Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm Ok with EV vehicles in some instances..... but I cant stand digital displays - much easier to quickly look at where a needle is for readings ...... and look at the steering wheel - what a cluster F, and the dash dash controls! who wants to be driving down the road paying attention to buttons and scrolling features settings and not do any actual eyes on the road driving??

Its my opinion being a old fart...

EV's definitely have their place for certain driving needs and sometimes they fall short.....im gonna have to replace mine someday, new car prices are off the hook...

steve

·
Registered
2013 SRX PERFORMANCE, ICE WHITE
614 Posts
I have enough trouble trying to remember to plug in my golf cart when I get home from the golf course. Fortunately, if I have forgotten that chore I can drive to the club house and use a club cart.

What do I do if i forget to charge my automobile? Who loans me a replacement?

All of my electric vehicle concerns come about peripheral items like this, not about the actual vehicle.

gmc

·
Registered
2013 Caddy SRX Luxury
373 Posts
We have enough problems with Caddy’s with gasoline engines…can you imagine the problems they will have with a Caddy EV?

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sure would not want to buy the first year model thats for sure

·
Registered
2011 Cadillac SRX Luxury edition
30 Posts
They are not marketing these cars to us boomers. My granddaughters and great nieces and nephews (Gen X, Millennials and Gen Z) love them. Let's face it. Chances are very slim that we will be buying a brand new car. As for them, absolutely.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
207 Posts
I still am wary of EVs. Seems to me they won't last, and when they break finding a mechanic is going to be tough and repair costs are going to be astronomical. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
2,642 Posts
Cadi Dealer's have enough trouble just trying to figure out CUE. I wonder if they will have knowledgeable mechanics to figure out what might be wrong with a malfunctioning Lyriq?!

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
712 Posts
Half-baked crack pot idea. When fully charged they don't go that far. Need a "quicky" charge on the road? Take a few hours and then how far do you get? Another 100 miles? 200? I'm talking brand new vehicles. What about a 4 or 5 year old vehicle? Is there even any way to judge how far it will go? How much life the batteries have? I read that replacement is in the $6-7000 range! I see these as being the bic lighter of the car world. It totally will not work except for rich people who don't drive very far.

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thing im most troubled by is that we have to import the lithium/ rare earth materials.... and what do we do with the old batteries? seems we are dependent on outside countries for energy and having to deal with the hazardous waste? recycling/making harmless the chemicals will also generate more pollution, i dont think they will ever be viable for long distances as you mentioned - unless we can perfect small fusion reactors LOL. Here in loony land there is decent access to chargers - some are free

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
712 Posts
The other big problem the US manufacturers are facing is that they were allotted 250,000 $7500 allowances to make the vehicles appear to be affordable. I believe most all of these have now been used up for the major players in the US market, but guess what? China is building electric vehicle plants at a fevered pitch that will soon be available for sale in the US and they have all their credits still. One I heard which will retail at $17,000 USD will actually end up being under $10k with the credit applied. Now how does that stack up price-wise with the electric Caddies, Chevs, Fords, and Mopars? What I see is GM, Ford, and Dodge going out of business as there is no way they can compete price-wise, even without these goofy credits.
This is all smoke and mirrors with electric cars and renewable energy. The feds are subsidizing not only the auto manufacturers, but the windmill and solar panel industry in an attempt to fool us all into thinking this is affordable. Which it is not. The liberals and their green agenda are ushering in an era of poverty. Did anybody read the paper today? Gas rates have DOUBLED since last year. It's insane to make electricity out of gas. We need gas for heating. What we need and likely will end up having to do is to return to nuclear power which was a wonderful way to make power. Almost zero pollution. Almost like free power. Sure you got the spent rods to deal with, but soon we're going to have mountains of spent batteries to deal with. IMO it makes more sense to deal with the spent rods.

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac SRX Performance
2 Posts
Half-baked crack pot idea. When fully charged they don't go that far. Need a "quicky" charge on the road? Take a few hours and then how far do you get? Another 100 miles? 200? I'm talking brand new vehicles. What about a 4 or 5 year old vehicle? Is there even any way to judge how far it will go? How much life the batteries have? I read that replacement is in the $6-7000 range! I see these as being the bic lighter of the car world. It totally will not work except for rich people who don't drive very far.
I couldn't agree more. Cadillac should be ashamed of it. No way I would ever buy an electric vehicle.

·
Registered
2013 SRX &2015 SRX
10 Posts
My next vehicle will be a plug-in hybrid I would like it to be a Cadillac but I think it will be a Lexus (because Cad does not make one). I had a 20013 and 2015 SRX and my wife and I only really need one car. But all-electric would not fit my needs, I make a few trips and like heat and AC which cuts the mile range most 400 range only get 250 in summer or winter. A plug-in with 50-60 mile range would fit 90% of my needs but renting for the 10% may be in the middle of the night cuts out all electric.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm Ok with EV vehicles in some instances..... but I cant stand digital displays - much easier to quickly look at where a needle is for readings ...... and look at the steering wheel - what a cluster F, and the dash dash controls! who wants to be driving down the road paying attention to buttons and scrolling features settings and not do any actual eyes on the road driving??

Its my opinion being a old fart...

EV's definitely have their place for certain driving needs and sometimes they fall short.....im gonna have to replace mine someday, new car prices are off the hook...

steve
If your going to trade often to keep a warranty and you don't intend to take any road trips, then fine. If your just commuting around town it may be ok. If your out on the road and can't find a fast charger your 8 hours in-between driving to get charged up. Twenty to 45 minutes if you can find a fast charger. So making time on road trips are out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Cadillac should be ashamed of it. No way I would ever buy an electric vehicle.
I agree with you 100%. I never want an electric car. There are too many limitations such as range and availability of a charger. What a shame this country is moving in this direction.

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
712 Posts
I hate to be such a naysayer, but I can think of all sorts of reasons this is a dumb idea. So lets say you live up north like I do and get caught in a snow squall which happens pretty often. Maybe right in town or not far from home. Now not only are your batteries working overtime pushing you through the snow, but you got the heat blasting, wipers on high, defrosters on high, rear defroster on, lights on. Then what happens? Car slows down? Wipers slow down? Heat gets luke warm, windows ice up, car stops running? Leaving you dead in the water with maybe not even enough power to activate your hazard flashers. I'll walk before I'll drive an electric car which is what I suspect a whole lot of Americans will be doing soon. Either that or riding buses to get around. This kind of vehicle is just going to be too expensive, too unreliable, and really too big of a PITA to have around. Plus with all the power plants shutting down it doesn't take a genius to figure out what that'll do to electric rates. What if it takes 50 bucks a day to charge your glorified golf cart?

GM are you listening? Lifetime fan here who will never own another GM car. If I was going to buy a dumb electric vehicle it would be from a company with a proven track record. I remember last time, in the late 70s when the feds forced you to make changes. It resulted in a decade long run of terrible cars. Anybody else remember those days? Surely most of you have been in one of those awful cars that were too small, had no power, were unreliable, and still got far worse mileage than the Japanese cars that basically took over the entire market.

Anybody remember the bailouts to keep the American manufacturers from going belly up? Well, it's happening all over again. I'm not sure what the Japanese car makers will do, but the Chinese are positioned to take over the market. Remember you heard it here first. Will the feds bail out the US car makers again or just concede one more industry to China?

OK, getting off my soapbox now. I just can't believe we're even seriously considering electric vehicles as a viable option for the average American.

·
Registered
2016 ELR
9 Posts
They are designed to charge 100 miles in 10 minutes. My 2016 ELR has been fabulous. It only goes 39 miles on a charge, but the gasoline engine recharges the batteries once the charge is low. I'm hoping that as battery power density improves that ultimately I will be able to replace the current battery pack with a newer higher density pack that will increase the mileage, possibly providing an all electric range of 100 miles or more.
I plan to buy a lyriq, once the (high output) charging stations are more plentiful on my route to the mountains. Note that I am over 70.
Personally I love cue. Those that complain about having to take their eyes off the road apparently haven't become used to using steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
2016 ELR
9 Posts
I agree with you 100%. I never want an electric car. There are too many limitations such as range and availability of a charger. What a shame this country is moving in this direction.
I love my ELR but I look forward to all electric like the lyriq. They are faster, quieter, and require much less maintenance.

·
Registered
2013 Caddy SRX Luxury
373 Posts
have you ever noticed your two year old phone won’t hold a charge like it did when it was new?
I wonder if these electric cars will be that way?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts