18001 - 18020 of 18085 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T
130 Posts
=======================
We're not allowed to wash our cars in the driveway anymore
the new Peoples Republic of Canada?
Ha, it's not that bad. It's mostly because of the chemicals that get washed down the storm drains, which goes directly back to the rivers. Then people started using "environmentally friendly" soaps, but it became too hard to police that, so the city just said fuck it, no soap on your driveway. Technically you can rinse the car with the hose I suppose, but it's already becoming socially unacceptable to even do that.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
1,171 Posts
Ha, it's not that bad. It's mostly because of the chemicals that get washed down the storm drains, which goes directly back to the rivers. Then people started using "environmentally friendly" soaps, but it became too hard to police that, so the city just said fuck it, no soap on your driveway. Technically you can rinse the car with the hose I suppose, but it's already becoming socially unacceptable to even do that.
Socially unacceptable should be all the SJW's bitching...wish we could send them down the sewers to the river. The city should not restrict washing one's car but instead enact a By-Law for stores to only carry EF soaps - it's crazy what your city has done - not being able to wash your car on your own property. Pretty soon you won't be able to take a bath or wash your hair. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T
130 Posts
Can’t you wash it on your lawn?
lol no. Not sure if you're serious or not, but no. However this applies to the city (and most cities here now). If you've got a farm out in the sticks, then knock yourself out. No one will notice. This is one of those tickets like not shoveling the snow from your sidewalk. You only get a ticket if someone complains, then bylaw has to come out, and by then you're all put away.

Socially unacceptable should be all the SJW's bitching...wish we could send them down the sewers to the river. The city should not restrict washing one's car but instead enact a By-Law for stores to only carry EF soaps - it's crazy what your city has done - not being able to wash your car on your own property. Pretty soon you won't be able to take a bath or wash your hair. :rolleyes:
You can wash it, just no soap. Just having the stores sell EF soap wouldn't change anything; people would still use what they want. Most municipalities have tried all sorts of different rules but there was always loopholes so they just closed it tight. There was some grumbling initially, but it really hasn't been a big deal. You have to remember that half the year my car looks like this and no one's washing squat. The other half gets rain every other day, so most of the time people are going to commercial car washes anyway. This isn't washed away with a light soap on the driveway!

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,737 Posts
Yuck.

I made it my personal mission to never shovel another snowflake as long as I live. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
lol no. Not sure if you're serious or not, but no. However this applies to the city (and most cities here now). If you've got a farm out in the sticks, then knock yourself out. No one will notice. This is one of those tickets like not shoveling the snow from your sidewalk. You only get a ticket if someone complains, then bylaw has to come out, and by then you're all put away.

You can wash it, just no soap. Just having the stores sell EF soap wouldn't change anything; people would still use what they want. Most municipalities have tried all sorts of different rules but there was always loopholes so they just closed it tight. There was some grumbling initially, but it really hasn't been a big deal. You have to remember that half the year my car looks like this and no one's washing squat. The other half gets rain every other day, so most of the time people are going to commercial car washes anyway. This isn't washed away with a light soap on the driveway!
View attachment 579930
Yes, I know you were not saying it can't be washed, just that you can't use soap (phosphates). People wouldn't be able to use what they want if the stores only sold EF soap because on the whole that's all that could be bought, although some stubborn folks might order on line.
Doesn't look any different than where I live (in winter), and I agree that only a car wash will get that off, but I was not referring to snow and ice. I was speaking to summer spring, summer, fall washing. A car has to be washed (with appropriate soap) before it is waxed, and waxing is a must if you want to protect the clear coat/paint. Knowing this, I'm glad I don't live in Alberta...what happened to all you redneck guys, lol.

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T
130 Posts
Ha. I guess if they figure they can't regulate the oil and gas industry to clean up, then they'll start with the little guys washing their cars in the driveway!

·
Registered
1972 Eldorado Convertible (and 5 other daily drivers in the family - nothing special)
15 Posts
...I too did nothing directly to the car but have made a plan for this year. I didn't make a plan last year so there was virtually no work completed. 1972 Eldorado convertible will be coming out of the garage before the end of April. Has a bunch of work to get done this year but I really want it to be nice as it approaches 50 years old...I remember when I turned 50

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
...I too did nothing directly to the car but have made a plan for this year. I didn't make a plan last year so there was virtually no work completed. 1972 Eldorado convertible will be coming out of the garage before the end of April. Has a bunch of work to get done this year but I really want it to be nice as it approaches 50 years old...I remember when I turned 50

View attachment 580009
I wouldn't want to have to // park it 😁

·
Registered
1972 Eldorado Convertible (and 5 other daily drivers in the family - nothing special)
15 Posts
Today. I washed my car.
Hey....nothing wrong with that...provided of course that you followed safe social distancing practices during the interaction with your car...

·
Registered
96 FWB
761 Posts

Youza! Over 5" longer w.b. than mine, and I believe you have me beat on overhang too. And all that in a 2-dor. I'm impressed.

Wife and I did the weekly Sunday 2-hr. loop to places we haven't been in decades to see the build-up..... or decay. It was actually a case of both driving around where we both grew up. Last week we got the garage queen '96 Impala SS since I have to periodically, "clean all the gas outta the cylinders" ;). So yesterday it was the Cady. There's a closed mall that used to be the hotspot and I had a little fun using the locker for some drifting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i Love that line..."clean all the gas outta the cylinders"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18001 - 18020 of 18085 Posts