Cadillac Owners Forum banner

17801 - 17820 of 17833 Posts

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,322 Posts
Dishrag. A 9.6 hour run to Charleston, SC. We took turns - couple of hours at the wheel. Nary a problem or hiccup - just tiring at 79.7 years old. Head home on Thursday AM. Burned Shell and Sunoco 87 all the way and averaged 24.6 with a P 1860. Not a drop of oil. 33 psi cold, all around.

Outta here. The free bar is open and tons of snacks.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Dishrag. A 9.6 hour run to Charleston, SC. We took turns - couple of hours at the wheel. Nary a problem or hiccup - just tiring at 79.7 years old. Head home on Thursday AM. Burned Shell and Sunoco 87 all the way and averaged 24.6 with a P 1860. Not a drop of oil. 33 psi cold, all around.

Outta here. The free bar is open and tons of snacks.
Don’t know what vehicle you’re driving or what a P 1860 is but I envy your mileage. My V got a whopping 18.5 mpg with 91 octane on my last trip. Of course the fun factor has to be considered. :)

·
66,322 Posts
Driving the 2002.5 STS (VIN 9 300 hp 3.71 final drive performance package) and P 1860 is the total failure of the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) lockup pressure solenoid, so I have an extra 300 or so rpm of converter slip at highway load speeds over 42 mph.

With TCC operable the car consistently got 25 - 26.5 mph, long term open road, 87 octane E10.

Car used was named a few days ago in this thread (Post 17,797) when I said it was going on a long road trip.

We're 2.4 hours away from home right now - just above Richmond, VA and flying low. Karen is doing the driving honors. Will zig up U.S. 301 to Rt.50 and head for the Eastern Shore. My ass is asleep.

Actual gas mileage for the 1240 miles (total) will come out to 24.1 mpg.

·
66,322 Posts
Sequel - Garage checks this morning. Nothing to report. No coolant loss, used maybe 6 oz. of 5W-30 - not enough to replace - considering the annual oil change comes in October. Transmission OK, too.

We had planned to take the old Rt.17 coast highway back through SC and NC to VA, then across the Bay Bridge Tunnel to Rt.13 but blew that off and hit I-95 N most of the way back.

Nice easy (long) trip - lotsa past crew members, lies, sea stories, bourbon, FOOD.

If we feel like it we'll do a similar run to New London, CT (SubBase) in the spring for a reunion of one of my old diesel sub crews.

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Today... upgraded the amplifier for the door speakers in the Corvette to a much lighter model... holy crap what a huge difference!

The old JL 300/4 was 12.25 pounds. The new Timpano 800.4 is 1.64 pounds.

Amazing.

·
Super Moderator
6,580 Posts
P 1860 is the total failure of the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) lockup pressure solenoid, so I have an extra 300 or so rpm of converter slip at highway load speeds over 42 mph.
Don't buy or drive automatics so dumb about them. What does that slippage due to the lifespan of the fluid and heat sensitive parts?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
18,724 Posts
Don't buy or drive automatics so dumb about them. What does that slippage due to the lifespan of the fluid and heat sensitive parts?
=======================
What does that slippage due to the lifespan of the fluid and heat sensitive parts?
absolutely nothing -
it simply means that the torque converter doesn't go into "lock-up" -
you can drive like this FOREVER without causing ANY additional problems -
the ONLY adverse side affect is a slight loss of gas mileage - 1 or 2 mpg at highway speeds -

·
Registered
14 Posts
I left my 2003 DeVille parked on the street in a strange neighborhood in Queens because I have been spending time with a fast talking 1994 Corvette. I will make up with it Saturday though as will take it on a road trip to Port Jervis NY (where?). I left the DeVille parked out on the island for a few days after I picked up the Vette, when I brought a friend with me to drive it back it expressed displeasure by turning on the Service Engine light, again -- which had been quiescent for weeks. It looked surprising good though coming up in my rear view mirror -- intimidating. It's interesting to see your car from different perspectives.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Cross my fingers for you guys in the hurricane lane. Hope it will fade...

We have indian summer. Swimming every day. Very unusual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
66,322 Posts
Stay safe, 'Roo .......... looks like it's headed directly for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Applied a coat of wax....bought new tires..now on back order Coopers with white walls...the current ones have 19000 miles on them but were purchased by previous owner in 1992! So getting rid of the May Pops..had the power booster replaced yesterday, big difference braking...a fraction of what a brake chain wanted....pays to shop. Ac was converted but still alittle hot...so checking the pressure to see what it should be....had the radio rebuilt got it put back in las Wednesday so stopped for some cassettes at secondhand book shop...AC and body fill parts also on order...8/9 weeks out and should be good to go.....Oh also sold the Miata the Caddy replaced in the garage today.....2002 with 22000 miles to a Friends son, ecstatic to get a low mileage gem....Caddy is so much easier to get in...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome, Scott! Thank you for being smart and replacing those old death traps... so many guys in the Corvette groups I'm in running around on original 20 year old rubber. Horrifying.
Thanks! Think I will be in for about 5 grand once the body fillers 88000 miles on the HT4100 ...hope I am not throwing money at yard art but it is a hoot to drive...

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Eh... the way I see it - they all become yard art to somebody someday.

Today... was not a good day. My targa top wasn't completely latched so it decided to jettison itself from the car. I picked it back up, luckily (ish...):

Luckily I knew someone with a spare top, so $250 later, all was fixed - but I was really not looking to spend that money on this LOL

New top isn't as clean or nice as the one I had was, so I am going to vinyl wrap it in black. My other one was tinted on the inside and HOLY CRAP does it make a difference on interior temps. I was dying today. It'll be even better with it solid.

17801 - 17820 of 17833 Posts
About this Discussion
17.8K Replies
415 Participants
Submariner409