Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac DeVille base, 88,000 miles
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past year or so every time I drive over 55 MPH the car and steering wheel vibrates like hell. It's worst at about 60-70 but calms down some at 75+. Anyways, come to find out I was missing a weight on a front wheel plus one of the tires had a nail in it.
Now I just bought brand new tires all around and had them rebalanced and was also told the front alignment was spot on, yet the issue persists. So what could be causing this? I do alot of highway driving and this shimmying is driving me nuts!
I even brought the car back in for them to recheck it but they said it's fine... However, I know I need new front struts as they are SHOT. Could the bad struts be causing this? That's kinda hard for me to believe though.. Any help here guys? Thanks in advance!

P.S. It's a base model 05 DeVille.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
18,864 Posts
For the past year or so every time I drive over 55 MPH the car and steering wheel vibrates like hell. It's worst at about 60-70 but calms down some at 75+. Anyways, come to find out I was missing a weight on a front wheel plus one of the tires had a nail in it.
Now I just bought brand new tires all around and had them rebalanced and was also told the front alignment was spot on, yet the issue persists. So what could be causing this? I do alot of highway driving and this shimmying is driving me nuts!
I even brought the car back in for them to recheck it but they said it's fine... However, I know I need new front struts as they are SHOT. Could the bad struts be causing this? That's kinda hard for me to believe though.. Any help here guys? Thanks in advance!

P.S. It's a base model 05 DeVille.
---------------------------
the Seville was more susceptible to this - and has been discussed in great depth -

solutions very greatly -

the obvious tire issues - out of balance - out of round - flat spotted - slipped belts etc -

then comes bent/out of true wheels -

worn wheel bearings was fairly common -
along with inner and/or outer tie rod ends -

then comes the weirder solutions -

front motor mount -

worn control arm bushings

worn CV joints -

and the really bizarre -
worn support bearings in the trans -

and the problems weren't always from the front suspension -

·
Registered
5 Posts

P.S. It's a base model 05 DeVille.[/QUOTE.

Hello, I hate to be the guy who says the same stuff as everybody else, so I am going to say that my '03 Deville DTS vibrations were due mainly to several factors. The first was worn lower ball joints. Mine were old and devoid of any lubrication for some time. The next was my steering rack & pinion were shot and leaking, the next vibration causing parts were most definitely my front struts.
All of these together would cause my car to catch little lines or unevenly paved areas at freeway speeds(50-68 mph) and vibration through my steering wheel which drove almost to madness. I would say that since you have replaced some parts, look at the ones which you haven't. front struts are a great place to look first. I have been finding and fixing items on my Deville DTS since I bought it. this car and I have a love-hate relationship. Good luck.

·
-Administrator-
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
66,891 Posts
You are replying to a thread that has been dead for 3 years. The OP has not logged in since 2 years ago. Please look at the post dates in threads of interest to learn if you might expect a reply.

Please update your profile to show car(s) driven, location, time zone, other info. It sure helps with diagnosis and advice. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts