Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Well I have decided to move on. I have a 01 STS and its pretty well loaded, I think it has every option but Navi. It's blk/blk newer tires. The car drives great and it has a little over 70k. The only negative is the front bumper needs to be repainted. It's not damaged but the wife hit a fence not paying attention and chipped a lot of paint on the left most corner. I will post pictures later, but I am curious to know what the market is bearing for these cars. Thanks for any responses.

Vidal

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Hello all,
Well I have decided to move on. I have a 01 STS and its pretty well loaded, I think it has every option but Navi. It's blk/blk newer tires. The car drives great and it has a little over 70k. The only negative is the front bumper needs to be repainted. It's not damaged but the wife hit a fence not paying attention and chipped a lot of paint on the left most corner. I will post pictures later, but I am curious to know what the market is bearing for these cars. Thanks for any responses.

Vidal
You could try cars.com and autotrader.com. PLug in all variables, and you will see asking prices, many of which are extremely high. Then try Edmunds, KBB, and NADA.

That will give you a starting point or 5.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reponse, I am going to jack a ebay listing until I can post pictures of my own. This car is just like mine. Ebay motors.com item

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
edmunds tcv - true car value, or whatever they call it is the most realistic when it comes to researching a car value... nada is okay but remember, they're geared toward dealers. don't put a grain of salt into kbb... if you do expect to chop about 20% off of whatever they tell you. the best thing, like z06 suggested is to go to autotrader and see what they are currently listing for and take an average, don't go by what dealer's are listing them for because you'll never get as much as a dealer will selling it private party. just remember, unfortunately, you're car is really only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

after a quick check edmunds pegs it around $9500... after checking autotrader for 2000-01's within a 50 mile radius of you it seems that is a reasonable figure, there are a few listed a bit higher but they are of course from dealers. The average asking price of 48 sevilles within that area is $9531 so edmunds seems to be spot on. hope that helps!

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Again, thanks for the responses. Based upon this infor it seems 10.5k may be a good asking price in hopes of getting 9.5k to 10k. Next question would you paint the bumper cover? I have gotten a few estimates in the past $500 to $600

Thanks
Vidal.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
it all depends on how bad it is, we would need to see some pics. if it's not that bad and there's no actual damage it really won't help you fetch any more money. i think you may be a little optimistic having 10grand in your head, like 99esteees said, expect to be offered 9. i know you're seeing what all those dealers are asking but you have to remember they're also offering financing. there won't be a whole lot of people with a wad of cash in there pocket wanting to buy a cadillac. if you go into it being okay with getting around 9 then list it for 10 and you should be set. either way, take some pics of that bumper if you can.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will attempt to get pictures loaded later today. If I bought this car new and paid new car pricing I would be really hurt. A 50k to 53k car new is barely worth 9k six years later. Wow.
Thanks.
Vidal.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
it all depends on how bad it is, we would need to see some pics. if it's not that bad and there's no actual damage it really won't help you fetch any more money.
I disagree on that. There's nothing more off-putting (unless you know about it I guess) than coming to look at a car to buy, especially a Cadillac, and find that you have to repair body work. As much as you can assure that prospective buyer that the damage is just cosmetic, that it wasn't in a real wreck, nobody's going to want to invest time and money right away into a car unless they know they can get it cheap. I would expect to get low-balled on price if you leave it unpainted.

My '01 STS was recently scraped from behind. A lady backed into it in a parking lot, and scraped the rear bumper cover. Luckily, that was the only damage. The cover was sanded and repainted by a facility called True2Form (apparently a chain of stores) and the damage is absolutely undetectable. They did a wonderful job, and matched the White Diamond paint beautifully. Her insurance company paid for it, but the cost was less than $400. This could have been discounted for her insurance company, I don't know.

Either way, I think it'll be much harder to sell it with visible body damage. You may not make that money back in the car, so to speak, but when you look at it from the perspective that you might get a bunch of low offers because of the damage, I think you'll come out ahead by repairing it.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
If I bought this car new and paid new car pricing I would be really hurt. A 50k to 53k car new is barely worth 9k six years later. Wow.
Isn't it great? Really. I love it. My '01 STS cost well over 50 large when it was new, and I bought it earlier this year for $12,500, with just over 50,000 miles. It feels great to come away feeling like a thief.

·
Registered
Cadillac 1992 Seville, Past 1993 Seville & a 2006 STS V-6
121 Posts
that is good to say but you are in north carolina up here in the midwest north of chicago these cars get twipped on the salt bad! winter this car what I looked at with my research is a 70K thats good bumper is junk so it is to me a $8000.00. if the bumper is good and the steering wheel and controls are not worn it is a 10.5 car this makes sense to me I have owned 3 Cadillacs and I am on the road It is a rell problem to get parts>

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I disagree on that. There's nothing more off-putting (unless you know about it I guess) than coming to look at a car to buy, especially a Cadillac, and find that you have to repair body work. As much as you can assure that prospective buyer that the damage is just cosmetic, that it wasn't in a real wreck, nobody's going to want to invest time and money right away into a car unless they know they can get it cheap. I would expect to get low-balled on price if you leave it unpainted.

My '01 STS was recently scraped from behind. A lady backed into it in a parking lot, and scraped the rear bumper cover. Luckily, that was the only damage. The cover was sanded and repainted by a facility called True2Form (apparently a chain of stores) and the damage is absolutely undetectable. They did a wonderful job, and matched the White Diamond paint beautifully. Her insurance company paid for it, but the cost was less than $400. This could have been discounted for her insurance company, I don't know.

Either way, I think it'll be much harder to sell it with visible body damage. You may not make that money back in the car, so to speak, but when you look at it from the perspective that you might get a bunch of low offers because of the damage, I think you'll come out ahead by repairing it.
Ahh... I tend to disagree my friend especially on a comparative cost point. If he is getting quoted 500-600 to get the bumper repainted and does so that will not guarantee him getting that same amount back out of it. if the is no structural damage and the car is mechanically tip top then it comes out to a wash. if he puts it up at 10K the way it is and someone with half a brain offers him 9 is better than him dumping $600 into it, putting it up for ten and someone offering 9300. if he gets that bumper painted no one is really going to care that he just spent $600 on it, receipts or not. The number I quoted him from edmunds was with cosmetic problems. now... if it were me, and there were no structural damage I would touch up the bumper myself and buff the hell out of it. 30 bucks worth of paint and a little elbow grease and you would actually come out ahead.

And Vidal... I know the depreciation sucks.. it's great for used buyers but horrible for original owners. The same day you drove that car off the showroom floor that thing dropped $10K in value. On average, most domestic makes depreciate 50% three years into ownership, while the depreciation slows after that it's still there. For my daily drivers I always bought new until I got my Seville... I think it has completely changed my mind with that. We bought our Buick Regal GS new in 2004 for around $25K... I've still yet to ask what the wife got for it when she went in traded it in.. I don't think I want to know! Just put things in perspective and to make you feel a little better... if I wanted I could go pick up a 2004 XLR with 34K miles for... wait for it... $38K! That was like a $75,000 car three years ago and now I can get it for the price of a new CTS! I figure if I wait another 3 years I can pick one of those bad boys up for a cool $15K...

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
if he gets that bumper painted no one is really going to care that he just spent $600 on it, receipts or not.
I agree, but what I'm saying is, I think there's more to lose (in time and money) by NOT fixing it. If he can get it fixed for $500, have it looking like new, and sell it next week, I'd say that's a better option that messing around for months with people trying to low-ball him because of a $500 scratch. I think he'd get lucky to get an honest $9000 offer with a bad bumper. Folks are either going to walk away, or offer $7500 for the car, not knowing what other "surprises" they may find, even if we know there aren't any. You never get a second chance to make a first impression. Trying to sell a car that needs body work -- you're going to get an offer like you're trying to sell a car that needs body work, no matter how cheap it might be.

I guess what I'm saying is, if I have two identical STSes in front of me, one for $10,000 with good paint, and one for $9,000 that needs a bumper repair, even if I know I might be able to get away with a $500 repair, I'm going to choose that pristine car 8 out of 10 times, and I bet others will, too.

The best situation is if you're in no hurry to sell it...and can wait around for that right buyer. But I don't know what his selling schedule is.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I agree, but what I'm saying is, I think there's more to lose (in time and money) by NOT fixing it. If he can get it fixed for $500, have it looking like new, and sell it next week, I'd say that's a better option that messing around for months with people trying to low-ball him because of a $500 scratch. I think he'd get lucky to get an honest $9000 offer with a bad bumper. Folks are either going to walk away, or offer $7500 for the car, not knowing what other "surprises" they may find, even if we know there aren't any. You never get a second chance to make a first impression. Trying to sell a car that needs body work -- you're going to get an offer like you're trying to sell a car that needs body work, no matter how cheap it might be.

I guess what I'm saying is, if I have two identical STSes in front of me, one for $10,000 with good paint, and one for $9,000 that needs a bumper repair, even if I know I might be able to get away with a $500 repair, I'm going to choose that pristine car 8 out of 10 times, and I bet others will, too.

The best situation is if you're in no hurry to sell it...and can wait around for that right buyer. But I don't know what his selling schedule is.
Youre absolutely right.

Ive sold cars with damaged bumpers before and people just wont pay for them. I always got the lame-ass excuse that "well I didnt realize i was gonna have to put money into it right away". And sometimes they are actually so serious they wont even buy the car at ALL that way, or they want a discount twice or more what the cost of the repair is. Ive dealt with this personally so I know for sure you need to get that bumper resprayed. Hell throw some touch up paint on it, something!

You wouldnt go into an interview for a 100k a year job in your rattiest sneakers, dont put your car in the same situation.

As far as depreciation goes... sorry bub but thats why most of us here buy used, and thats why ALOT of us buy Cadillacs quite frequently, they are a steal used for what you get. I almost bought a 2005 STS 1sg premium with EVERYTHING but AWD several months ago for 25k with 40k miles. I couldnt buy the TECHNOLOGY in that car for 25k! Unless your mouth was taped shut, I dont expect you actually *PAID* that 53k retain figure right? So figuring you got anywhere between 5 and 10k off that sticker with negotiation, and another 10k in instant depreciation... you see how quickly it goes.

So yea, 9k sounds about right, and it needs to be pristine to get that. I'm serious as a 100.00 bill.

·
Registered
Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03
1,194 Posts
If I see a used car with unrepaired paint damage, I'm going to assume its because the owner is either too cheap or too lazy to fix something that he
must see every day.
I also must assume that he is too cheap or lazy to change oil, coolant, plugs, wires, etc. on time.
I won't buy a car with paint damage at all ... irregardless of discounts.
The owner is telling me loud and clear that the vehicle is nothing more than cheap transportation, and he's dumping
it because its no longer cheap to run.

·
Registered
Cadillac
47 Posts
having been JUST in the market for an STS... (and i did buy.. a beutiful 02'... flawless, like off the lot looking flawless) This is an easy opinion....

Look at the car your selling. A cadillac. Now im not a technical genious with caddi's, like most perspective buyers would be, but they have a huge bias against them. Cadillac's a luxury car but a mistreated cadillac is a bucket... but no matter the treatment its expensive to fix. So the second i notice an imperfection... im ASSUMING so much more... now, the owners attemts to persuade otherwise would only further my suspicions. Such as an experience i had looking at an 01 STS... cracked leather... and a broken left side rear view.... a lil tape on a loose panel too. and he says... "but its a good northstar engine"... ha ha ha... f$%# off buddy i wouldnt take it for 6 grand. These aint known to be no fixer uppers.

Second, look at the perspective buyer... they are looking at a cadillac... they obviously are in the market for a convienient type car... one that is a mark of class and style. Ok... paint chips dont fall under that category!

Just like i told the seller of the 01 STS... id rather pay 13 grand for a STS i know i'll love from day one, that is immaculate... vs 6 grand for on that has a potential risk... and cadillacs are too expensive to risk...

paint that thing man... and spend a nother $150 on an super wax and wash... then mark it up for 12-13k (boldly, confidence in your lac will instill confidence in "there possibly new" lac)... then you got a clean lac... decent milage... and convenient as heck... i'll pay for that.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I suppose I'm looking at this how I would buy a used car. If the rest of the car is immaculate, there were proper service records, and I and a mechanic friend checked the car thoroughly a scratched bumper with no body damage would not deter me from buying it. This is probably because I've had my share of pristine *looking* cars that turned out to be nothing but a pile of garbage. I take for granted that this is the way I operate. Regardless... anyone with a wad of cash looking to buy a Cadillac from a private party is probably going to be someone who specifically wants one and *should be able to determine whether the car is a good deal or not. If this were from a dealer it would be totally unacceptable but we're not talking about a dealer.

I partially agree with ted though, I don't know how long the paint has been scratched (nor am I still quite sure how it happened), but if it were me I would have fixed it myself a long time ago. I like my daily drivers to be pretty, clean, and shiny.

But... all of this back and forth right now is pretty moot because we don't even know the extent of damage to the bumper. If he posts some pictures and it looks absolutely horrendous and far worse than I'm picturing I'll be the first to say I was wrong. But if it's what I'm picturing in my head and the rest of the car is in great shape I'm sticking by my guns on this one.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello all, seems as if I have sparked quite the debate here. Well first let me clear the air here. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, that is why I solicited them. Secondly, I did not buy the car new I bought it used and I took advantage of the depreciation also. I just think that it is a pretty sad commetary that a car that listed just six years ago between 50 to 53 k is only worth 8 to 10k. That's just pretty sad in my opinion but I guess it's the nature of the beast. I have enjoyed my car, but if I ever buy Caddy again without a shaddow of a doubt I will be leasing. I have attached photos of the damage and I have pretty much decided to get the bumper sprayed and through a for sale sign in it. Thanks for the opinions.
Vidal

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello all, I attempted to post pictures, however it seems as if they are to large for the forum. I will try to figure it out later. It's late and I am tired.
Good night.
Vidal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts