Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 97 STS. With a Delco tape Deck. I would like to take that one out and install a JVC CD/MP3 player. What do I need to complete this job? Any special wiring harness? Anything I should disconnect before I remove it?

I tired to to it myself once already, and crossed some wires and car would not start. I since put everthing back together and looking to start over, the right way. Any help would be awesome...Please save this noobie!!!!

Thanks!

Gary

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Youll have to get the special wiring harnesses and stuff like that..... I would recommend calling crutchfield, as their customer service is second to none and they cna tell you what you need to do!!! Unfortunately I dont know enough about stereo systems to tell you exactly what you need....

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
By the way, Im going to move this into the infotainment section for better respsonses there!!! :)

Oh and I almost forgot... Welcome aboard, thanks for signing up :wave:

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
Do a search here, There was a problem with getting a dashboard adapter to fit in the void where your old head unit was. The '97 may be available, but I know for a fact that there isn't one for 2000 and later. You might have to get one custom made.

Crutchfield has been an invaluable resource for me, and I've installed or enhanced systems in four cars over the past five years.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Ok first you need a wiring harness that is the first thing that you are going to need. Make sure you get the one for your car. They are very specific in what cars they are used for. After that you need a headunit adaptor to fit in your car b/c your aftermarket is smaller than the delco one.

Once you have those 2 pieces i will go on from there.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
That is the adaptor your going to need
the wiring harness that you are going to need is at best buy and circuit city. Go to one of the following and find the one for your car. Once you have that we can move on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I called circuit City, Best Buy, Crutchfield, and carstereohelp.com(there 800 number), none of them have it. Carstereohelp.com asked me if it has a CMD box in it. I have no clue if it does. So anyother ideas where I can get this wiring harness at?

Thanks, and sorry for being a pain.

Gary

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
well if you can't find the harness you are going to have fun doing the install but it can be done. Your going to have to hand wire everything that you need to put it. are you just doing a headunit swap or are you going further.
another thing is that you can take your old headunit to circuit city or best buy and try to match it up that way.
let me know what you think.
don't worry about being a pain. ill respond it just might take an hour or 2

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, I found a harness. http://www.audio-direct.com/cgi-bin/pgen_asp/pagegen.asp?itemnum=GWH346

It should be here in a few days. I hope that this is what i needed!! Since I already cut off the previous plug, does it make sence to get a harness?? Since I will have to re-connect the factory plug back on to the cut wires?

I am just taking out the old Delco tape deck, and putting in a JVC MP3/CD deck that I got for christmass. The Deck is already out. Just need to know how to put in the other radio. Have no Clue what wires go where. As soon as I can get some direction I can start on it.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
well you can take this 2 ways since you already cut the wires get a wiring diagram for your car so you know what wires are what and start connecting them to the approiate ones that are on your headunit according to the diagram provided by JVC.
Or you can connect all of the wires and go from there and use the harness.

let me know what else you have questions with

Does your headunit look like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2452634098&category=38639

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, Where do I find a Wiring diagram for my car? I am clueless on that.
My radio does not look like that. It is Delco Electroncis Part Number: 16249806.
The Bass, treb, bal and fade are push in buttons that turn, located under the SEEK TUNE button twords the bottom. I am searching for a picture of one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that one is a little different, but almost identical. Diffence is this on listed on ebay has a random button next to the eject and the Tape and band buttons are named different. Other then that looks the same.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Collinsg said:
that one is a little different, but almost identical. Diffence is this on listed on ebay has a random button next to the eject and the Tape and band buttons are named different. Other then that looks the same.
A chiltons manual will tell you what you need maybe the owners manual. Search online, get a Factory service manual, go to the dealership get a printout for FREE. etc... find one

From there take the diagram from the JVC and connect things togehter if you get stuck post. if not let me know how it went let me know for more info

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I got a Chilton manual. Guess what, no wiring diagram. AHHHHHHHHHH Does anyone have one for this car? Man what a pain.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok i think I found what i need. My next question is, accoring to the Chliton manual I have an amp or something (Remote Radio Receiver) located by the antenna. Do i have to remove this in order to install my cd player??

HEre is the wire diagram, its about half way down.

http://www.corvetteradios.com/Page.html

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
that is b/c the bose systems have amps for there speakers. Me personally i would run NEW front speaker wire from the door to the headunit,
or you can find out where the amp(s) are and by pass them.
with the factory wiring if you still have it cut match up the wires that you need for your new cd player if you put it back together get a wiring harness

all depends on the job you want to do and how much labor and time.
right now you need the equipment before the install can be thought of doing b/c you need to know everything that has to be hooked up before you start b/c you might do different wiring configirations depending on what equipment you have

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do not have a Bose system in my car. I have a Delco Tape Deck. I will hack away at it, getting frustrated and no one seems to have done this on a 97 STS with a Delco Tape Deck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts