Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Catera
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Recently purchased a 2000 Catera with low miles (45K) confirmed by CarFax. While it had the timing belt campaign performed on it in 2002, I'm going to replace the belt, tensioner, the two idlers and the water pump.

The local Saturn store is doing the work, even though I've told them their parts cost too much, they have no problem with me supplying them (we determined the labor portion prior to talking about where the parts were coming from). "Do it all the time" the service advisor said. "Oil changes, brake jobs, you name it."

Bought the water pump local from NAPA, comes complete with seal. Have the belt kit coming from Rock Auto. It's Gates # TCK285AP, described as "belt, tensioner, two idlers and five seals."

What I'm trying to avoid is showing up missing something. Any other gaskets, clips, etc...I need?

Thanks,

Marvin

·
Registered
Catera 2001
343 Posts
Hi All,

Recently purchased a 2000 Catera with low miles (45K) confirmed by CarFax. While it had the timing belt campaign performed on it in 2002, I'm going to replace the belt, tensioner, the two idlers and the water pump.

The local Saturn store is doing the work, even though I've told them their parts cost too much, they have no problem with me supplying them (we determined the labor portion prior to talking about where the parts were coming from). "Do it all the time" the service advisor said. "Oil changes, brake jobs, you name it."

Bought the water pump local from NAPA, comes complete with seal. Have the belt kit coming from Rock Auto. It's Gates # TCK285AP, described as "belt, tensioner, two idlers and five seals."

What I'm trying to avoid is showing up missing something. Any other gaskets, clips, etc...I need?

Thanks,

Marvin
I think the TCK285AP kit is the key. If it is a dealer they may follow GM prescribed procedure and recommendations and as such might change certain bolts and pulleys around the auxiliary belt as well as some odd bolts, etc. They also might use a timing belt cover gasket, plenum intake gaskets if that is in the GM procedure as it is pretty tight in there and also charge miscellaneous like adding Dexcool after replacing the water pump, etc.

Get one fixed all in one written estimate that they will honor. This job is dealer heaven in labor also unless you can do yourself.

Good luck.

·
Registered
Catera
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Had a Cadillac store quote me $1,342.00 P/L. Didn't ask for the breakdown. There's Saturn store right down the road , figured what the heck, the same motor was in one of their cars in 2000 as well.

First started to talk to the service writer, who determined the labor to just shy of $400.00. Didn't think that was too bad, so he sent me to parts. Parts guy says "$131 belt, $108 tensioner, $95 water pump". Looking good I thought. So I ask about the idlers. He says "Oh yeah. You need two. That's $146. Each". WTF! I asked him how that could be when I could get a kit from Rock Auto for under $200.00 for the belt, tensioner and two idlers. Of course he didn't know.

So, after thinking about it for a couple of days, now I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and buy the parts from the dealer ( and pay roughly $1,100.00 for the job) and have them on the hook for everything if it goes south, or stick with my parts and pay roughly $700.00 for the job.

So that's where I'm at.
:banghead:

Best,

Marvin

·
Registered
Catera 2001
343 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Had a Cadillac store quote me $1,342.00 P/L. Didn't ask for the breakdown. There's Saturn store right down the road , figured what the heck, the same motor was in one of their cars in 2000 as well.

First started to talk to the service writer, who determined the labor to just shy of $400.00. Didn't think that was too bad, so he sent me to parts. Parts guy says "$131 belt, $108 tensioner, $95 water pump". Looking good I thought. So I ask about the idlers. He says "Oh yeah. You need two. That's $146. Each". WTF! I asked him how that could be when I could get a kit from Rock Auto for under $200.00 for the belt, tensioner and two idlers. Of course he didn't know.

So, after thinking about it for a couple of days, now I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and buy the parts from the dealer ( and pay roughly $1,100.00 for the job) and have them on the hook for everything if it goes south, or stick with my parts and pay roughly $700.00 for the job.

So that's where I'm at.
:banghead:

Best,

Marvin
For $1100 they may give you a 90 day warranty.

For $700 they most likely won't give any warranty.

People at Omegaforums (our Catera is derived from Vauxhall/Opel Omega) in UK do the job for approximately $160 from my re-collection.

The above numbers are rip-off and I suspected you will run into these numbers. Unfortunately we have few choices other than DIY or go to dealers or knowledgeable mechanics who know this car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
Catera
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HA!

Then it might actually be less expensive for me to fly someone over and back...:yup:

Chicago is nice this time of year...

Best,

Marvin

·
Registered
Catera 2001
343 Posts
HA!

Then it might actually be less expensive for me to fly someone over and back...:yup:

Chicago is nice this time of year...

Best,

Marvin
Thought occurred to me too. The people in UK are very knowledgeable about this car. You may want to check out the omegaowners forum.

Cheers.

·
Registered
Catera
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey USEDCAT,

Thanks for the PM. Been out of town, just got it. Couldn't reply, I'm too new.:yup:

Best,

Marvin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts