Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Escalade
207 Posts
Its orange, and i would say no, use what he manual says to use, check this out...

The difference between Dex Cool and regular antifreeze are in the additives. They are both an ethylene glycol base. Some of the additives in the old green stuff were actually somewhat abrasive to the water pump seal, so that is why Dex Cool gives longer seal life. The additives in the green tended to settle out of suspension, Dex Cool additives don't. The significant difference is how the additives behave toward corrosion. The green additives are used up at a constant rate, protecting surfaces against corrosion even if no protection is needed. The Dex additives don't actually do anything until a change in the surface exists, then the additives react with the surface of the metal to prevent corrosion. They deplete at a much slower rate as a result. The only problems I have seen are from poorly maintained systems that are allowed to run low with air in them. They can get rusty and have a lot of build up in the upper radiator and overflow. Of course, regularly checking the cap and maintaining the overflow about an inch above the hot line will prevent any problems. Vehicles that use a pressurized overflow tank with the pressure cap on the tank instead of the radiator seem to have virtually no problems, since there is no regular flow of coolant past the seal

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
You can mix brands of anti-freeze.

If you mix green and yellow anti-freeze, you can almost guarantee that you will eat up your intake manifold gasket in the following 6 to 12 months, perhaps sooner. $1000 or less will cure that--unless water gets into cylinders. For some reason, engines cannot compress water. Bingo, you get to buy a new engine.

If you are switching colors of anti-freeze, you absolutely need to flush the engine until almost all of the other anti-freeze washes out.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS-V Black On Black
1,428 Posts
Damn. My dad just finished pouring the green stuff in and that's when I realized that we should have used the orange stuff. So it's best we flush the system and put dex cool?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,520 Posts
DO NOT mix DEX-COOL and the older green coolant. Very different chemical formulas.

Here's what DEX-COOL should look like when drained. ANY cloudiness is grounds for a complete drain and refill. The coolant - siphoned out of the surge tank - in the Tropicana jug is about 2 years old.

If you don't like the rumors and old wives tales surrounding DEX-COOL, change to the new LongLife Prestone bright yellow coolant, mixed 50/50 with distilled water from a supermarket.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,263 Posts
my coolant is orange is it dex-cool? can i add green coolant to it? thanks.
Yes, Dex-cool is orange. No, do not mix green coolant with your Dex-cool. The two fluids are incompatible, and you will cause damage to your coolant system if you use the green fluid in the system. Only use Dex-cool coolant in your system!!!!

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
1,263 Posts
prob a dumb Q? but is it ok to mix GM dex-cool with a aftermaket brand? thanks
Yes, you can use aftermarket Dex-cool products and mix it with the OEM Dex-cool coolant.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
DO NOT mix DEX-COOL and the older green coolant. If you do, shorten your change interval to 2 years, MAX.

Here's what DEX-COOL should look like when drained. ANY cloudiness is grounds for a complete drain and refill. The coolant in the Tropicana jug is about 2 years old.

If you don't like the rumors and old wives tales surrounding DEX-COOL, change to the new LongLife Prestone bright yellow coolant, mixed 50/50 with distilled water from a supermarket.
I used the same brand, but I just buy the 50:50 mix version that is ready to go. I now use Zerex Dexcool 50:50.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Damn. My dad just finished pouring the green stuff in and that's when I realized that we should have used the orange stuff. So it's best we flush the system and put dex cool?
Yes. Flushing the system now will prevent any costly issues later on.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Does anybody know if there’s a specific Dex cool that a 2003 Escalade requires?

I found this Dex cool from AC Delco

https://m.acdelco.com/auto-parts/vehicle-maintenance/dex-cool-antifreeze.html

But on the website where I was about to purchase it, it said that it was not compatible with a 2003 Escalade.

Is there a specific nummer part number that I should look for?
Dex-cool is Dex-cool. There is no specific formula for one particular vehicle aside from maybe the Corvette. However, the online system may have updated part numbers for the Dex-Cool bottles that was not attached to older cars in the database like the 2003 models which can use it also, hence the compatibility flag.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I'm thinking that's an expensive 64 ounces of water.
LOL. Hey I am OK with paying a little extra for convenience. I really do not want to waste time mixing distilled water and coolant. Plus, I would still have to purchase distilled water anyway so i just buy ready to pour bottles to top off or when i drain the system.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts

·
Registered
19 Escalade ESV Platinum 08 SRX N* 13/14 Escalade Platinum
677 Posts
Does anybody know if there’s a specific Dex cool that a 2003 Escalade requires?

I found this Dex cool from AC Delco

https://m.acdelco.com/auto-parts/vehicle-maintenance/dex-cool-antifreeze.html

But on the website where I was about to purchase it, it said that it was not compatible with a 2003 Escalade.

Is there a specific nummer part number that I should look for?

From the 2003 manual

Engine Coolant The cooling system in your vehicle is filled with [email protected] coolant.
This coolant is designed to remain in your vehicle for 5 years or 150,000 miles (240 000 km), whichever occurs first, if you add only DEX-COOLa extended life coolant.
The following explains your cooling system and how to add coolant when it is low. If you have a problem with engine overheating, see Engine Overheating on page 5-28.
A 50/50 mixture of clean, drinkable water and [email protected] oolant will: Give freezing protection down to -34°F (-37°C). Give boiling protection up to 265°F (129°C).
Protect against rust and corrosion. Help keep the proper engine temperature. Let the warning lights and gages work as they should.

Notice: When adding coolant, it is important that you use only [email protected] (silicate-free) coolant. If coolant other than [email protected] is added to the system, premature engine, heater core or radiator corrosion may result. In addition, the engine coolant will require change sooner -- at 30,000 miles (50,000 km) or 24 months, whichever occurs first. Damage caused by the use of coolant other than [email protected] is not covered by your new vehicle warranty.

Cooling System Capacity

VORTECTM 5300 V8 18.6 quarts 17.6 L
VORTECTM 6000 H.O. V8 19.0 quarts 18.0 L

After refill, the level must be rechecked

·
Administrator
69,520 Posts
We sell quite a bit of the 50/50 pre-mix coolants, but it's the biggest scam going. One gallon of pre-mix costs more than a gallon of raw coolant plus a gallon of distilled water - and that equals two gallons of 50/50.

Distilled
water - supermarket, dirt cheap. (We sell it for $2.50 a gallon and that's highway robbery.)

Mixing coolant - one gallon of raw coolant, one gallon of distilled water - get a clean 2 quart pitcher and a funnel. Into the pitcher, pour 2 quarts of the water, refill the water jug with raw coolant. Pour the pitcher of water into the coolant jug. 2 gallons of 50/50 coolant and a clean pitcher.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,071 Posts
we only have one grocery store in town so prices are a little higher. Even they sell a gallon of distilled for $1.29

we have a home water distiller, mainly because city water here tastes terrible.

·
Administrator
69,520 Posts
One reason that I don't recommend "city water" is the chlorine and fluorides added to many municipal water supplies. I wouldn't use our deep aquifer well water due to the calcium and lime levels; it's taste-free, but we do a lab analysis every 5 years or so, and I just won't pour it into the cars. (Why I pour it into ME is arguable, too...........)

DEX-COOL color - Post #6

1 - 20 of 23 Posts