Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter time is approaching very fast, and I want to think about what kind of wax I want to use...... Obviously, since its winter, im not gonna be too concerned about shine, but it needs to be really durable.........

This is what I have in my garage right now........

Imperial paste wax
carbrite (pink) polish
eagle one wet polish/wax (synthetic I think)
turtle wax color cure

Thats just what I have available, I dont mind going out and getting something else........ I dont wanna do any of this mail order stuff (IE zaino), because I know I can get something about the same OTC.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
elwesso said:
Winter time is approaching very fast, and I want to think about what kind of wax I want to use...... Obviously, since its winter, im not gonna be too concerned about shine, but it needs to be really durable.........

This is what I have in my garage right now........

Imperial paste wax
carbrite (pink) polish
eagle one wet polish/wax (synthetic I think)
turtle wax color cure

Thats just what I have available, I dont mind going out and getting something else........ I dont wanna do any of this mail order stuff (IE zaino), because I know I can get something about the same OTC.........
did you start this thead in March
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless march was 15 mins ago!! :D
 

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
Joined
·
2,043 Posts
i hear paste wax is better than liquid wax...i always use meguires gold class.
 

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
Joined
·
13,353 Posts
100% synthetic "waxes" will outlast carnauba wax 5 to 1 in durablity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,805 Posts
I have the best luck with Mcguirers (can't spell) and Mother's. They last the longest
 

·
Banned
Cadillac
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
I have always used anything with carnuba because of the Brazilian plant it is derrived from. Something about the plant secretes the wax to protect itself from the rays of the sun. Give me some examples of the so called "synthetics" I would like to look into them if they are good. Canadian winters are the WORST! Lots of salt, and it is not uncommon to go through a muffler every year. Turtle wax "super hard shell" got a Consumer Report best wax rating a couple of years ago, so I find it good also on my cars. Zymol is over 20 dollars here, and I won't pay that much, even if it is good, there are others. I've also used Mother's California Gold carnuba, but find the durability not as good as the others I have mentioned.
 

·
Registered
87 Deville
Joined
·
630 Posts
JJhomer83 said:
I have the best luck with Mcguirers (can't spell) and Mother's. They last the longest
The only thing i use on my cars is "Meguiers Deep Crystal System" It's a 3-step process but the results are Amazing!
Step 1 is the Cleaner
Step 2 is the Polish
Step 3 is the Carnuba Wax
They are sold seperatly for about 5.00 ea and they are a liquid. I had my own detail business at one time and alway's used the liquid. It wipes off easy too and dry's quick. Wax is just wax but this 3-step system is the best thing i have seen in a long time. I bought mine at Auto Zone.
 

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
Joined
·
13,353 Posts
You may want to get The Wax Test www.gurureports.org they tested the top 46 "waxes" for amoung other things durablity, and they rate the different waxes. Some of the top synthetic products are Zaino, Klasse, Blackfire (this is not 100% synthetic, it contains oils) Liquid Glass (does not last as long as Zaino or Klasse)
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
Joined
·
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone heard of imperial paste wax??? Used it once, and I dont think it lasted too long...... It went on really thick, if I recall...... Although, Ive only used liquid wax before that, so maybe I didnt let it dry thoroughly........
 

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
Joined
·
7,651 Posts
I'm pretty loyal to 3M products, but lately I've lost a little love for their paste wax. I'm trying Zymol next time.

But back to 3M, I use their rubbing compound, "Swirl Mark Remover", and "Imperial Hand Glaze" about twice a year.

The waxing gets done about 4-6 times a year, heavier emphasis on the winter months when I try to do it once a month starting in November.

In the summer I hand wash with a car "shampoo" that leaves behind a waxy residue. I usually only wax in June.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
I agree. This is the stuff I use, and it works wonders! Restored the paint on my car beautifully.

SoundAdvantage said:
The only thing i use on my cars is "Meguiers Deep Crystal System" It's a 3-step process but the results are Amazing!
Step 1 is the Cleaner
Step 2 is the Polish
Step 3 is the Carnuba Wax
They are sold seperatly for about 5.00 ea and they are a liquid. I had my own detail business at one time and alway's used the liquid. It wipes off easy too and dry's quick. Wax is just wax but this 3-step system is the best thing i have seen in a long time. I bought mine at Auto Zone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I have used the kind of wax you use on wood floors for years on my Cadillacs. The paint still shines real nice and water just beads right up. It won't scatch paint jobs either like some of that stuff that says its for cars. I don't know why they sell something that says it's wax and it feels gritty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts

·
Registered
1995 SLS 200K miles
Joined
·
372 Posts
I'm the 'old geezer' whor uses Armor All on his POS Honda..lol I use Meguiars on the Caddy and although it takes a while to finish the job, it lasts.

The Honda looks good as well. Armor All is holding up fine. Takes 20 minutes to do the whole car.
 

·
Banned
Cadillac
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
Gramps said:
I have used the kind of wax you use on wood floors for years on my Cadillacs. The paint still shines real nice and water just beads right up. It won't scatch paint jobs either like some of that stuff that says its for cars. I don't know why they sell something that says it's wax and it feels gritty.
I know what you are talking about, and it is Carnuba wax. It has been a floor wax for quite a while, and my mom used it for that purpose in the 60's. I would like to try Zaino, but what is in it, and why is it so special, where is it made. (sorry if I missed this info on other threads, my time on the net is limited these days) Is it a wax or a polish, there is a difference! I have read that with a good polish, you still need to wax after.
 

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
Joined
·
13,353 Posts
Ralph said:
I know what you are talking about, and it is Carnuba wax. It has been a floor wax for quite a while, and my mom used it for that purpose in the 60's. I would like to try Zaino, but what is in it, and why is it so special, where is it made. (sorry if I missed this info on other threads, my time on the net is limited these days) Is it a wax or a polish, there is a difference! I have read that with a good polish, you still need to wax after.

It's a 100% synthetic wax, the owner when he invented Zaino called it a polish because he did not want any confusion of his product being called a wax, because back when Zaino came out all waxes were carnauba. Zaino is made in New York, being a 100% synthetic it offers unmatched durablity, nothing will last longer, and the shine is pretty good too ;) , can't tell you what is in Zaino because I would probably lose my job. ;) There is no need for a wax if you use Zaino, you will have all the protection you need
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
hcvone said:
It's a 100% synthetic wax, the owner when he invented Zaino called it a polish because he did not want any confusion of his product being called a wax, because back when Zaino came out all waxes were carnauba. Zaino is made in New York, being a 100% synthetic it offers unmatched durablity, nothing will last longer, and the shine is pretty good too ;) , can't tell you what is in Zaino because I would probably lose my job. ;) There is no need for a wax if you use Zaino, you will have all the protection you need

Anybody ever used Prolong "paint sealant"?
 

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
Joined
·
13,353 Posts
Max2001 said:
Anybody ever used Prolong "paint sealant"?
We tested it on a few trucks and snowmobiles, it lasted longer than carnauba waxes but not as long as other synthetic sealants
 
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Top