Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac Seville STS (November 2012, 183k)
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got home from work at 830am on Tuesday, SES had turned back on during my commute home that morning so once I got back I checked what the codes were. Showed my P0741 and my RSS code but instead of hitting "clear all codes" I just turned my key off. Well I thought by doing this it would leave the SES light on but when I came back out that night the light was off.

Now it being Saturday and my light usually turns on after 3-4 days I decided to check for codes even though the SES never came back on. I pulled the codes and found my RSS as Current (haven't had a chance to bring it back to the tire shop) but my P0741 was History. I decided to reset the codes and see what happens.

Why did my SES turn off without being "reset" and why did it cause my code to go to History?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,007 Posts
The SES responds to a fault and code which is Current, or recurring within 3 unsuccessful start-run cycles. If the offending fault does not occur, it goes to History and the SES light goes off because there is no current powertrain code to set the light.

Instead of resetting codes every time you read them, when the DIC asks "All Codes ?" at the beginning of the sequence, press NO. Now the DIC will ask "ABS CODES ?" - press YES. The DIC will show only ABS codes and then ask "Clear codes?" If you press YES, only ABS codes clear, then answer YES to the next module question, and so on. Write down the codes and start a written history log. You'll begin to get a picture of when and why the codes come and go, and a H code self-clears after 40 or 50 successful start-run cycles, depending on the module. (Hmmmm........Not sure the foregoing works on a DIC which needs the OFF and WARMER buttons to readout. Can you toggle the WARMER rocker to function as YES/NO?)

If you reset PCM codes within a couple of weeks of an emissions test the car will fail because the DIC presents the test set a "Not Ready" code. It takes 40 successful start-run cycles to set a "Ready" code - about a week or so of normal commuter driving.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its just strange that if I clear it it shows up 2-4days later but since I didn't clear all codes and just simply turn the key to off position it turned off the light but my code never reset. The code is for the TCC Stuck OFF so I don't see that clearing itself up after this long with the problem so that's why I'm wondering why it didn't set it off.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,007 Posts
TCC stuck off is a malfunctioning solenoid, either from a case crack or electrical problem. It's entirely possible that the solenoid could actually work every now and then. A stretch, but possible.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I reset my code I believe on Monday and now it came back on tonight...maybe pulling codes then just turning off the ignition without clearing them is an alternative to the driving in 3rd before a smog test. It sent the code to history but when cleared it pops back up again like usual. Strange IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts