Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 17898 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Well, I drove the "Grey Wolf" to church this morning where she could commune with all the other old, but nice Cadillacs in the parking lot!

I lied, I drove her on her usual weekly 10 mile jaunt of twisties and freeway and it was back in the garage for her.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,700 Posts
drove back from warren Mi to Cleveland 192 miles left at 11:30 pm got home at 5am
because on my way back i saw this guy swirving slowing speeding up slowing back down fluctuation around 30-80 mph speraticly blinker on hole time in and out of his lane but never one lane for meo then 20 seconds
i got his plate number

slowed down to 15 mph to stay far behind and away got on the skirt sholder of the highway
pulled up the city i was in with the navi unit hten rmmebr you can dial *990 from cell phone and it will link you with police and emergency on highway turnpike in ohio so did that
told them i think someone is driving drunk
they asked me to stop at the next rest area or highway skirt engine break area wich ever came first and wait for a office to come to me
they did then i fallow him to where they pulled this guy over wanted me to witness that this one what i saw
they had him blow and he had enought liquire in his system to make a dog run away from his breath they said lol
how ever not even a thank you from the troopers after it wall all said an doen no apreciation at all

thats what i did with the caddy today

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,660 Posts
Drove to work. Also bought new plugs and wires. A tune up is in order!

·
Registered
2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
Spent $110 having the upper radiator hose replaced.

When I pulled into the garage Sunday night after driving in from Portland after the Chicago meet, I saw steam coming out the front of my car. Not a good sign. Too dark to really see anything, so I drove Betty to work yesterday and called my mechanic to see about bringing Sabrina in today. The temperature gauge hadn't budged from top dead center, there was still coolant in the tank and only a few drops of coolant on the garage floor.

When I arrived at my mechanic's, the steam was coming out again, so I opened the hood, and the problem became immediately obvious: the upper radiator hose was rubbing up against a pulley on the left side of the engine, and the wear had finally created a hole from which coolant was spraying.

After installing the new hose, my mechanic also used a couple of zip ties to prevent the hose from rubbing on the pulley. So any Northstar drivers, you might want to check yours.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,660 Posts
Installed a new steering wheel!

Also a really clean set of junkyard rear cargo light lenses. I'm pleased with the results. Vacuuming the beast out today or tomorrow and will have pics.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
Today I will clear the snow off & around and the Eldorado & run it for a while at an elevated idle. It will be too sloppy to take it out for a run. Its been sitting there covered for over a month.

·
Registered
19,660 Posts
That really sucks. What's your winter beater Johnny?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,188 Posts
After installing the new hose, my mechanic also used a couple of zip ties to prevent the hose from rubbing on the pulley. So any Northstar drivers, you might want to check yours.
Gary, open the hood and reach your fingers around behind and under the plastic radiator sight shield (cover) - there's a molded-in channel that the top radiator hose clips into for just that ^^^ purpose.

The truck: This AM - warmed it up, did the lazy thing and took it to Western Auto - oil & filter, rotate tires, new Exide 84 month battery. (Too damn cold on the garage floor at 28 degrees this morning.)

·
Now: 2008 STS-V, 1960 Eldorado Brougham Then: 2002 Escalade
5,826 Posts
Dropped the STS-V off at the dealership for a check engine light. None of the gauges were reporting anything out of the ordinary, waiting for the diagnosis now. First mechanic visit since I got it last August.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
That really sucks. What's your winter beater Johnny?
The Eldo is the beater. Its never been driven in snow or salt, coming from Sun City, AZ. in 07' it never has seen much rain. The battery tray has the only minor corroison.

I can get away with driving a 15 yr old car, she can not. In mid January the loyal & trustworthy 03' Caravan started exhibiting transmission problems that require near total value repairs & traded it info this 2010 Ford Fusion SEL never titled by anyone but Ford manufacturing as a fleet vehicle with low miles. 17,500mi. We paid over $11,000 less than the sticker price of $28,700- W/trade in drove it out minus $16,954.16

We had to join the 32 mpg club.

Its a very nice car with NAV, SYNC, back-up camera, blind spot radar, leather, moon, heated seats, handling pkg, 84 mo. Ford ESP warranty. It has everything with the exceptions of remote start & the V6 or hybird -a Ford/Mazda built in Mexico. 175hp 2.5 I4 was the reasonable choice with plenty of power although it just seems like a mistake not to get the 240hp V6. Its a good cruising & handling car with good leg room & a huge trunk. Its getting 24-25mpg around town compared to the Caravan 17-18mpg city.

·
Registered
19,660 Posts
The front end of those is very appealing, but I never did like the rear styling. Not bad though. :)

Back to the thread:

After classes today, running by Advance Auto to get my battery tested. I think its on its way out. Took about 5 seconds of cranking to get the wagon to start yesterday, plus this battery has been killed 4 times in the last 3 months from stupid crap from my friends. No biggie, I got it for free from a nice guy at my dad's job.

·
Registered
2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
Gary, open the hood and reach your fingers around behind and under the plastic radiator sight shield (cover) - there's a molded-in channel that the top radiator hose clips into for just that ^^^ purpose.
I looked when I picked the car up, and the hose is behind that clip.

Which made me just realize, this is likely my own damn fault. I changed out the headlights a couple of months ago, and you have to remove that cover to get to the headlight assemblies. So when I put it back on, I must not have put the hose behind the clip. :doh:

Yet another reason why I shouldn't work on my cars myself. It always comes back to bite me in the ass. :dammit:

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,026 Posts
The MPG makeover:

Switched from 19lb to 16lb injectors

180deg back to 195 thermostat

Tires: 225/60s (4% too small), back to 215/70s

MMO piston soak (google it): Removed carbon build up caused by the large injectors = No more spark knock!

Dremel wheel to the distributor contacts. The MSD 6A totally rapes distributor caps. But it s good for 1mpg calculated

Dash mounted vacuum gauge (helps to lighten my lead foot...)

Re-enabled the viscous converter clutch. Might be good for 1mpg? Certainly is annoying though...

Previuosly 15mpg, hoping to get 18 again at least!

The car is absolutely no fun to drive anymore.... :crying:

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
The MPG makeover:
Re-enabled the viscous converter clutch. Might be good for 1mpg? Certainly is annoying though...
:
Oh? I never knew you disabled it. It should be nearly undetectable if everything is working properly. As far as mpg's, it's worth quite a bit if you consistently cruise 40mph or above - more than 1mpg in my experiences.

What are those 16 #'ers out of?

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,026 Posts
I dont like the feeling when it engages. It's very subtle but Im sensitive. It feels like Im suddenly towing something out of nowhere. I put a switch in between it and the ECM.

The feeling is similar to the way a Ford AOD takes forever to downshift... Hard to explain..

The injectors are out of early 90's BMW M series. 16.7 lb/hr

21 - 40 of 17898 Posts