2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
our forecast for next Tuesday - high temp 36* and 4" of snow

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,465 Posts
Looks good! When we haul here everything is designed for a max hitch load on 75 kgs. If you load the tow poorly and the load is shifted just a bit the whole wagon train gets unstable and will crash which we often see.

I can see you have a pretty stable wagon train and a high hitch load.

Have great fun in Moab!
Wow, 75KG?!?!? That's not much tongue weight at all. What can you haul in that configuration?

In the above pic I'm running 3000lbs tongue weight, overall weight of approx 25k, truck 10k trailer 6k jeeps 9k combined

We've never been to moab and are looking forward to it, ETA tomorrow afternoon!

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,852 Posts
36° F in Vt tonight. Snow on the mountain tops this morning.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
20,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Wow, 75KG?!?!? That's not much tongue weight at all. What can you haul in that configuration?

In the above pic I'm running 3000lbs tongue weight, overall weight of approx 25k, truck 10k trailer 6k jeeps 9k combined

======================
In the above pic I'm running 3000lbs tongue weight,
overall weight of approx 25k, truck 10k trailer 6k jeeps 9k combined

and you still get close to 30 MPG - towing at 70 MPH - right? 🤣

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
1,423 Posts

That weight would be rated as a truck with a truck certified tow. C + C/E drivers license.

As we have no pick-up trucks - at least not with fifth wheeler capability - the tow bar on the rear must have max 75-100 kgs load - otherwise light cars will loose the ability to steer on the front wheels in evasive maneuvers.

With my B license I can drive cars up to 3500 kgs. With my B/E license I can take tows up to 4250 kgs or 7750 kgs in total. Those wagon trains must have a max speed of 80 km/h increased to 100 km/h after a special state inspection.

So for us it is amazing to see these wagon trains passing by on the interstates at 80 mph. They seem very stable though.

In the configuration below - moving one gas bottle from the front to the rear of the tow will make you crash.

·
Super Moderator
6,465 Posts
======================
In the above pic I'm running 3000lbs tongue weight,
overall weight of approx 25k, truck 10k trailer 6k jeeps 9k combined

and you still get close to 30 MPG - towing at 70 MPH - right? 🤣
Driving into 40mph headwind with cruise set @80, 8mpg, 450 is thirsty

·
Super Moderator
6,465 Posts
That weight would be rated as a truck with a truck certified tow. C + C/E drivers license.

As we have no pick-up trucks - at least not with fifth wheeler capability - the tow bar on the rear must have max 75-100 kgs load - otherwise light cars will loose the ability to steer on the front wheels in evasive maneuvers.

With my B license I can drive cars up to 3500 kgs. With my B/E license I can take tows up to 4250 kgs or 7750 kgs in total. Those wagon trains must have a max speed of 80 km/h increased to 100 km/h after a special state inspection.

So for us it is amazing to see these wagon trains passing by on the interstates at 80 mph. They seem very stable though.

In the configuration below - moving one gas bottle from the front to the rear of the tow will make you crash.

Interesting. Your axle placement makes me uneasy. We say the dog wags the tail, in your case though, the tail may very well wag the dog.

Tongue weight/axle placement is everything when it comes to stability. A 5th wheel/gooseneck rule of thumb, similar to what I'm pulling, axle placement 60/40 - 65/35 split with 15-20% tongue weight.

Our tow capacities have become nothing short of amazing. Dodge trucks make 1000 ft lbs of torque out of a roughly 400cu in. engine. My F450, IIRC makes 940 ft lbs, 450hp and is rated to pull 35k.

Because the truck and trailer are both registered and tagged for personal/private use only, no special license is required.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,672 Posts
Wildfires, normal wildfires, volcanoes, lava, and sub-sea thermal vents have nothing to do with global warming. Nor does the fact that, a few miles down, earth is a sphere of molten rock, iron, nickel, and other stuff. Nor does the 50,000 year or so cyclical warming/cooling - we are still coming out of the last Ice Age. Humans have done it all in the last 100 years.

Someone's answer to the Prius ..........

Diesel dragster.jpg.jpg

·
Registered
'85 Sedan de Ville, '10 CTS-V
593 Posts
We just need some smart scientists to move the Earth's orbit a little further from the sun...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
1,423 Posts
Interesting. Your axle placement makes me uneasy. We say the dog wags the tail, in your case though, the tail may very well wag the dog.

Tongue weight/axle placement is everything when it comes to stability. A 5th wheel/gooseneck rule of thumb, similar to what I'm pulling, axle placement 60/40 - 65/35 split with 15-20% tongue weight.

Our tow capacities have become nothing short of amazing. Dodge trucks make 1000 ft lbs of torque out of a roughly 400cu in. engine. My F450, IIRC makes 940 ft lbs, 450hp and is rated to pull 35k.

Because the truck and trailer are both registered and tagged for personal/private use only, no special license is required.
Yes the present range of pick-up trucks are a simple, yet amazingly well engineered recipe. In Europe that spec would be a medium sized truck (as in lorry). 35k qualifies as a long haul truck load.

·
20,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
well - the snow finally stopped - for now -
we ended up with 7.5" of wet - heavy snow -
forecast is another 3" Sunday - SWELL!

·
Registered
Something German S550, 69 Eldorado, 68 Impala, If I tell you the rest, well
545 Posts
Wednesday forecast high of 96f, with a low of 65. 96f in October c'mon, rain should hit Monday and drop temps down to the 70s. Ill believe it when I see it.

·
20,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Wednesday forecast high of 96f, with a low of 65. 96f in October c'mon, rain should hit Monday and drop temps down to the 70s. Ill believe it when I see it.
=====================
next Monday we will have a high of 28f and down to 12f

21 - 39 of 39 Posts