Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1995 cadillac fleetwood brougham
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what the heck do i use on my black vinyl top? I keep using all the regular stuff, armor all, shine gels, looks great until it rains and washes off all down the paint and windows then its dull again? just wondering what everybody else uses that stays on and works

I don't want to order products and wait for them to arrive,

any of you know of any products that I can find at my local stores, Canadian tire, Walmart? Or some of you might use everyday home products to make it shine?:noidea:

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts
One of my friends uses spray on tire shine. Says it lasts longer and stays put better. I've also heard great things about 303 brand protectant, but I don't think you can get that locally.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of my friends uses spray on tire shine. Says it lasts longer and stays put better.
Would any tire shine product work or do I need a specific kind? Also I've hear great things about the 303 product but I just want to buy locally and avoid shipping costs lol

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts
I'm not sure what he uses. Basically you'll want something on the thick side (a gel would probably work well). You'll probably have to play around and see what sticks well without staying too tacky or attracting dirt.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,454 Posts
303 is the only thing I use. A little bit goes a long way, I find 2-3 small applications work best. Armoral, tire shine and shine gel type products are not designed for tops and I wouldn't recommend using them.

...Also use 303 on my tires..

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
I work at a True Value Hardware and we have 303 too.
You can order online and have delivered free to your closest store N/C shipping.

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
I've never had murphy's oil run in the rain. Just don't put it on too thick and you should be OK.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
A friend of mine and fellow member swears by Mop N Glo for his tops.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay so I ended up trying outsider's suggestion using Murphy's Oil soap, and it was the only cleaning product I had that said it can be used to clean vinyl. I tried it on a little area and liked the way it came out! What you need to do is find a shady spot, rinse the vinyl top with water, then use Murphy's oil soap and scrub it in. NOTE: Outsider said to use a little bit, I accidentally used a little too much and when it came to rinsing the excess off it ran down the windows and paint... I had to wash the car anyway so it wasn't a big deal next time I'll use a little bit. As the old saying goes ''A little goes a long way!

Here are some pics!

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
I use Vinylex on my tops. Leaves a nice, sparkly shine, especially with the tuxedo grain vinyl, it doesn't run, and it lasts for several months.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
Your car looks like new from outside, what a classy car ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you! This car looks great in pictures but to be honest, it does have a few scratches, chips, and a few grandpa dings but the camera does a great job hiding it. The only part that is brand new and in mint condition is the back seat which to this day has not been sat on :)

----------

I use Vinylex on my tops. Leaves a nice, sparkly shine, especially with the tuxedo grain vinyl, it doesn't run, and it lasts for several months.
Thanks 77CDV I will pick some up at my local walmart and try it next time its the only vinyl product they sell and by the looks of their reviews people like it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts