Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
escalade
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys when i got my escalade it didn't come with the manual so just wondering what grade of gas does the manual say? or what grade you guys use? thanks.

·
Registered
'01 Pearl White - Sold 10/11, '09 Raven Black :)
737 Posts
if you want the truck to respond like a civic you go right ahead and enjoy your 87 octane.
I do not agree with the whole of the above statement - sorry but...

1. I recently switched to 87 from an almost empty tank of 93 and I could BARELY, just barely tell any difference. Maybe a very slight difference in acceleration but NOTHING AT ALL to complain about concerning the price difference lol.

2. About the Civic, lol - my (2.2L Turbo) Civic put outs over 350WHP, accelerates like crazy, only runs on 93 Octane or higher, gets about 10Mpg at full boost - lol so I found that statement funny, just funny - thats all :)

To the OP, you should be just fine with 87 unless you're a speed demon lol.

·
Registered
Cadillac Escalade
79 Posts
The owners manual calls for 87 or better in the 5.3 and 91 or better in the 6.0. It says if you run a lower grade it may slightly affect acceleration and you may develop a slight knocking noise in the engine. I always run 93 in my 6.0, the way i see it is whats a few extra cents a gallon for peace of mind.

·
Registered
99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT
1,363 Posts
been using 87 since i bought the truck.... no knocking, no bad acceleration, etc.

·
Registered
03 Escalade
336 Posts
been using 87 since i bought the truck.... no knocking, no bad acceleration, etc.
Exactly!

Once and a while when it gets to an almost empty tank of gas, I'll throw in a bottle of lucas fuel injector cleaner and treat it to a tank of 93, otherwise its 87 octane and I run my truck hard, No problems to date with pinging, knocking or anything else (knocks on wood hard). I also did a recent throttle body cleaning which seemed to help with idle and throttle performance noticeably. (Next on the list when I get the spare $ is plugs n wires since I'm at 102k and its due)

Anyways, to each they own !

:alchi:

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
As far as I'm concerned if a truck (which is exactly what this is) can't handle 87 octane fuel it's a pretty damn prissy-ass truck. Mind you, I use premium fuel in all my high tech/high performance motors, but this SBC runs 87 just fine.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hey you can do it yourself and the instructions on the can of TB Cleaner is very self explanatory and easy to do!

·
Registered
2002 Escalade
106 Posts
In the manual for the 6.0 it states that premium fuel is recommended but 87 and above will work perfectly fine. The only minor difference would be the acceleration, and maybe a little mpg.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
637 Posts
I run every grade in my 6.0.I feel no difference between any but in my wallet.That being said we have a little SLK230 MB with a little 200hp blown 4cyl...go ahead and run 87 and see what happens.That little thing is a 91 or better engine.

·
Registered
Escalade
68 Posts
I run 93 on my 5.3 but tried 87 a few weeks ago. It worked fine, but I do however think it performs noticeably better and has a longer range on the 93. With 87 I feel like I have to fill it up a good amount sooner so the price difference seems to be well worth it for 93.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Knock sensors: They detect DETONATION then RETARD TIMING.

That means in order for them to do their job and protect the motor from bad gas, you have to do damage to your engine FIRST. If you can't afford gas, stop posing and get a Cobalt.
Cobalt SS actually requires premium. :devil:

I guess it comes down to how long you plan to keep the vehicle. The little, if any damage being done before the timing is corrected would take years to develop into something noticeable in performance or reliability. And again, this is a TRUCK motor, not some high compression, high strung race car engine.

·
Registered
99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT
1,363 Posts
my manual makes no mention of using 91 or 93 .... if GM doesn't require it, I doubt it needs it.

·
Registered
Cadillac Escalade
217 Posts
I've ran a few tanks through my truck with 93 octane but mostly use 87. I didnt notice a bit more power or throttle response and damn sure didnt get any better gas mileage...but if you want to buy more expensive gas...more power to ya...

maybe if your pulling a heavy load the high octane would be better so you wouldnt get detonation...but for everyday driving...running 93 is crazy for our trucks

·
Registered
737 Posts
I've ran a few tanks through my truck with 93 octane but mostly use 87. I didnt notice a bit more power or throttle response and damn sure didnt get any better gas mileage...but if you want to buy more expensive gas...more power to ya...

maybe if your pulling a heavy load the high octane would be better so you wouldnt get detonation...but for everyday driving...running 93 is crazy for our trucks
:yeah:

I TOTALLY agree with the above statement and personally I think the octane rating would depend on how hard you drive the truck. Easy on the gas pedal and easy acceleration from a stop would be fine for 87 I think! :thumbsup: I know its hard to to be easy on this beast considering how most people drive nowdays :( even though gas prices are on the rise again...

Can you guys believe I had some kid in an old Prelude with a big fartcan constantly rev at the ass of my 'lade and then pull up next to me at a light, look all pissy and start revving again! Big mistake he made was try to speed up a hill in his Honda lol - that's all I will say for now ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts