Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
BMW 750li, MB S550, Bentley spur and Escalade platinum
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have a quession, the manual said we should use 5W30. i have experienced with mercedes C200K before. the manufacturer suggest i should use 5W30 but when i use 10W40, i feel the car run much more better. lower noise... so, what should i put in my Cadillac now. 10W40 ?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,155 Posts
There is no "best" oil. 5W30 is spec'd. I still use 10W30 and that is just fine, but do not use 10W40. Use 5W30 or 10W30. Nothing else. Conventional or synthetic is your choice, but conventional is what is spec'd and what it came from the factory with.

·
Registered
1990 Deville w/ 250,000 mi
280 Posts
Hard to go wrong with what the owners manual recommends.

Tho in my tired ol' caddy I run 40 weights as that quiets down a noisy lifter.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,464 Posts
I believe that some MercedesBenz use the 0W-40 Euro oils. You can use that in your Northstar, and those Euro oils contain more of an anti-scuff additive package than our U.S. multigrade "starburst" symbol oils.

The 2000 Northstar included a change to roller cam followers which allowed a change in oil multigrade viscosity - 5W-30 - which should help cold oil circulation during warmup times as well as a theoretically higher gas mileage average from less oil drag. The older flat-tappet cam followers required the heavier 10W- to prevent (or at least slow down) cold engine cam and follower scuff wear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts