

On the bending thing, I also read that you didn't have to bend. Someone on a Chrysler board claimed that the holes themselves on the 115 pattern were just lager holes and that on the 114.3 pattern the holes were centered in the same place but the holes were smaller causing a tighter fit.

So I still ask then why does every wheel store tell you that 114.3 will fit.

It's not that I don't believe you guys because I most certainly do. But I'm just amazed that I can go to 10 different wheel places and 9 of them tell me that 114.3 will fit my specific application and make no mention of 115 at all.

The only place I've seen so far that doesn't do that is TireRack.

·
Administrator
69,114 Posts
:confused: ^^^If your second paragraph was true concerning hole size only, you could put a 112mm bolt circle wheel with "big holes" on a 115mm hub. The "115" dimension refers to the bolt/wheel pattern hole CENTERS, not the hole size. For a 60 degree taper acorn stud nut to fit a 12mm stud pattern correctly, the hub studs must have the same center pattern as the wheel holes, and the nuts, holes, and tapers all conform to industry-wide specs, whether OEM or aftermarket. Think of trying to put a main bearing cap with a 2 7/8" hole center on a block with 3" stud spacing.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But the N* doesn't have main-bearing caps :) LOL I'm kidding.

I understand. You're right and that all makes sense. Just something I read on a Chrysler board.

·
Registered
N/A
1,103 Posts
Ok, thank you.

On the bending thing, I also read that you didn't have to bend. Someone on a Chrysler board claimed that the holes themselves on the 115 pattern were just lager holes and that on the 114.3 pattern the holes were centered in the same place but the holes were smaller causing a tighter fit.

So I still ask then why does every wheel store tell you that 114.3 will fit.

It's not that I don't believe you guys because I most certainly do. But I'm just amazed that I can go to 10 different wheel places and 9 of them tell me that 114.3 will fit my specific application and make no mention of 115 at all.

The only place I've seen so far that doesn't do that is TireRack.

5x114.3 fits fine. I've never seen issues that anyone is talking about.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
See this is what I'm saying. I hear definite answers both ways. I honestly don't see how 7/10 of a mm affects anything at all but you have to ask.

I guess we'll find out.

5x114.3 fits fine. I've never seen issues that anyone is talking about.

·
Registered
N/A
1,103 Posts
See this is what I'm saying. I hear definite answers both ways. I honestly don't see how 7/10 of a mm affects anything at all but you have to ask.

I guess we'll find out.
I've been involved in hundreds if not thousands of these cases. The only time I've seen any issues with studs is from adapters and spacers larger than 3mm. Ofcourse there are cases that a wheel or rather a stud and lug are overtorqued or crossthreaded, but that has no direct relation to 5x114.3 wheels on a 5x115 original fitment.

Same is the case with the BMW 5x120 and GM 5x120.65 (4.75), never have I seen issues.

·
Administrator
69,114 Posts
:confused: RedGalant..........What is the bolt circle diameter and number of studs on your Mitsubishi Galant, and what does that have to do with safety in a Cadillac Deville ??? ...(galant-Webster's- 1. to pay court to a lady. 2. to manipulate in a modish manner. 3. to pay court to ladie(s)). ((Cadillac: Michigan city. De ville: of the city. Seville: artistic, materialistic city in west central Spain.)) You're juggling apples and oranges.........and why does your personal profile seem to hint that you are more than a little interested in "custom wheels"?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,973 Posts
The problem is not the bolt circle. The wheel centerholes are not the same size. The wheels ride the studs instead of the hub center. There is a device called a hubcentric ring that is a spacer that attempts to correct this problem. On top of that the self appointed experts in this field have absolutely no credentials. As far as they're concerned the wheel setup only has to last long enough for the customer to get beyond walking distance. This is similar thinking to slotting out the bolts holes with a rat tail file to make the wrong wings fit on your airplane. The wheels need to fit the bolt circle as well as the hub center; anything else is not acceptable. I'm also not impressed by those arguments that "I did something really stupid and got away with it so it must be the safe and sane thing to do".

·
Registered
N/A
1,103 Posts
:confused: RedGalant..........What is the bolt circle diameter and number of studs on your Mitsubishi Galant, and what does that have to do with safety in a Cadillac Deville ??? ...(galant-Webster's- 1. to pay court to a lady. 2. to manipulate in a modish manner. 3. to pay court to ladie(s)). ((Cadillac: Michigan city. De ville: of the city. Seville: artistic, materialistic city in west central Spain.)) You're juggling apples and oranges.........and why does your personal profile seem to hint that you are more than a little interested in "custom wheels"?
Sir, what I choose to drive is besides the fact. I've sold, serviced, and been involved with thousands of cars with custom wheels. Anything from apparently lowly Mitsubishis to high end Cadillac STSVs, XLRs, Devilles, DHS's, CTS's, and many many more types and makes of vehicles.

You have no idea the experience I'm bringing in here so if you were more polite you would step aside when someone has more experience than you in a particular topic.

In anycase back onto topic. In the thousands of instances I've seen not a single issue from this mixing of bolt patterns.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts