Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase 2013, still under B2B. What is better, have the Car Certified or Purchase the GM Extended Warantee. Does one give better coverage over the other? Assume choosing the best Plan available from GM Extended since they have several.

·
Registered
2010 SRX Luxury
373 Posts
I got my extended warranty at the time of purchase via the Dealer (Chevrolet Dealer) when I purchased my 2010 with 33500K miles, I do not know which would be better as I have not as yet had to use it. The policy is from CNA National Warranty Corp. BTW I did negotiate the price of the
policy just like haggling on the price of the car.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.... They said they could certify the car, I requested a price from them. Interesting thing, when I asked them for photos of the Rims and state of the tires, they said the Tires would be replaced when they Certify the vehicle. So, if they up the cost a Grand or so, its not a bad deal since the tires alone would run close to that mounted an balanced. Not to mention getting 7 years, 70K I think.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Performance, 2013 CTS-V
501 Posts
When I bought my 2013 sedan, last month, it was advertised as CPO. When we got through with the negotiating the salesman said I would have to pay extra for the CPO coverage. I let him know that if they wanted to sell the, car to me, the price we negotiated would include the CPO coverage. I have bought and sold a lot of cars. When I sit down to deal I know exactly how much I want for my trade and how much I will pay for the new car.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Latest, they will certify the car at no cost to me, that's a first... They stated that the tires were below the spec and they could not sell me the car with the current tires, so they are replacing them all. They printed out a complete listing with all pricing (Suggested Retail) for GM's Major Guard. I called another dealer, there price was about $300- below the suggested advertised price. It also looks like they can sell Major Guard with: $0- Deductible $100- and $200- CPO has a $0- They also stated that Major Guard was a better plan because they cover Ware and Tear. IE: Wheel bearings would not be covered under CPO, but covered under MG.

·
Registered
2010 SRX Luxury
373 Posts
Is the 70K on top of the current mileage total on the car? What is the total on the car now? If you are covered B2B currently to 50k are you basically paying for the additional 20K? When I purchased mine it had 33500k my extended was 5 years or an additional 50k which ever came first, which
takes me to 83500K miles or until July 2018.

·
Registered
2010 SRX
188 Posts
IMHO and based on several expert sources (e.g., Consumer Reports, business articles, etc.) buying these warranties are pure profit for the dealer and should be avoided. Better to set aside money that you get to keep if you never use it. Don't take my word for it; do the research.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Westham, it starts at the date and millage the vehicle went into service. So, CPO is 6 Years total or 70K, which ever comes first .

retcad, I disagree with the sources. My 2010 70K has CPO on it, since July last year, over 6K in repairs all covered under CPO. Navigation, Timing Chain, axle seals.... Worth it in my book, especially if its a DD.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
Cadillac CPO covers more but only goes to 6 years or 70,000 miles from in service date. It is a true bumper to bumper warranty, though.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was just told that the GM Major Guard will cover wheel bearings, and CPO would not because it is considered a wear and tear item.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
I was just told that the GM Major Guard will cover wheel bearings, and CPO would not because it is considered a wear and tear item.
Please read this:

http://www.cadillac.com/certified-pre-owned-vehicles/warranty.html

The complete vehicle is covered for 6 years or 70,000 miles, whichever comes first, except for other coverages listed here under “What Is Not Covered” later in this section.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED

TIRE AND WHEEL DAMAGE OR WEAR
Normal tire wear or wear-out is not covered. Tire wear is influenced by many variables such as road conditions, driving styles, vehicle weight, and tire construction.
Uniform tire wear is a normal condition, and is not considered a defect.
Road hazard damage such as punctures, cuts, snags, and breaks resulting from pothole impact, curb impact, or from other objects is not covered.
Tire wear due to misalignment beyond the warranty period is not covered.
Damage from improper inflation, overloading, spinning, as when stuck in mud or snow, tire chains, racing, improper mounting or dismounting, misuse, negligence, alteration, improper repair, accident, collision, fire, vandalism, or misapplication is not covered.
Damage to wheels or tire sidewalls caused by automatic car washes or cleaning agents is not covered.
DAMAGE DUE TO ACCIDENT, MISUSE, OR ALTERATION
The Certified or New Vehicle Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty does not cover damage caused as the result of any of the following: collision, fire, theft, freezing, vandalism, riot, explosion, or objects striking the vehicle.
Misuse of the vehicle such as driving over curbs, overloading, racing, or other competition. Proper vehicle use is discussed in the owner manual.
Alteration, modification, or tampering to the vehicle, including, but not limited to the body, chassis, powertrain, driveline, software, or other components after final assembly by Cadillac.
Coverages do not apply if the odometer has been disconnected, its reading has been altered, or mileage cannot be determined.
Installation of non-GM (General Motors) parts.
Water or fluid contamination.
Damage resulting from hail, floods, windstorms, lightning, and other environmental conditions.
Alteration of glass parts by application of tinting films.
DAMAGE OR CORROSION DUE TO ENVIRONMENT, CHEMICAL TREATMENTS, OR AFTERMARKET PRODUCTS
Damage caused by airborne fallout, rail dust, salt from sea air, salt or other materials used to control road conditions, chemicals, tree sap, stones, hail, earthquake, water or flood, windstorm, lightning, the application of chemicals or sealants subsequent to manufacture, etc., is not covered.
DAMAGE DUE TO INSUFFICIENT OR IMPROPER MAINTENANCE
Damage caused by failure to follow the recommended maintenance schedule intervals and/or failure to use or maintain proper fluids, or maintain fluids between recommended maintenance intervals, fuel, lubricants, or refrigerants recommended in the owner manual is not covered.
DAMAGE DUE TO CONTAMINATED OR POOR QUALITY FUEL
Poor fuel quality or incorrect fuel may cause drivability problems such as hesitation, lack of power, stalling, or failure to start. It may also render gauges inoperable or degrade functionality for components such as spark plugs, oxygen sensors, and the catalytic converter.
Damage from poor fuel quality, water contamination, or incorrect diesel fuel or gasoline may not be covered.
DAMAGE DUE TO IMPACT, USE, OR THE ENVIRONMENT
Windshield or glass cracks, chips, or scratches due to impact are not covered. Windshield cracks will be covered for the first 12 months, regardless of mileage if caused by defects in material or workmanship.
Lights, lenses, mirrors, paint, grille, moldings, and trim are not covered for cracks, chips, scratches, dents, dings, and punctures or tears as a result of impact with other objects or road hazards.
Cracks, chips, scratches, or other damage to the face of a radio or instrument cluster from impact or foreign objects are not covered.
MAINTENANCE
All vehicles require periodic maintenance.
Maintenance services, such as those detailed in the owner manual are, the owner's expense.
Vehicle lubrication, cleaning, or polishing is not covered.
Failure of or damage to components requiring replacement or repair due to vehicle use, wear, exposure, or lack of maintenance is not covered.
The items shown below are several examples of what is considered maintenance, and not covered as part of the Certified Pre-Owned Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Vehicle Warranty:
Audio System Cleaning
Brake Pads/Linings
Clutch Linings
Coolants and Fluids
Filters
Keyless Entry (or other remote transmitter/receiver batteries)2
Limited Slip Rear Axle Service
Tire Rotation
Wheel Alignment/Balance3
Wiper Inserts
Any replacement at the time of, or beyond the 172 Point Inspection period is considered maintenance, and is not covered a part of the Certified Pre-Owned Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Vehicle Warranty.
The Certified Pre-Owned Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty only covers components when replacement or repair of these components is the result of a defect in material or workmanship.
EXTRA EXPENSES
Economic loss or extra expense is not covered.
Examples include:
Inconvenience
Lodging, meals, or other travel costs
Loss of vehicle use
Payment for loss of time or pay
State or local taxes required on warranty repairs
Storage

----------

Nowhere does it say wheel bearings are not covered under CPO. I believe your dealer is trying to sell you a major guard warranty by falsely stating wheel bearings are not covered by CPO.

----------

To put it another way, wheel bearings are covered under the bumper to bumper warranty, so they will be covered by the CPO bumper to bumper warranty. None of the listed wear and tear items not covered by CPO are covered by the original bumper to bumper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts