Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 DeVille
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is a '92 Seville with 122k miles. Obviously it is the 4.9 and not N*. For the past two mornings the car has been running hot. By hot I mean up to 234. 220 is usually as hot as it has ever been and at that point I get concerned. The AC blows cold but it has that "smoke" effect. Meaning, the air looks like fog coming out of the vents and I can smell anitfreeze. The car is not leaking any fluids. When it reached 234 I wasn't anywhere that I could pull over so I turned the AC off. This didn't make much of a difference.

Now, knowing that crank rotation turns the water pump I'd expect that having the engine going on the road would lower the temp but it didn't. From my experience when a pump goes bad there are some leaks but again, the car is not leaking. Am I wrong to expect a failing pump to leak? Even just a bit? Perhaps the pump is going bad and the load on the engine is the cause?

This only seems to happen in the morning. I usually sit in my car during lunch for at least an hour with the air on. The car stays at about 220. Here in Florida it is hot as hell this time of year and I'd expect the car to run a bit hotter but I'm concerned. I really don't need this problem right now but I guess we can't pick and chose when a car will need something.

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
It sounds alot like your heater core has crapped out. It may be clogged or leaking, but usually the only time white smoke will come out the vents are when the heater core is shot. I would check the coolant levels to make sure you aren't losing any. But if it is clogged than your coolant isn't flowing as it should, hence the over heating. THe heater core is behind the glove compartment, if you get behind there, feel the carpet, or under the carpet, if its wet or damp, its definetly the heater core. Not a cheap, or fun repair.

·
Registered
2005 DeVille
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If this is what the problem is and it can be bypassed that is what I'll do. I can live without heat but not AC

·
Registered
2005 DeVille
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just went out an lifted the floor mat. It is damp, not a puddle but damp. I should have known.

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Yup, heater core, its usually the only reason you get white smoke out the vents. The same thing hapened to me with my 99 blazer, wasn't cheap. I'm not sure if it can be bypassed or not, but you definetly should get it fixed very soon, running a northstar hot is kinda like playing with fire.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,977 Posts
Sure you can bypass it. Just pull the inlet and out let hoses off the firewall and connect them together.

·
Registered
2005 DeVille
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found the car to be low on coolant last night even though the display didn't say so. I added some and let the car idle to see if there was any change. There wasn't in temp but now the car is dripping from the oil pan. I know the leak is coming from somewhere else of course and just dripping from there. It is a brownish water color. Doesn't feel too oily.

At this point I didn't feel very comfortable driving the car anywhere so I made arrangements through my mechanic to have it towed to their shop and evaluated. Since they are experience doing the bypass will be easy and they can diagnose the bigger issue which is the leak. I'm hoping it is only something dumb I did like too much coolant but I did study the manual before adding it.

I'll report back once I know.

·
Registered
2005 DeVille
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was the heater core(bypass only) and some other hose needed to be replaced. All that cost 130.00 but that includes towing. I consider myself lucky.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
Seein as they were already in at the heater core, it probably would have only cost extra the price of the heater core.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts