Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I previously posted a similiar topic a while back but an argument caused the thread to close. I think that it is worthwhile to express any minor annoyance and issues that you have experienced while operating the CTS' iPod/USB interface.

Personally, I have an issue with the lack of "scrolling acceleration." When iPods and USB chips commonly hold thousands of songs, it is difficult to navigate through them while driving using the scroll wheel and even harder using the touchscreen's down arrows. I think if we address problems like this Cadillac can easily fix them in a future software update. I think the iPod interfaces found in BMW's and the new Lincoln MKS are appropriately address this. The BMW's scroll skips dozens of songs depending on how fast you spin the scroll wheel. Our wheel "maxes out". The MKS has buttons such as A-C, D-F, etc. under each category such as song or artist, so touching a-c will significantly narrow down the choices.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 (Fully Loaded)
75 Posts
My only issue with the Ipod Interface is the absence of sub-menus. For example, going into an artist's file takes you to a menu of every song under that artist's name as opposed to a submenu of that artist's albums which would then lead to the songs on each respective album. I know that we have the option of going directly into the "Albums" menu but the problem with that is that it is impossible to remember the name of each album an artist has released. Other than that, I'm saitisfied with the interface.

·
Registered
2008 Black Cherry CTS4 - FE2, J55
205 Posts
My only issue with the Ipod Interface is the absence of sub-menus. For example, going into an artist's file takes you to a menu of every song under that artist's name as opposed to a submenu of that artist's albums which would then lead to the songs on each respective album. I know that we have the option of going directly into the "Albums" menu but the problem with that is that it is impossible to remember the name of each album an artist has released. Other than that, I'm saitisfied with the interface.
I agree.

There are workarounds and after having the car a year I am ok with the workarounds but it would be nice if they could have duplicated the way the iPod menu works.

-Mark

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,906 Posts
A minor annoyance, but I have yet to find a way to switch playlists without raising the Nav screen and I generally leave it in the down position.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 (Fully Loaded)
75 Posts
I really dislike the fact that the playlist bar reads “Unknown” unless you select the playist after the car is already on. For example, if I select a playlist labeled “Mayimbe’s Mix” it will read as such on the screen. But if I turn the car off and then back on again the playlist bar will read “Unknown”. Therefore, most of the time I can’t just look at the radio and see what playlist I’m listening to. At first I thought something was wrong with my radio but the salesman told me that that’s just how the CTS radio reads the Ipod. Is this true?

Also, I hate the fact that the radio does not list how much time has elapsed in the current song. I have never seen a radio that does not provide such basic information.

·
Registered
2009 CTS
193 Posts
I agree about not being able to get to submenus when navigating. I'd also like direct access to podcasts. I've had to gerrymander a smart playlist to give me access to most recent podcasts.

I can't say that I've ever really had a problem with the speed of navigation through the lists. I find spinning the control knob to be fairly zippy, especially since you can rotate backwards and start working up from the bottom of the list (something I wish Ipods themselves could do).

I also would like to have the track progress bar on the display. Particularly when I'm listening to a podcast or podiobook, I'd like to be able to see how far into the show I am so I can decide if it's worthwhile to sit in the car for a few minutes after I stop to finish, or if there's enough still to go that I should just shut down and move along.

I do think they could have made better use of the screen real estate on the NAV screen to put on some more information, or even display the album art.

But, for the most part, I'm pretty happy with the way Cadillac worked with Apple on the Ipod interface.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts