Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's try and liven the lounge up some.
Post up projects, hobbies, repairs on non auto related things you've been up to in the garage...
Been thinking about Orconn and he'd always start some good threads, so here's to ya buddy.

For me today was a riding mower not wanted to run even on starter fluid, plugs were completely shot, threw in an old set and away she went.
Big garage fan ate the belt while working on the mower, swapped in a spare old one. You know when the old parts are better makes you wonder.
Been playing with new plasma cutter the last week learning to wear better gloves as the sparks smart the back of the hands. I've learned my free hand cuts leave a lot to be desired. It's a super cheapo unit off ebay(under 200), I regret not getting one alot sooner after using it, I've cut easily 1/4 inch plate so far but mainly has been 3/16 or thinner.

·
Super Moderator
86,152 Posts
Pretty much the same here (over the last two weeks or so). Mower deck was making noise. Gear box had no grease left in it (after replacing the seals last year). Had enough and replaced the entire gear box ($750). Had to install and reinstall about 4 times to get everything just right. Then noticed the belt came off. Tensioner arm broke. Had to pull the deck and take it apart again to weld it. The noticed a drive pulley wobbling. Keyway had enlarged after about 30 years. Had to replace that ($115). So over $850 and a sore back, it seems to be running OK....................if my weld holds, but why should anything start working in my favor now. Did I mention that this monster is a royal PITA to mount and unmount. The thing weighs about 200 lbs. and disassembly is even worse.

·
Super Moderator 2003 Deville Base SEMPER PARATUS
4,331 Posts
In my garage today I finished repair to a kitchen appliance the wife was bugging me about. Some JB Weld and a little Dremel work and that's done. Did a detail strip, clean and trigger polish on the Glock 22. Given the heat we're having I can only work in the garage early morning or for short periods in the afternoon. Next up tomorrow I do some PM on one of the city fleet cars--I volunteer for that so I can play with the lights and siren. :)

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,607 Posts
In the garage - 1. hot melted a plastic dinner plate - tiny hole bored in the center - to a 6" clothes hanger hook affair. A suet block holder dangles under the plate - woodpeckers and small birds can get to it; grackles can't.

2. brought an old 3.5 hp 20" mower back to life. New gas, plug, oil change.

3. California Duster the (garage queen) car.

......... when the damn grass dries a bit more it's lawn tractor time. 84 degrees right now, muggy. No-see-ums everywhere. OFF! time.

·
4,331 Posts
pulled the carb & float bowl apart on a Toro Briggs/Stratton engine. Hard to start and wouldn't stay running. Trash in the bowl. Cleaned carb & bowl, compressed air through orifice. Reassembled and it started on first pull. During all of this my man cave sound system was blasting Lynyrd Skynyrd and CCR.

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,607 Posts
​Chronicle ......... vinyl

Back in the 70's - when I lived on Isle of Palms, SC - a neighbor, Roland Whiting, had a house boat named Roland On da' River.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went out to change oil and filter in mower and the Stupid mower wouldn't start again today... It hates me.
Tore fuel system apart and right in the middle of it the big fan took a dump... Think the capacitor went out.
Everything looks fine with fuel system... Hmmm I had noticed it was smoking the other day(oil smoke), pulled air filter and it's got a coat of oil on it, the brilliant engineers put air inlet directly above the exhaust. Think the mower must have got wrong oil and burned it off, plugging up air filter caused plugs to foul out. Seems plausible. I just changed the filter last year and its never dirty, usually gets changed as a might as well every couple of years. Never did get big fan running again so went back inside for the day.
Broke a couple of bolts off taking everything apart so got to practice bolt removal 101... Never gonna be a good day when at 7am you think... Where are those easy outs at.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New plugs and plugs for the mower and capacitor for the fan.. Barely got anything done today as the bad shoulder cracked like a 2x4 yesterday. Went to reach up for something at a hobby store and crack, about hurt the ear was so loud. Managed to make it back home before pain hit too hard. It hasn't hurt for weeks maybe 2 or 3 months...
Overdid it today as it's hurting like hell tonight again.
Hope everybody has a good weekend.

·
Super Moderator
86,152 Posts
I feel your pain Rod. I have a back muscle that is still sore form that damned mower deck repair 3 or 4 weeks ago. Golden years my ass!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Today I had the mower battery charged and let the engine run 5 mins.
Reason: we have 85 F and no rain for 3 months. Highly unusual but grass stopped growing.
All weed is carrying on so instead of mowing I sprayed with a hormone agent which leaves the grass but kills weed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well that no good pos mower wouldn't start again this morning... Son of a ..
Checked the valves and bothexhaust needed relashed, ran ok at best. Decided to mow the lake...
Managed to break 2 deck wheels slap off. Then shut off to pick one upand.... No crank, nothing. Ignition switch about shot, managed to finsh up. Welded new studs on deck wheels and ordered an ignition switch....
It was so hot and nasty out it was like the jungle. Unfortunately I ended up being out in it most of the day.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
18,813 Posts
I love dobermans! And I appreciate the fact that you have not "taped" her (?) ears!
======================
it's a HE - or more accurately - HE is an IT -
but - I totally agree about the ears - cruel and unnecessary -

·
4,331 Posts
I agree, altering ears or tails just ain't right. Our dog is mostly Australian kelpie mix but most people think he's mini-pin. He's a rescue dog so we don't know much about his history. Best dog we've ever had. As you can see, he's a real high strung dog who doesn't know how to relax. BTW, the reason this relates to my garage is I'm out there today working on our vacuum cleaner, which usually contains enough dog hair to make a whole new dog.

cf pic.jpg IMG_2102.jpg

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
Used 2 part expoxy to repair a cheap spot weld on my push mower bagger frame.
I don't weld, but every time I've ever used this stuff it does what I need it to.

On the topic of dogs-- we dogsit for a doberman/golden mix (also a rescue) and she is the best dog I've ever known.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
18,813 Posts
Used 2 part expoxy to repair a cheap spot weld on my push mower bagger frame.
I don't weld, but every time I've ever used this stuff it does what I need it to.

On the topic of dogs-- we dogsit for a doberman/golden mix (also a rescue) and she is the best dog I've ever known.
=====================
we dogsit for a doberman/golden mix
now THAT is a great mix -

1 - 20 of 280 Posts