Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I look at my front 2 doors on my raven black V they appear very orange peeled. While all my other body panels look fine. Could they have forgotten to put clear coat on my car from the factory. When I bought the car it had clean carfax and Gm inquiry report. But now I may think my front two doors could of been repainted. Is there any recourse I can take into this. Like getting new doors under warranty bc GM ****ed up my paint from the factory??

·
Registered
226 Posts
Re: WTF is going on with my paint

There should be a warrant on your paint for manufacturing defects. A good painter w/ experience should be able to give u a better explanation.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Staxxin said:
Can someone explain what “orange peel” is?
Orange peel is most oftenly caused by spraying too much paint onto the surface at once, or the gun being too close or too far from the surface when spraying.If the thinner in the paint mix is too fast drying, that will cause it. Too hot of conditions, viscosity of the spray is too high, as well as incorrect air pressure.

Simply put...your paint looks like an orange peel.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

a common problem with black V's; yet another reason why the black V's are slower (excess drag) :sneaky: .

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

Take it to a body shop...they will be able to tell you instantly!

At least it's black...with a Silver V it would've been so dull that you wouldn't have noticed. blah blah blah :devil:

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts

6104696 said:
a common problem with black V's; yet another reason why the black V's are slower (excess drag) :sneaky: .
:histeric: HAHAHA :D

I still insist it's the photon absorbtion issue.

-Chris

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

trukk said:
:histeric: HAHAHA :D

I still insist it's the photon absorbtion issue.

-Chris
Yeah, the photon absorption is clearly the larger cause for the poor performance of the black cars, especially in the 1/4 mile, but the OPCd (orange peel coefficient of drag) doesn't help and it tends to take it's toll on the road courses.

Of course it is somewhat mitigated by the fact the owners of black V's tend to polish the crap out of their cars in order to try to keep them looking pretty, but the resulting elbow tendonitis slows down shifting speeds, and the static charge on the cars from all of the rubbing tends to attract the dust faster than it can be wiped off.

·
Registered
305 Posts

Yes but alas, those of us with superior tastes that chose black realize the benefits of keeping them clean. Even when clean, silver is still (yawn) silver.
My daughter and friends were waiting for a ride to a formal dance and I watched four of them stand next to My V using it as a mirror. A good reflection on my Black V.

Since apparently silver requires less back and forth rubbing, perhaps those with silver cars have tendonitis from some other excessive rubbing motion?

·
Registered
CTS
182 Posts

Ziplicon Tuesday said:
Yes but alas, those of us with superior tastes that chose black realize the benefits of keeping them clean. Even when clean, silver is still (yawn) silver.
My daughter and friends were waiting for a ride to a formal dance and I watched four of them stand next to My V using it as a mirror. A good reflection on my Black V.

Since apparently silver requires less back and forth rubbing, perhaps those with silver cars have tendonitis from some other excessive rubbing motion?
:histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :thepan:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

Ziplicon Tuesday said:
No, that gives you callouses long before it gives you tendonitis. Er.....uh.....so I am told.

·
Registered
131 Posts
As the entire car is usually painted at once, it sounds like your orange peeled panels are repaints. If you bought the car used, there is no reason that this would show up on the carfax. It would also not show up on the warranty report unless it was repainted under warranty for some reason. One other possibility is damage while it was being transported to the dealer or on their lot and they had it fixed. The latter would be very tough to prove. In any event, a good body shop will be able to tell if the doos were a repaint as has already been suggested.

Good luck!

·
Registered
Owned 3 V's, now driving a Wrangler and XT5
2,574 Posts
But repaints on both doors? That does not sound right. My guess it is a factory paint problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts