Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2011 DTS Base
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing out my water pump pulley tensioner and installing a new belt. After reading various threads I was just wondering if it would be a good idea to carry a new spare belt with me in the trunk? I figured the water pump belt, a serpentine belt, a quart of oil and a small socket set. I know I can't be ready for everything, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

What has happened to you where you said "I wish I had one of those with me"? Especially with a DTS

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,031 Posts
Fortunately the two belts on these Northstars are, absent an idler/tensioner pulley failure, forever. I carry some bulbs, fuses, a few basic wrenches, screwdrivers, and a multi-bit magnetic screwdriver set. A quart of oil, rags, electrical tape, jumper cables. Four red railroad flares. The AAA card.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Base
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear you about the AAA Card. I was thinking I'll save the old belt just in case I get caught in a pinch somewhere. Years ago when I owned my 1984 Jetta GLI I used to carry a box in the trunk that included a poncho and gloves.

·
Registered
2006 DTS, 2006 DTS
121 Posts
One very important MAJORLY over looked thing is the spare. If you know your going on a long trip, check the pressure in that tire. more than likely its low/flat. I didnt and i was 2 hours away from home no money for a tow that far. However the flat spare got me to the gas station to fill it up and creep it home

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,031 Posts
Yeah, that ^ ^ ^ The dumb tire takes ? 60 psi ? Really wish I had the room in the well for a real tire/wheel.

I forgot the umbrella, poncho, and a University of South Carolina stadium blanket.

·
Registered
96 FWB
1,268 Posts
In addition to a collection of handtools I'm not afraid to lose in the dark (or snow or rain) I stuffed the 'doctor's bag' with some flares. Jumpers of course and at least 4 umbrellas. But what's been more used than I'd expect have been a couple of heavy blankets, a tow strap, several 4' squares of that plant hauling sheet plastic from the home center, and a few pair of the cheap work gloves.

But no car parts.

I just saw Sub- posted again. His 1st installment was dead on, the next one is downright spooky.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,549 Posts
I used to carry a small suitcase with tools, tape, jumpers, flares, fuses, etc, but with todays cars being so much more reliable than the cars of yesteryear, (not to mention harder to work on) I can't even remember the last time I opened it. I think I still have a small air compressor and a crossbar lug wrench in the trunk, but that's about it. That suit case is now in my '69 Road Runner. In addition to all the previously mentioned basics, I carry a spare ECU, ballast resistor, coil, V-belts, multimeter, bulbs, etc., but then, that's a car of yesteryear.

·
Registered
2020 XT4, 70 Cougar conv, 2002 DTS
862 Posts
Not fully "a car of yesteryear" if it has an ECU?

·
Registered
2011 DTS Base
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do have to agree with Ranger regarding not carrying as much, or at least possibly needing to use it now as in the past. In the past I had a medium sized storage box which contained.. Poncho, sweatshirt, jumper cables, zip ties, oil, rubber gloves, a couple extra fuses, a gallon of water, multi-screwdriver and a small socket set. I always have and still do carry a fully charged flashlight in the glove compartment of both our cars.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Base
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd love to carry a full-sized spare with me. But I do check my spare tire pressure at least twice a year and always before leaving on any trip of more than 200 miles.

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,337 Posts
I carry in all my vehicles a first aid kit, LED flashlight, Umbrella, phone charger and spare tire. I have roadside assistance on my DTS, Lincoln and RAM and AAA for the Xterra.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
759 Posts
I’ve got a pet peeve when it comes to a couple of things with my Cadillac.

1. I try to avoid using the parking brake unless it’s absolutely necessary.

2. I absolutely don’t jump start any vehicles with my Cadillac, I don’t care who it is. You better call someone because I sure as hell ain’t letting you connect any cables to my Caddy. Lol.

I’ve been asked twice since I’ve had this car and my 1st reply is “hey man my battery is under the backseat and I don’t even know where the connections under the hood are”

If they refuse to take that as a hint then I flat out tell them “hey I don’t jumpstart any cars with this car. Sorry but I do not do it”

People are just too impatient and I’ve had instances where people have made the stupid mistake of connecting positive to negative even when you specifically tell them which 1 it is... Or they refuse to follow the correct order when connecting/disconnecting the cables and I won’t leave my Cadillacs electrical system in the hands of anyone to go and mess up. I won’t even jump start my own vehicle with my Cadillac.

From now on I’m going to have this in my glove compartment just so that the next person doesn’t take it personal when I refuse to give them a jump. Lol.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium w/1SD | 1999 Deville Base (RIP @179K Miles)
466 Posts
I think I'm the only one who keeps "one of everything". I consider the trunk my car part storage.

I have half a bottle of coolant, 1QT of oil, 1Qt of Dexron VI and a small bottle of brake fluid.

I also have a "collection" of WP tensioners/pulleys and belts. 3 water pump belts, 2 Tensioner/Pulley sets, and 2 Pulleys.

One pulley is the original one I took off the car and the second is a spare I had. I tried regreasing both pulleys but ended up messing up their seals.

One of the belts is the Original one, the second is a Dayco belt I bought on clearance, but it looked old and started showing excessive wear after 2 months of use. I eventually put a "gator back" belt on the WP and that's been fine.

I bought a no-name tensioner pulley on eBay for $18 A few months later, Amazon had a Gates Tensioner/Pulley/Belt combo for $10. I figured why not and when the box came, The parts looked just like the OEM one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ve got a pet peeve when it comes to a couple of things with my Cadillac.

1. I try to avoid using the parking brake unless it’s absolutely necessary.

2. I absolutely don’t jump start any vehicles with my Cadillac, I don’t care who it is. You better call someone because I sure as hell ain’t letting you connect any cables to my Caddy. Lol.

I’ve been asked twice since I’ve had this car and my 1st reply is “hey man my battery is under the backseat and I don’t even know where the connections under the hood are”

If they refuse to take that as a hint then I flat out tell them “hey I don’t jumpstart any cars with this car. Sorry but I do not do it”

People are just too impatient and I’ve had instances where people have made the stupid mistake of connecting positive to negative even when you specifically tell them which 1 it is... Or they refuse to follow the correct order when connecting/disconnecting the cables and I won’t leave my Cadillacs electrical system in the hands of anyone to go and mess up. I won’t even jump start my own vehicle with my Cadillac.

From now on I’m going to have this in my glove compartment just so that the next person doesn’t take it personal when I refuse to give them a jump. Lol.

I’ve only been asked once, I told him that if I pulled two cars worth of current from my charging system the electrical system goes into a hard shutdown. Two of my front brake pads were less than half worn, so I tossed them under the spare tire. May come in handy some day.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V6 AWD
57 Posts
I do have to agree with Ranger regarding not carrying as much, or at least possibly needing to use it now as in the past. In the past I had a medium sized storage box which contained.. Poncho, sweatshirt, jumper cables, zip ties, oil, rubber gloves, a couple extra fuses, a gallon of water, multi-screwdriver and a small socket set. I always have and still do carry a fully charged flashlight in the glove compartment of both our cars.
Zip ties are one the greatest creations of man kind !! Someday I'm gonna build a house out of zip ties.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts