Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well most of you know I need a new engine. My max budget is 10K installed. I will be able to use some of my parts or sell some. I have LPE stage 3 heads that I hop are ok. Not sure if I want anything off that damn old engine. I vote for an LSX 454. That way anything I add later will not be a problem. I made up my mind no matter what I'm keeping this car and will give it to my son once he is done with college.
So What Motor? And Why?:cookoo:

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,989 Posts
I'm seeing LS6 motors on eBay from time-to-time ... some with a tranny.

Might be some LS2 motors around though I haven't been looking for them.

An LS7 would be the bee's knees.

A 454 would by huge!

Of course, the ultimate would be an LS42. :stirpot:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Why not go for a Ls6 383 stroker from some guys i know for about 6000$ for the short block, put on your nice mods and get 450+hp and tq at the rear? with warrantee to boot?

Going to the LS2 or LS7 is just a headache in wiring and modifyin...

PM me if you are interested

·
Registered
476 Posts
Were it my car, I would first remove and exam the cylinder heads. It they are salvagable, your decision will be what block to buy. If not, the decision is what complete motor to buy. I think a 454LSX would be a dead end - huge cost with unproven reliability. There are a lot of short block combos out there with moderate displacement increases that can fit your budget. Start with Scoggin-Dickey as a price line.
Keep "moderation" in mind. I see guys loading up their cars with big horsepower only to find them selling the car or using it only as a track car.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
my 0.02.

I just read an article from Gm hightech last night and it had some interesting information. If your thinking about going the all motor route then Cubes is the way to get more power.

The article I was reading was about an LS2 (because this is what I have) and they were putting a set of Livernios (sp?) cam and a L92/L76 combination on the engine with a cam very close to the one your running. They got numbers like 494tq and 530hp at the flywheel with no other mods.

In the article it stated that these heads were meant for a bigger engine like a 427.

Straight out of the article
"If you've got a 400-inch motor or bigger, the L92 heads will be killer. Thosebig intake ports on a big-inch LS engine will really make some power. You're talkingclose to 700 naturally aspirated horsepower from a pump-gas car if the combination is right!"

Link to article:
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0702gm_ls2_engine_l92_heads/dyno_test.html

What I was thinking about doing,
- 427 with all forged internals.
- Stage I or II Livernois (sp?) cam
- L92 head with a L76 intake

The combination above will work NA or with a Maggie by changing the cam.

Just some thoughts for you, hope this helps.

·
Registered
Nada
2,053 Posts
SDPC is (or was) running a heck of a sale right now. Check the link here. Personally I would go with this:

L92 416 Dish Block Assembly

L92 block 4.068" bore
Callies 4" stroke Comp Star 24x crank with small journal rod bearings
Callies Comp Star small journal "H" beam rods 6.125"
Manley 2618 material 4.068" x -10cc dish pistons
Ackerly and Childs nitrous rings
Clevite "H" series race rod and main bearings
Durabond cam bearings
Also includes:
LS2 front cover w/ cam sensor
LS2 valley cover
LS2 lifter guides and bolts
LS2 billet timing set
Shipping crate

$4689.99 free shipping in the lower 48 states.

Add L92/L76 combo you should easily be over 500 to the wheels and easily coming in under your 10k budget.

·
Registered
CTS-V
672 Posts
How about the LS3 (IF it's available) from the new Vette or if you can track down a new (the C6 version) Z06, a used LS7 engine. The internals on the LS7 (titanium rods and inlet valves, sodium filled exhaust valves, etc.) make it a truly world class engine. Just not sure about the install of a LS3 or LS7 on a V.

Feff

·
Banned
Cadillac
174 Posts
Id be all over this: Katech Forged 8:5:1 402 Turbo Stroker long block w/ ARP head studs/Turbo cam
(Complete long block with all accessories included, coils, oil pan, covers, gaskets, sensors, timing chain, blueprinted oil pump and turbo camshaft. Motor was setup for high boost and is rated handle up to 1400HP. Just drop it in……..YOU WILL NEED NOTHING!) Serial # K-1813 - $6000 (BRAND NEW, NEVER FIRED!)

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
If I sell my motor, I'm going with a ~440" motor, which would be very similar to an LS7 (wet sump, rather than dry, different crankshaft sensor (that means no need to change computer, etc.). I'm thinking, however, it would be a little more than your max budget, but I saw a dyno run on the exact same motor, save for the fact that this guy did a fairly rad cam, while I would put a cam in to be sniffer compliant. The motor pulled ~585 rwhp, so I'm predicting low 500s to the tires...and high durability, as a 440" motor isn't working hard at all to make 500ish rwhp. :D

·
Banned
Cadillac
174 Posts
this is the real deal right here......
byt the way if im breaking any rules lmk, im just trying to help silbver out by letting him explore his options....im just copying and pasting good deals on random engines.
I have a SDPC Iron 402 brand new on the stand for sale. It is a new block, eagle crank, scat H beam rods, manley pistons, and ackerly & child nitrous rings. Motor should handle 250 shot pretty easy. I'm looking to build a solid roller lsx block setup and this needs to go. Looking for 4200 on a brand new motor.

I also have a brand new Vengeance racing custom grind for a L92 setup. Cam is 250-266 112+4. Same lobes profile that just make 600+ in a 440 setup. These lobes PERFORM! Looking for 350 for it. In the original box with cam card.

·
Banned
Cadillac
174 Posts
Seems expensive, but its turnkey:

This engine was assembled by wheel to wheel power train. This Engine has less than 400 break in miles on it. It has not even had a tune yet. I had to break the clutch in for 500 miles before it could be tuned. I assure you it was babied for the 400 miles, just some heat cycles on the clutch.

Wheel 2 Wheel said that this engine is 600 hp at the flywheel. I had them build it to handle a 400 shot of nitrous. They said that it would handle it easily.

I have about $18,000 invested in the engine. I am asking $12,000 o.b.o for it, which is a steal. This short block from wheel to wheel is around $13,000 and I have the complete turn key engine for $12,000 o.b.o. It comes complete with the wiring harness and pcu. I live in the Detroit area and the engine is still in the car, so you can here it run before you buy it.

Here are some of the engine components:

Forged Callies Crank

Forged 4" Howards rods

Forged 4" Mahle Pistons 12cc shorties with valve reliefs

Comp cam .598/.598 stock duration.

Ported and polished heads with heavy duty springs and valves. Done by wheel 2 wheel.

6.0 iron block

arp main studs/ clevite bearings.

Ported and polished, high volume oil pump.

Fast 90/90

·
Banned
Cadillac
174 Posts
Awesome deal on some sick flowing heads .....Cartek stage 4 heads, they've been reworked twice. I dont have the sheet, but they flow in the 340 range @ .600. Only 6k on them since they were fresioned up with New patriot dual golds, and new Manly valves 2.100 intake and 1.7 exhaust. With a off the shelf texas giant cam, unmatched with the setup the car did 535 / 490. With no pully, unported fast 90 intake, and a 12bolt with 4.11's when there was 2k on the new 427. 9k total miles on these heads since they were new.

Fast 90 intake is also for sale with it, unported. They're on the car now, but can be pulled at any time as the car is just sitting.

i'd like to get $1800 for the intake and the heads. This is a killer deal considering these heads are well over 2k new. Cartek has a more then excellent race reputation and many will argue that these heads will outperform the AFR's.

Note these heads with come complete with the springs, valves and rockers.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
800 Posts
Careful Davin, I think bleee is a crack dealer looking to get you your first fix for free. Little does he know your already an addict.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Blee,
Can you PM me your number? Wife just told me to go and buy a new Range Rover!!!!!! I told her I would get rid of her before the V and drive a Rover. I think she is over my car!

·
Banned
Cadillac
174 Posts
Pm me what you may be interested in, and Ill just get you in touch with the people directly!!! It will be easier, and you can easily ask them all the questions you have and get a direct response......pm me. Oh and ps say no to the rover.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts