Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Still randomly looking for a second 90's Fleetwood to add to the collection, and remembered this one. Saw it many, many months ago on Autotrader.com, and it's still there now.

Specs:
-1993 Fleetwood Brougham
-Cotillion White w/ Garnet red leather
-64.5k miles
-Vinyl roof delete option
-Aftermarket sunroof (headliner also seems to look a little funny, in the one pic I can see it)

Doesn't look to need much except a good cleaning and tires, but I've never seen it in person to know.

Now, the part that threw me. The used car dealer it's at has it advertised like this:
Retail: $9,990.00
E-Sale: $6,990.00

Looking it up on Edmunds used car values (the only ones that are even remotely close to the real world), I got this:
Private Party: $3,307.00
Retail: $4,654.00

Even though the miles are low, it is 13 years old, HUGE (not the highest in demand today), and the less popular L05-powered model year, so I can't see it ever fetching anywhere near what they have posted.

I'm thinking a max of $4k based on the pics, but wanted to get some opinions of others here.

It's at one of those "we finance everyone and help rebuild your credit" kind of joints, so I'm thinking that might have something to do with the inflated asking price.

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (some show and some go!)
607 Posts
I'd say that it's worth $4000 cash, take it or leave it.

If they've had it awhile they should be eager to get rid of it, and cash in hand is better than nothing.

Of course, pending a successful test drive and mechanical check-up.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BCs71 said:
I'd say that it's worth $4000 cash, take it or leave it.
If they've had it awhile they should be eager to get rid of it, and cash in hand is better than nothing.
Of course, pending a successful test drive and mechanical check-up.
Of course. $4k seems to be the general consensus from a few people I've asked, at least based just on the brief description and small pic.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Wow without the vinyl top it looks like a longer deville. I don't like the base top it seems odd I've grown a customed to the standard brougham vinyl top.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ocjmakaveli said:
Wow without the vinyl top it looks like a longer deville. I don't like the base top it seems odd I've grown a customed to the standard brougham vinyl top.
True, but being white, I think it would be MUCH easier to maintain without the roof--won't stain, won't mildew, doesn't need any special protectant, etc. Just wash and wax like the rest of the car.

Right now, I think the car is quite ugly with those trucky looking blackwalls. Put a new set of whitewalls AND a set of chrome Brougham wheels, and I think it would look quite good.

Here's a few more pics:

^^I'm trying to figure out what the gray stuff is on the top edge of the passenger's door--looks like duct tape:hmm:

^^You can see how the headliner looks a little funny, most likely from when the aftermarket sunroof was put it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dealerships like that make money by getting you to sign a loan for like $20000, then they sell you a car worth 5 or 6 grand and keep the rest of the money. Im in the process of buying a 95 Fleetwood Brougham now (ANyone know where any are at?) and thats what i ran into. This guy has a 95 Brougham in Va Beach. The price is $7995. When I called him and asked is he financed he said yeah, then he said well $7995 is the cash price, he didnt say what the finance orice was. Im thinking hed pump it up to about 10 grand, then find me a loan for around 20 grand, keep the 10 grand profit + the $3000 he told me I would have to have to get financed. Man I wanted to punch him in the face.

Its sad how you can have not so good credit and get screwed like this as a result. If theres any dealers out there feel free to post.

bunyan

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bunyan said:
Dealerships like that make money by getting you to sign a loan for like $20000, then they sell you a car worth 5 or 6 grand and keep the rest of the money. Im in the process of buying a 95 Fleetwood Brougham now (ANyone know where any are at?) and thats what i ran into. This guy has a 95 Brougham in Va Beach. The price is $7995. When I called him and asked is he financed he said yeah, then he said well $7995 is the cash price, he didnt say what the finance orice was. Im thinking hed pump it up to about 10 grand, then find me a loan for around 20 grand, keep the 10 grand profit + the $3000 he told me I would have to have to get financed. Man I wanted to punch him in the face.

Its sad how you can have not so good credit and get screwed like this as a result. If theres any dealers out there feel free to post.

bunyan
This doesn't seem like THAT much of a joint, because they have a massive inventory of mostly luxury cars a lot newer than this Fleetwood (this is the oldest car on the lot), and for the most part, everything seems very appropriately priced and reasonable.

I just think, when they saw this car, knowing how rare they are and that it had so few miles, the almost $7k advertised price seemed okay--even though a check of what comparable others are selling for says different.

Regardless, there's almost always a bit of a cushion to "pump up" the price of used cars at a dealer, so I don't think getting them down quite a bit would be TOO hard....then again, I still haven't had a chance to call.

Still thinking I might just wait until the Spring anyway, since I don't want to have to find a place to park a car and have it sit all winter long while I'm away at school.

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac Deville
10 Posts
Not sure how important it is to you, but from the picture of the interior showing the part of the dash, it looks like the dash pad has a few good sized cracks. That is a very costly fix or you could get a cover for it. But that right there should make them lower the price. Then you have a questionable headliner and a aftermarket moonroof. Check it good for leaks and quality of installation. I had a aftermarket moonroof put in a brand new Crown Victoria when I bought it since the factory didnot offer one at the time. The installation was botched and 2 days later I found the car's floor filled with water after a storm. The car was never right after than. And after 2 years it started rusting around and under the rubber around the moonroof. Check this car over very well even if you get it for $4,000. I think it would be worth closer to $3,500 considering the dash needs fixed, tires need replacement and possibly the headliner. You live fairly close to NJ. I see alot of them here in NJ. Might be worth the Ferry ride over to check a few out. Sometimes it is worth driving further for the right car than getting a lackluster one close to home. I made that mistake too many times.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NJCadillac said:
Not sure how important it is to you, but from the picture of the interior showing the part of the dash, it looks like the dash pad has a few good sized cracks. That is a very costly fix or you could get a cover for it. But that right there should make them lower the price. Then you have a questionable headliner and a aftermarket moonroof. Check it good for leaks and quality of installation. I had a aftermarket moonroof put in a brand new Crown Victoria when I bought it since the factory didnot offer one at the time. The installation was botched and 2 days later I found the car's floor filled with water after a storm. The car was never right after than. And after 2 years it started rusting around and under the rubber around the moonroof. Check this car over very well even if you get it for $4,000. I think it would be worth closer to $3,500 considering the dash needs fixed, tires need replacement and possibly the headliner. You live fairly close to NJ. I see alot of them here in NJ. Might be worth the Ferry ride over to check a few out. Sometimes it is worth driving further for the right car than getting a lackluster one close to home. I made that mistake too many times.

All very true. I noticed the dash before (EXTREMELY common problem) and that the headliner looked funny to me--which pretty much confirmed that the roof was an aftermarket unit. Then there's still the tires, etc. It's definately not worth anywhere near the asking price, and the more I think about it, probably less than the $4k I was thinking just from pics.

Regardless, this is just one of those "hmm" kinda deals that I found on the net. Not an absolute must have, but really like it--especially since it's so close to my current '93, except for the vinyl roof delete. There's very few color/option combinations I'd REALLY like to have, and this one is about as close as I've ever found so far.

These cars are still fairly hard to find, at least decent ones for sale, that is. Even more so, because there doesn't ever seem to be any local ones and the only other place I have to search is Ebay, Autotrader, and Cars.com. There's probably a lot more in, say, local papers around NJ or even MD, but I just don't have access to them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts