Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1997 ETC, 2002 STS
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have had a recent run of bad luck with my '02 STS with around 135K miles, culminating in what I'm pretty sure are headgasket problems so I am trying to decide wether to have them fixed or find another car. I've looked at the newer STSs but really don't like their quality and comfort compared to my '02, rwally don't like the newer DTS either, look too much a Taxi/Limo.

• On my 02 STS I have recently replaced:
  • Fuel pump
  • Battery (was at least 7 years old so didn't owe me anything)
  • Front Mount (for the third or fouth time, bought a genuine GM mount so hopefully that will be better)
  • Transmission oil cooler hose which sprayed oil all over the engine compartment
  • Air intake duct
  • One TPMS sensor (wondering if the other three are far behind)
  • Taillight bulbs and a couple of sockets
  • Wiring near the trunk hinge which caused the backup sensors to malfunction
Over the last few years:
  • A/C compressor and both hoses (compressor probably didn't need changing it was actually the hose that was leaking)
  • Power steering hose which appears to be leaking again (wondering if the hose issues are related to the mounts)
  • A/C mix door actuator
  • Front hubs
  • All shocks/struts with factory original parts
  • Coil pack (front)
  • Radiator
  • Water pump (twice)
  • Both front driveshafts
The only thing I can think of that is not working are the heated seats, need to troubleshoot them to see if it is the elements or something else.

What other major problem might I have on this car in the next say 20K miles? Are there any transmission related issues?
I've never done the O2 or the Cam/Crank sensors, are they a problem?

Also, the car has used a quart of oil about every 300 miles since I got it at 75K miles and the bottom is always covered with oil. Always assumed that it needed block reseal, is there anything else that can cause excessive oil use.

Thanks in advance.

I do most of my own maintenance and have a TECH2 so electrical problems don't concern me too much.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,314 Posts
What other major problem might I have on this car in the next say 20K miles? Are there any transmission related issues?
Yes, the TC seal that will cause the P0741 code and the TCC solenoid that will cause the P1860 code.

Also, the car has used a quart of oil about every 300 miles since I got it at 75K miles and the bottom is always covered with oil.
If you where "using" a qt every 300 miles, I suspect it would be smoking pretty bad. I suspect you are leaking more than you are using.

Both of the above can be taken care of much easier, although at an additional cost, when the engine is out, should you decide to replace the HG's.

·
Registered
1997 ETC, 2002 STS
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I have never seen any evidence of burning the oil but I agree it has to be going somewhere, been assured the reseal will fix that.
Decided to get the head gaskets done, when I dropped it off and the guy tried to start it, it just clicked, so it is getting a new starter at the same time:)

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,183 Posts
The oil leak - the oil filter adapter and/or the oil pressure sending switch are common leakers.

There's a new (2008) procedure for doing the oil pan and halfcase seal replacement - if necessary. It uses a bead of GM UltraGray RTV in the original silicone seal grooves. Special GM TSB on the work, and if you go into the lower end (usually unnecessary) then the expense inflates quite a bit.

Will the mechanic use BigSerts (Time Fastener Co., TimeSert replacement), Norm's Inserts - - - or NP studs (requires engine removal from the car) ?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,314 Posts
Decided to get the head gaskets done, when I dropped it off and the guy tried to start it, it just clicked, so it is getting a new starter at the same time
That sounds more like a battery problem than a starter problem.

·
Registered
1997 ETC, 2002 STS
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Decided to get the head gaskets and reseal done.

Have been hearing a sound from under the hood which I'm sure is the radiator fan, confirmed it with my Tech2 by forcing them on. Probably a bearing or something in the motor, or maybe it got bumped during the engine pull wish they would have spotted it while it was all apart. The guy who did it has offered to take it out, says he knows the trick to avoid having to drain the whole cooling system, will take it back soon.

Strange and probably not related, started having to put a lot of coolant in it again, would fill it up and within a few miles the "Check Coolant Level" warning would come on! Just happened to look into the surge tank when I was putting coolant in and saw a bunch of parts in there. Fished out a spring and a couple of rubber seals which were all the parts from the underside of the cap. Put a new cap on seems better now.

My latest complaint is rattling from the front speakers which I hadn't noticed before. Assuming it is the speakers themselves and not distortion from the amplifier but I will test the amp before pulling the dash, I understand the Bose amp is under the back seat.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,183 Posts
If the front speakers are rattling it's either the surrounds have failed, cones are cracked, or the speakers themselves (frames) are loose. You must use the special, cranky, low impedance Bose speakers.

If the tank cap fell apart then the cooling system was operating at atmospheric temperature - so the coolant would begin to boil right at the low speed fan setting - 224 degrees. I'd do a triple check to see if another cap part - the inner seal cap - might be blocking the surge tank lower coolant fitting - the one that allows the heating/cooling expanding/contracting coolant to flow in/out of the surge tank.

Here are the boil points for various coolant concentrations at several system pressures. Our cap is supposed to be an 18 psi unit.

Note that the recommended 50/50 ratio is out of sequence ....... Cadillac allows ratios up to 70/30, but really unnecessary.

Coolant Boiling point.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts