Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood, 07 CTS, & 94 Caprice Wgn
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been a little slow around the forum with the Corona virus and isolation etc. So maybe this will jump start it.

I'll start. Been going through the 94 FW that I picked up last fall. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I noticed a few wet spots on the driveway. Had a pretty good idea where the leaks where coming from. Yup, I was correct, oil cooler lines and oil filter adapter. Once they start leaking, out they go. I replace the oil filter adapter w/cooling lines, with an adapter from a 4.3 (little LT1), that has no cooler lines. It is a direct fit, just need a new gasket and "O" ring. I usually find the 3" "O" ring has flattened out and the gasket is missing, replaced with silicon.

This will be the third car I've done it to. No more leaks and not sure the oil cooler really does much anyways. Engine underneath is now bone dry. Make sure the rear bolts on the intake manifold are snug. That was yesterday's accomplishment.

Today, not having any records on the transmission maintenance, I changed the fluid and filter. Of course the pan was spotless and the fluid like new. Better safe than sorry. One other thing I did today was put in the window AC units, keeps the Mrs. happy. They will probably be used about 3 days here in the northeast.

Tom

·
Registered
96 FWB
752 Posts
Yes, slower than the 6 months before the new year fershur. I'm either proud or bored stiff I ain't got much to report I've done on mine recently. I got a good enough deal when I picked it up in '16 that I spent the next year overdoing about every maint. and upgrade I could think of. Everything in the signature line plus deep clean carpet and dash pad, relined every interior pad, 100% new everything brakes and front suspension, and and and. I'm now to the point of just being able to list things I do "with it" instead of "to it". Every Sunday wife and I have been striking out and cruising giant 3-hr. loops around town or outlying areas. My record so far is only getting out of the car 3 times in the past 8 Sundays; once for gas, once for bourbon and once to duck in a Lowes on Mothers Day filling the back and trunk with summer annuals.

I really don't have much left except cutting in resonators, dropping the front another ~1", and a monochrome 2-tone paintjob. One suggestion for the thread is everyone has to include a pic at least their first post here:

Bonus shot of the day I brought it home and next to my first FWB of 16 years:

·
Registered
Cadillac
814 Posts
I dusted it off with a Kaliforniya car duster coz it's been sitting for too long.

Going to take it for a spin now that it's nice out.

'77 Deville (Sopranos model). Photos from end of last season

·
Registered
1978 Cadillac SDV (Commodore Blue Met.)
65 Posts
I finished removing the plenum area from a 472/500 intake mani i picked up awhile back off CL. It turned out pretty good, probly not machine shop quality but i enjoy doin as much as i can with my own two hands, i learn alot n get more confidence in my abilities n overall satisfaction in the end. I thought it was a pretty clean part when i bought it but after finishing the mod i spent the next 2 days on 2 seperate cycles of filling it with purple power degreaser, let sit overnight n then ran a long bendy brush i got that was perfect for the job through the runners to scrub it out, came out super clean when finished n i was glad i decided to do the second soak, i found a couple tiny lil sharp raised castings while looking down runners so i took a small file n was just able to reach them n get um knocked down. Then it was on to a prep for paint followed by a few coats of old gm blue. Turned out great! Yesterday i started removing the single plane intake from my 78SDV to swap in my newly finished piece. It went fairly smoothly but damn, what a pain in the ass that ac compressor is! I mean did they have to put it smack dab in the middle n on top of everything else?? Ive grown to despise the sight of that thing everytime i pop the hood, tbh with u ive seriously been contemplating yankin the whole system out while ive already got it partially apart. Im just tryin to remember if it even works or not, up here in WA state u hardly ever have any need to use it, cant even recall last time i did. Been tellin myself, if it does work then ill leave it be, but if not, out she comes! Imo the engine bay would look alot better without that whole system in there. We'll see what i end up deciding to do with it as i finish up with the intake swap. After pullin that heavy ass stock intake outta there i couldnt stop thinkin bout how i was gonna manage to set the other one in there nice n carefully with precision on top of the newly installed gasket, this really worried me, but when that time came i was determined n i channelled my inner beast n got it done, that was around 10ish last night so i knew with work in the mornin that i wasnt gonna be finishin like i was hopin to. Still, i wanted to keep goin a lil longer so i capped off the night by installing a 1" trans dapt carb spacer along with the quadrajet n called it a night. Goal is to finish tonight n for it to start right up n run like a top! Ill keep yall updated n have some pics to post for yall to see when its done. Wish me luck! N good luck to all u out there with ur projects!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Learn as you go, that's how we all learn.

I understand what you are saying about the AC compressor, but I'd be very reluctant to remove it. It is a Cadillac and I think at sometime you would regret removing. Without AC, you won't be heading over to Eastern WA anytime soon. My wife is from there and I can remember 118 degree temperatures.

Tom

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah i kno what ur sayin, its hard to think of a cadillac with no ac n ive had that voice in the back of my head the whole time, chances r that im not gonna bother with removing it, especially if its got any R15 in it n i have to deal with evacuating it n all, but while on the topic, would u happen to kno at all, if say, my system were inoperable n if part of gettin things workin again were to add refrigerant, how much does it cost or how difficult is it to get rid of any remaining R15 n switch over to R134a? What all is involved in that process, just simply drain n refill? Is it something i could do myself? If im keepin the ac im gonna want it to blow icy cold when needed. My old tech college teacher has a few full tanks of R15 at home in his garage hes been holdin onto to like gold, he used to bring that up here n there, itd be ideal if i got ahold of him n could recharge my system with some of that stuff. Ive heard it is much much cooler than the 134a or anything else nowadays....

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, maybe someone can help, but no answers for your AC questions.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry, maybe someone can help, but no answers for your AC questions.
No worries, im happy just having any amount of interaction with fellow cadillac enthusiasts, thats the reason i went ahead n made my acct rather than just "lurking" around. -Cheers buddy!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Started this thread to "jump start" the forum, a little. It's been 1 week, 178 views and only 4 people have responded, including me. I know there have been more than 4 people tinkering with their cars.

Tom

·
Registered
96 FWB
752 Posts
I guess that speaks directly to the dwindling count of those obsessed with tooling around in lumbering 43-year old designed extinct-motored relics without even a single TV or hint of self-driving tech. ;) I mentioned I'm enjoying more the things I'm doing "with it" than "to it", and just got back from picking up this second yard of mulch sprucing up the place to make wife happy. And when wife's happy.... BTW I usually get a 2-yard load, but wife said, "Oh no, one will be enough this year." Which of course wasn't the case at all, - after she decided it wasn't the case at all. I actually came out ahead 'cause I got outta the house and only had to maintain social distancing with a Payloader. And now wife is happy again. And when....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I now own a 92 Brougham Eagle commercial chassis hearse and hope im in the right section...its a little confusing with all the alphabet soup letters...ats...ctc...tdc...etc...lol, over the last week i have purchased a mountain of replacement parts including a new gas tank which has become a puzzle because the filler is on the side and not behind the plate...the filler pipe has to be cut etc...love this car...i even painted it on a 36 by 48 inch canvas, acrylic, brush...that's what i did for her...!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess that speaks directly to the dwindling count of those obsessed with tooling around in lumbering 43-year old designed extinct-motored relics without even a single TV or hint of self-driving tech. ;) I mentioned I'm enjoying more the things I'm doing "with it" than "to it", and just got back from picking up this second yard of mulch sprucing up the place to make wife happy. And when wife's happy.... BTW I usually get a 2-yard load, but wife said, "Oh no, one will be enough this year." Which of course wasn't the case at all, - after she decided it wasn't the case at all. I actually came out ahead 'cause I got outta the house and only had to maintain social distancing with a Payloader. And now wife is happy again. And when....
I get the doing "with it" than "to it". That my friend is a nice place to be! I understand the extinct old tanks, but I guess when you're a dinosaur that's what your attracted to. After 41 years of marriage, I know about keeping the Mrs. happy. So, her car, which is opposite everything that comes under my domain, is a 2007 Caddy CTS, that I make sure has no issues or problems.

Now, I have 4 old tanks, 1. a 1994 Caprice wagon which is my good weather DD, needs nothing, 2. a 2001 Yukon XL, whose sole purpose is to get us down to GA for 3 months of winter and to carry my hoard from the FL junkyards back up north. Picked it up in GA three years ago, fixing little things on it since, but close, maybe 95%. Right now I'm chasing down a leak in the cabin; summer job. Number 3. is the 96 FW Base, bought from the son of a 92 year old doctor who was the owner. Have owned it for 8 years, bought with 66K now has 71K. The only thing I did was by a set of chrome Caddy rims and whitewalls. The last car is a 94 FW commercial chasis that I have had for 8 months, 91K. Spotted it on CL and I knew I couldn't resist. Solid body, good interior and engine ran great; but it needed a lot of piddly stuff. I figured it would take me the best part of a year to get it up to snuff, pecking away at it. Being retired, it was my busy work. I don't have a boat, motorcycle, don't golf; but I like to tinker.

I now own a 92 Brougham Eagle commercial chassis hearse and hope im in the right section...its a little confusing with all the alphabet soup letters...ats...ctc...tdc...etc...lol, over the last week i have purchased a mountain of replacement parts including a new gas tank which has become a puzzle because the filler is on the side and not behind the plate...the filler pipe has to be cut etc...love this car...i even painted it on a 36 by 48 inch canvas, acrylic, brush...that's what i did for her...
Love the painting, that is unique! Now the fun begins, putting the parts on the ole tank.

Tom

·
Registered
96 FWB
752 Posts
......NEAT PAINTING....
You got some 'Super Fly' headlights going on there eh. Also, you got it dropped nice so widen the track to follow suit!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Worked on the 96 Fleetwood yesterday. I have owned the car for 8 years, never had to do any repairs, which is nice. The car was owned by a doctor and his son owned a pretty good size repair shop. I'm guessing the son took good care of dad's car.

There has always been a minor issue, that I had to look at every time I drove it. The driver's seat bottom has 2 spots where it was repaired with one of those kits. They had a real hard feel to them, color match was OK. I've been on the hunt for a Caddy in the JY's that had the same color seats so I could cut out a piece to replace. Never had any luck in 8 years. The interior is gray, most of the Caddies are tan. I tried online, thought I hit it. Called a company, explained the problem, they said they do that all the time. Great, I sent in a sample. Couple of days later the owner calls me up and asks me how many hides I want. Ah.....a 2' x 2' piece is all I need. Well the only way they sell it is by the hide. Oh well. Also tried SEM, not really a good match, and I love SEM.

Now I'm kind of up creek. When I sent the sample to the sample to the leather company, I cut a piece out of the seat leather, out of the way, but not completely. So I knew I had to do something. I had a piece of leather that was gray, but not a perfect match. I took the seat cover off and brought it to an auto upholster that does a great job. He couldn't get any leather to match, but he hit it dead on with vinyl. The seat is a combination of leather and vinyl anyways, so what's another piece of vinyl. I'm hoping it will be done next week. Stay tuned.

Tom

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seat repair part 2

Got the seat cover back from the upholsterers, pulled the seat out and installed it, in short order. Couldn't be more happy with the match, big improvement!, just need to smooth out the cover after a few days settling in.

First picture is the before piece with the 2 bad spots and the second is the finished product. I think the list for the 96 FW is empty.

Tom

before repair.jpg
seat repaired.jpg

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Replaced window regulator rollers, not on the Fleetwoods but my 94 Caprice wagon. They are the same as the Fleetwood's. Driver side rear door window came off the track. I checked and I had all parts to do the repair, rollers and new Christmas trees. I've done this repair quite a few times and I new I could do it in less than 2 hours. That is, until I pulled the door panel off and saw that a "hack" had made the repair before.

He cut off the rivited stud and used a screw, washer, and a nut, instead of a roller. He installed the head of the screw and washer inside the rail, replacing the nylon roller.....real flimsy. As rinky dinky as the repair was, I have had the wagon 10 years and it lasted. It never sounded smooth.

So with the stud cut off, it didn't leave me much choice. I went down to NAPA, got some 10 32 screws, nuts and nylon locking nuts. I enlarged the hole in the roller, pressed the screw in for a solid fit. Installed the roller into the track and greased with white grease, all rails. I bolted the other end into the other arm, double nutted and used a nylon locking nut. It's now nice and quite with smooth operating. Put the door panel back on.

The passenger rear door always made a noise when operating the window. I knew there was something wrong. I was correct the same hack fixed this window also. This side was a much easier to repair as I knew what to expect.

I hope he didn't repair the front door rollers, as removing the door panels always comes with issues.

Tom

·
Registered
96 FWB
752 Posts
I hope he didn't repair the front door rollers, as removing the door panels always comes with issues.

Tom
Yah, not sure how close B- and D- front door panels are, but for the Fleetwoods I've done roller fixes on I have yet to find that 'perfectly permanent' adhesive to reattach the X-Mas tree holder plastic brackets that always break off the fiberboard panel.

And quite decent match on the seat patch.

Reactions: silverfox103

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yah, not sure how close B- and D- front door panels are, but for the Fleetwoods I've done roller fixes on I have yet to find that 'perfectly permanent' adhesive to reattach the X-Mas tree holder plastic brackets that always break off the fiberboard panel.

And quite decent match on the seat patch.
I know the door panels are different, but the repair with the rollers is the same. Having owned Roadmaster wagons for the best part of 25 years, I know those front door panels are junk, always breaking. I've used a combination of epoxy, fiberglass, pieces of plastic, glue gun and large fender washers to rebuild the tree holders. The panels are one of the main reasons I kept the Caprice wagon and got rid of the RMW. Haven't had to get into the Caddy panels and maybe only a minor repair with the Caprice.

Yeah real happy with the match on the seats.

Tom

·
Registered
PAST: 1978 Blue CDV, 1976 Silver SDV, 1976 Carmine SDV CURRENT: 1978 White CDV
7 Posts
Replacing a dead battery... also attempting to save a bumper filler that was supposedly replaced 2 years ago with the newer material. had been creasing in the last year, whoever installed it bolted it too tight and the creases turned into cracks. Trying to avoid a full replacement with some bondo and matching spray- luckily it didnt hit the stripe.

·
Registered
'91 Brougham
69 Posts
can someone shed some light on what this is and where it goes please? Found in the trunk of a 91 brougham

Edit: feel free to tell me its just a piece of junk that has nothing to do with the car :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts