Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive asked this question a few times, and never really got a response from anyone. Maybe its because no one really has an answer to it.

I am pretty sure none of our CTS's warranties are up yet. I have a very early 2003 model and I still have 10,000 miles or February of 2006. After that...no more warranty. Its pretty certain the the CTS is not built with the highest standards in mind. So let me ask this...what will happen if our rear ends whine, what will happen if trim pieces fall off (ive had TWO C pillar pieces come off), what will happen when our navigation radios buttons chip again?

Is Cadillac going to make us pay for those repairs ourselves??? Even though they are pretty common for the CTS?

I really feel anyone planning to keep this car needs to buy an extended warranty before its too late.

·
Registered
CTS
558 Posts
Caddy Man said:
Ive asked this question a few times, and never really got a response from anyone. Maybe its because no one really has an answer to it.

I am pretty sure none of our CTS's warranties are up yet. I have a very early 2003 model and I still have 10,000 miles or February of 2006. After that...no more warranty. Its pretty certain the the CTS is not built with the highest standards in mind. So let me ask this...what will happen if our rear ends whine, what will happen if trim pieces fall off (ive had TWO C pillar pieces come off), what will happen when our navigation radios buttons chip again?

Is Cadillac going to make us pay for those repairs ourselves??? Even though they are pretty common for the CTS?

I really feel anyone planning to keep this car needs to buy an extended warranty before its too late.
Hi Caddy Man.

I hate to give a negative response...

I can't say for sure how your dealer will respond, but generally speaking, when the warranty is up, you're pretty much on your own...

I haven't had any problems at all. I love my CTS.

The only nagging problem I've had is the paint chipping off the nav buttons (which I believe is totally unacceptable for a $44k car).

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
SilverCTS said:
Hi Caddy Man.

I hate to give a negative response...

I can't say for sure how your dealer will respond, but generally speaking, when the warranty is up, you're pretty much on your own...

I haven't had any problems at all. I love my CTS.

The only nagging problem I've had is the paint chipping off the nav buttons (which I believe is totally unacceptable for a $44k car).
If you have a really good dealership they may help you out and hope you're a repeat customer. Big bucks? You're on your own. Order a new Caddy.:)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Good thing I have a 100k warranty and I only have little over 20k on the Odo

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
GM dealership service managers and area managers have the ability to authorize warranty repairs outside of the vehicle's factory warranty. This is done on a case by case basis and their decision making process goes something like this.

The first thing they do when you ask for help is punch your information into the computer. They look at your maintenance history and see how much service work you have had done at their dealership. If you have never been there before don't expect a handout. If you make noise everytime you walk in the door and insult everyone from the guy who mops the floor to the owner of the dealership... well I think you might guess where that would lead as well.

If your history indicates that you regularly service your vehicle with the dealership you are dealing with and your service writers smile when you walk in the door then you might just be in luck. I suggest not expecting that every repair will be "good will" but rarely have I seen a service department decline offering assistance to a GOOD customer.
I think I have seen a few CTS's that are well out of warranty already. Usually any repairs needed aren't too bad. Most of the "problem" (and I use that term loosely) items have already been handled by the time the warranty expires.

There is no difinitive answer because it's up to the SM and the AVM to make those calls, like I said, on a case by case basis.

Does this help a little bit?

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
Sometimes there are public/private extensions on a vehicle's warranty, expecially for parts that are known to be problematic.

For example our Saturn Vue, in the owner's manual, its says the car has 3-36 warranty, but there is a piece of paper stuck in that specificaly extends the warranty on the CVT transmission to 5-50.

·
Registered
Chrome CTS LP, 04 Cluster, WW sidemarkers, lower mesh grille
1,425 Posts
My warranty is going to run out pretty soon as well....when that happens I am going to buy an extended warranty as well....full coverage :p

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Aftermarket warranties are not a bad idea considering the cost of your average repair these days. I find that not many people (with notable exception) actually plan for a large vehicle repair expense. No one ever thinks that maintaining your vehicle is a regular financial obligation and the trend seems to be buy it and drive it. It's worse with manufacturers trying to eliminate regular maintenance because that gives you a sense that you don't have to do anything and then you get slapped with a one or two thousand dollar repair bill.
I got into this business because I couldn't afford to pay to get my car fixed!
It's twice as bad now.

Anyway, as stated, many times manufacturers have a 'special policy' on certain items like fuel injectors on C/K S/T trucks, M/L/G vans with 4.3 V6 and 5.0 and 5.7 V8s for a particular type of failure (CA emissions only).
Some diesel injection pumps, duramax injectors, and the engine in my trailblazer have special policy coverage on certain types of failures. But you either have to know about it, or take it to your dealer for service to find out if it's a covered item.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ewill3rd, I understand what you mean about the repeat and good customer thing, but what about issues that repeat themselves in teh warranty period and then again out of it. For example the interior trim on my C pillar has come off TWICE and Ive had it fixed. Im sure it wouldnt cost much to fix out of my pocket, but would they cover that once warranty is up becuse my service history has shown that it has happened a few times when it was under warranty too? Like kind of showing that it is a problematic part?

ewill3rd, let me say its great having you on the board. Information that techs and espcially more experinced techs such as yourself provide to us are a very valuable resource. THANKS!

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
Certain emission systems items are covered by extended warranty per Federal law. By law the emissions have to remain below a certain level for a prescribed length of time and the manufacturer has to provide the service to accomplish this.

·
Registered
11 CTS Sport Coupe, 2000 Carrera GT3, 2013 Jetta
86 Posts
One word: LEASE!:D

Or to futher answer your question, "What happens when the warranty is up"?
Answer: Your F**ked!:hide:

·
Registered
CTS
531 Posts
I dunno.. I don't keep cars long enough for the warranty to go out. I like to contribute to the population of the used car market. With that said, I don't mind getting my hands dirty and turning a wrench!

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
I do all of the work on all of my cars, including the CTS even though a 100,000 mile extended warranty came with the car when I got it. With proper maintenance, there is little to go wrong. If something breaks, you simply fix it!

My last Jeep had 230,000 miles using dyno oil every 5000 miles. It still ran and looked like new, until it was totalled. The only major things were the transmission at 125,000 and a fuel pump at around 200,000. My attitude is that if an engine blows, it's time to build a much better one!

I figured I don't have much warranty left, since I've replaced so much anyhow (bodywork, airbox, exhaust, radio, instrument panel, wheels, suspension, and soon, Brembo 14" brakes.) I still want a supercharger!

BTW, my new plates read "NOTA V". LOL

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
odysseus said:
I do all of the work on all of my cars, including the CTS even though a 100,000 mile extended warranty came with the car when I got it. With proper maintenance, there is little to go wrong. If something breaks, you simply fix it!

My last Jeep had 230,000 miles using dyno oil every 5000 miles. It still ran and looked like new, until it was totalled. The only major things were the transmission at 125,000 and a fuel pump at around 200,000. My attitude is that if an engine blows, it's time to build a much better one!

I figured I don't have much warranty left, since I've replaced so much anyhow (bodywork, intake, exhaust, radio, instrument panel, wheels, suspension, and soon, the brakes.) I still want a supercharger!
Ody,
Didn't you build that Jeep for your son? Did he total it? Did you replace it? Off topic I know but in time you get to know some of the members.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Nah, we still have that. I had a '94 5.2L Grand Cherokee. As with all my cars, they don't stay stock for long. Airbox, exhaust, tires, and suspension are the first to get upgraded. I got rear ended at a stoplight in DC by an 18 wheeler. Needless to say, the Jeep lost and I was pinned in the Jeep until they could pry the doors open. I walked away, but that's what got me into the CTS. I figured it was Gods way of telling me to get a new car, after years of procrastination. I wanted a safe car with On-Star in case it ever happens again. I was also tired of 18mpg on the highway with my weekly 400 mile commute. I keep them for at least 5-7 years, so I get what I want. No use being cheap and getting something you're unhappy with for years.

My son is about to get his license, so we spent last summer building a '99 Cherokee for him. Same deal . . . high flow cat, 2.5" performance exhaust, K&N filter, 4" lift, 31" tires, skid plates, lockers, stereo, etc. Cool truck for a 16 year old!

I've put more money into modding the CTS, though, than the Jeep and all its mods! I can't seem to leave anything alone. LOL

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
odysseus said:
Nah, we still have that. I had a '94 5.2L Grand Cherokee. As with all my cars, they don't stay stock for long. Airbox, exhaust, tires, and suspension are the first to get upgraded. I got rear ended at a stoplight in DC by an 18 wheeler. Needless to say, the Jeep lost and I was pinned in the Jeep until they could pry the doors open. I walked away, but that's what got me into the CTS. I figured it was Gods way of telling me to get a new car, after years of procrastination. I wanted a safe car with On-Star in case it ever happens again. I was also tired of 18mpg on the highway with my weekly 400 mile commute. I keep them for at least 5-7 years, so I get what I want. No use being cheap and getting something you're unhappy with for years.

My son is about to get his license, so we spent last summer building a '99 Cherokee for him. Same deal . . . high flow cat, 2.5" performance exhaust, K&N filter, 4" lift, 31" tires, skid plates, lockers, stereo, etc. Cool truck for a 16 year old!

I've put more money into modding the CTS, though, than the Jeep and all its mods! I can't seem to leave anything alone. LOL
Don't forget the Sail Boat Mods.:D I seem to remember your girlfriend didn't understand why you were always tearing into your Cadillac.:helpless:

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I'm taking a week off after Christmas to try to finish the sailboat upgrades, get the Brembo's on the CTS, new brake cylinders on the '65 Mustang, and get caught up with house maintenance.

Last night, I went to get my buddy some accessories from Christmas at the local Harley dealer and was smitten by an '06 Heritage Softail Springer. That's all I need is another new toy to dump more money into modding. Warranties? Get real. They're void as soon as I get off the lot. LOL

1 - 20 of 29 Posts