Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching the news last night they were talking about speed rader cameras (like the red light cameras) on the freeway around Scottsdale Ariz. This could put a real crimp in your late night drives.

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
license plate covers that haze out your plate number work just fine to defeat these nefarious devices

F

·
Registered
05 Maggied V Black/Black
1,158 Posts
"license plate covers that haze out your plate number work just fine to defeat these nefarious devices"

Not true, computer enhancement will reveal the tag every time. In some areas the "Hazed plate" is illegal as it obstructs legibility of the plate to police. Be careful...

·
Registered
04CTSVsc
854 Posts
Anyone from the DC area want to comment? From what I recall, they've been using these things around the Beltway for some time now....

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
We had the red light cameras here in VA Beach for about 3 months. I was approaching a red light in my V with a minivan on my tail. As the light turned yellow I knew I could stop and I also knew the minivan would not and could not. I ran the light with the minivan tightly on my bumper. I saw two flashes. One for me and one for her. Never got the summons in the mail, but I'm fairly sure she did. IMO these cameras cause more accidents than they prevent. Instead of rolling through an intersection safely, nervous drivers slam on the brakes and cause an avoidable accident.

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
163, although I'm sure my digital speedo said 167. Could've been 163 though I was pretty nervous.

·
Registered
04 Escalade
131 Posts
In Virginia (and DC too), it is illegal to have any cover over your plate. It is not enforced much, just something they can pull you over for if they want to, or write you up for if you act like an a$$ to them. A few DC cops got embarassed a few months ago when they had plate covers on their personal vehicles (or was it there actual police cruisers?). Anyway, it was pointed-out to them by the local news hounds.

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
These cameras are a joke--they exist not as a tool to prevent accidents, but to generate revenue. It's a total joke.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
1,181 Posts
In parts of Maryland they have "aggressive" driver imaging in place. I heard at one point they were testing "speed" imaging.

·
Registered
'04 CTSV
60 Posts
Staxxin said:
In parts of Maryland they have "aggressive" driver imaging in place. I heard at one point they were testing "speed" imaging.
I lived in Crofton for 2 years and wasn't sure about what they meant by "aggressive driver imaging". What is that?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think they say that with red light cameras that T-bone accidents go down, but rear end accidents go up. All I know is that when they had them in Fairfax County, I would always be ready to nail it to be sure I made it through if it was turning yellow...

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
1,181 Posts
JRoller said:
I lived in Crofton for 2 years and wasn't sure about what they meant by "aggressive driver imaging". What is that?
My understanding of the system is that it uses photo/video, radar and strategic road markers to track “aggressive” drivers. Example, if you are driving over the speed limit and continually changing lanes in a short period of time… The above will be able to determine based upon their guidelines if you are an aggressive driver and issue a ticket.

·
Registered
193 Posts
willsctsv said:
They have to prove it was you driving the car, so they will probably just mail a ticket but can't give points.
Yup! I got one on Queens Blvd. Just a fine. They can't prove who was behind the wheel. "Big Brother" is watching. Between OnStar, Navigation systems, little black boxes in cars and Easy Pass transponders, someone knows where you are at all times.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts