Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,657 Posts
EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation.......

What it does is it "cools" the combustion temp by letting burnt, and therefore inert gas enter the combustion chamber......

The valve is the apparatus that controls how much exhaust gas goes into the intake collector........

Usually what happens to cause EGR failure is either clogging of the EGR passages, or the EGR valve sticking, either in a partially open, fully open, or closed position........

I dont know if the EGR design is the same as on the Q, but you can test its operation by pushing up on the valve at idle, and if the speed decreases then its working.......

If I recall correctly from previous posts, the EGR is constantly working, whereas on my car it ONLY comes on at cruising speeds.......

· Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,657 Posts
On my car, the EGR valve is really easy to fix...... Just two bolts holding it to the plenum and one nut attaching it to the EGR tube...... Valve is something like 50, and maybe 20mins to replace...... If you can turn a wrench, you can do it........

Id inspect EGR clogging and valve operation before I jumped the gun and replaced it......

On my car, most EGR clogging occurs on the valve itself, on the intake colletor side....... The actual tube doesnt really get clogged........

Kevin, can you test the EGR valve the same way as on mine........

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.