Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Deville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi forum. I'm doing a head gasket job on my 02 deville. I started tearing my engine done when saw the weirdest thing after pulling the manifold out. I noticed a nice amount of puddle of oil in the valley underneath the manifold. My question is has anyone run accross this and if they have where did this oil come from. The oil doesnt look black per se. I don't think its the oil from steering fluid since that oil looks to be a reddish color. If anyone has any idea i'm open to suggestions since i want to do a great job. Any other tips of things i might want to change while i'm doing this would also be appreciated. I want this car running like a champ when i'm done. Thanks

~Will

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
The two fluids smell and look different. Also, if there's a "puddle" under there, the power steering pump would have been making noise. The reservoir is small. Doesn't take much to leak out to go from full to sucking air.

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado Biarritz
451 Posts
The factory fluid and the correct replacement fluid is clear when new and degrades to look mostly like engine oil. It also does not have the smell of cheap ATF that most use as power steering fluid.

Also, if you are familiar with this occurrence as I am after dozens of head gaskets and many times more than that removing intakes for various reasons. It is always the section on the side of the power steering pump and there is usually a trail on the power steering pump bracket and no trail coming from the valve cover gaskets.

Not saying that it doesn't happen where it is the valve cover gaskets. But, in my experience it has not been that yet or at least there is no evidence of it. The valve covers overwhelmingly leak towards the outside of the engine in the direction of natural flow and at the site of natural accumulation. Sure, it could be valve cover gaskets. But, if I were the OP I would take a good look at the power steering pump. He's replace the V/C gaskets with the head gasket job anyway.

·
Registered
2000 DTS 194,000 miles, 2000 DHS 203,000 miles
893 Posts
^^yup^^ and if someone often checks tops off their fluids, the ps fluid level wouldn't be low enough to make any noise. I've done way too many too count and never found it to be oil, ever. It could happen to be a valve cover but in my experience it'd be 99% ps fluid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts