Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
None
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm a proud owner of a 2006 Ford Mustang. But i recently got a awesome job as a computer maintenance tech and I'm actually making some good money now. I've came to a conclusion that I want a new car so I can finally put my mustang in storage. I'm trying to preserve my mustang so in the future when it's a classic I will have it in pristine condition. ( I don't mind waiting) anyway so my question is, would I be able to get a pretty nice CTS with a price range of $10,000 - $12,000 cash? Also what should I look for in a Cadillac? I'm guessing you guys are the pros here and can show me in the right Direction, thanks! Also this is my first post on this forum! Everythings looking nice so far! :D

·
Registered
2010 CTS 3.6L V6 RWD Performance
187 Posts
If you like the Mustang, go for an '06 or '07 CTS-V. You can sometimes find them for 12k. Just verify the the rear diff and that it wasn't owned by a drag racer. They got a bad rep for that.

·
Registered
None
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention. I know the cts-v is full of power and I'm not really looking for that this time around. I'm looking for a nice cts with good MPG I was thinking about the 08 3.6L version. Puts out 305 HP I think and correct me if I'm wrong but its also good on gas

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,403 Posts
You need to do some homework - in here - on the 3.6 engines. Beyond that < I'll let the 3.6 guys do the talking.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
263 Posts
but its also good on gas
Ahhh, that would be a "no".

I am averaging 16 mpg combined city/hwy. If I were to really drive it like a grandpa, that might go up to 18. I have not had it on a long trip yet, so not sure about true hwy mileage. So I am not especially impressed with the gas mileage.

Shakey

·
Registered
None
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awe damn lol. Do you know how much the v8 gets? I thought that the v6 was good on gas cause I watched a video and this dude said that he got 23 city and 29 highway. I can link the video if you want.

·
Registered
2010 CTS 3.6 RWD Sport Wagon (traded in for a 2011 Lexus LS460 on 12/20/17)
321 Posts
I have the 3.6 with RWD and get an average of 19mpg. I see maybe 24 on long highway trips, but 19 is my average.

I would stay away from '08s and '09s myself, just based on what I read on the forums.

As for the Mustang becoming a classic...hmm. The only fairly recent car that I remember selling for more than original sticker is the Buick GNX (in mint condition), and they were price gouged by the dealers when sold, so most people paid way over sticker for them. If I were you I'd just drive the Mustang until it dies.

·
Registered
2016 CTS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD (sold)
823 Posts
Awe damn lol. Do you know how much the v8 gets? I thought that the v6 was good on gas cause I watched a video and this dude said that he got 23 city and 29 highway. I can link the video if you want.
He probably works for GM lol. I am averaging 19 and I drive like a grandpa.

·
Registered
None
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my opinion my mustang will become a classic in the feature my model is the only model that they actually went back to the classic look. The 2010s and up dont have a classic look to them at all. But it's my plan and I'm sticking with it. Gonna make 100% profit anyway cause it was my high school car and my parents bought it for me hehe :D and I wouldn't doubt it if he worked for GM XD

C

·
0 Posts
A $12K 2nd gen CTS sounds like a lot of future trouble and a 2nd, 3rd or 4th owner swearing never to buy another Cadillac..

·
Registered
'11 CTS4 Coupe / SlushBox
11 Posts
Right now I'm a proud owner of a 2006 Ford Mustang. But i recently got a awesome job as a computer maintenance tech and I'm actually making some good money now. I've came to a conclusion that I want a new car so I can finally put my mustang in storage. I'm trying to preserve my mustang so in the future when it's a classic I will have it in pristine condition. ( I don't mind waiting) anyway so my question is, would I be able to get a pretty nice CTS with a price range of $10,000 - $12,000 cash? Also what should I look for in a Cadillac? I'm guessing you guys are the pros here and can show me in the right direction..............
Hi MrAlternation, welcome to the forum from another noob...Congrats on the new job by the way.....What part of the country are you from?

While I, as well as GM likely is, happy that a young guy like yourself is interested in a Caddy, I'm going to reluctantly rain on your parade. If you have 10+K kicking around, invest it somehow. While I respect the fact that you want to keep the gift from your parents nice, you could spend less and get something else as a driver to preserve the Mustang...Buying one of these is not a money maker, and could be, as any car, just the opposite. Spend wisely, once it's gone, it's gone. Your Mustang will most likely retain value, but in my opinion, with the high production numbers, keep her for the love and not the money.

·
Registered
2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe
3,351 Posts
CTSCHICK said:
A $12K 2nd gen CTS sounds like a lot of future trouble and a 2nd, 3rd or 4th owner swearing never to buy another Cadillac..
I agree. The '08s and '09s had their share of early model year issues. The quality seems to have gotten better in the later years, but now you are talking more money.

Before I got the V I had a '12 AWD coupe for a year and a half and 21K miles. A couple of minor issues but overall pretty solid. I averaged 21 mpg in mixed driving.

·
Registered
Previous:2005 Cadillac XLR; Current:2014 Cadillac CTS Coupe
299 Posts
I have a 2014 CTS Coupe with a 3.6 RWD. I also owned a 2010 Mustang GT. From a driving perspective my Caddy, especially in Sport mode, is just as much fun to drive as the Mustang. The Caddy is actually slightly better on gas than the GT, just about 2mpg and I drive them both freely not conservatively. The Mustang was a surprisingly heavy and large car, though the Caddy is heavier. Both need a stomp on the gas to get them moving, but both are spirited was started. I was using regular octane gasoline in both cars, something not available in most sportier cars today. The Caddy really shines in comfort and creature features. And it also turns more heads than the Mustang did... Hope that helps and good luck in your search.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,143 Posts
I have the 3.6 with RWD and get an average of 19mpg. I see maybe 24 on long highway trips, but 19 is my average.
Ditto that on my RWD.

·
Registered
2010 CTS AWD Luxury Black Raven
194 Posts
I forgot to mention. I know the cts-v is full of power and I'm not really looking for that this time around. I'm looking for a nice cts with good MPG I was thinking about the 08 3.6L version. Puts out 305 HP I think and correct me if I'm wrong but its also good on gas
I have a 2010 CTS Luxury 3.0 AWD, I'm getting 24 - 26mpg highway / city.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,143 Posts
As you know, mpg are a direct result of your right foot!

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,337 Posts
Hi MrAlternation, welcome to the forum from another noob...Congrats on the new job by the way.....What part of the country are you from?

While I, as well as GM likely is, happy that a young guy like yourself is interested in a Caddy, I'm going to reluctantly rain on your parade. If you have 10+K kicking around, invest it somehow. While I respect the fact that you want to keep the gift from your parents nice, you could spend less and get something else as a driver to preserve the Mustang...Buying one of these is not a money maker, and could be, as any car, just the opposite. Spend wisely, once it's gone, it's gone. Your Mustang will most likely retain value, but in my opinion, with the high production numbers, keep her for the love and not the money.
Dave Ramsey would be proud. :thumbsup:
Never underestimate the power of investments.

·
Registered
2008 CTS-4
42 Posts
My wife drives our 08 CTS AWD 3.6DI most of the time. Currently sitting at 21 mpg average and 55 mph average.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts