Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 3.0DI NAV FE1 - in transit
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Last night I took the plundge and factory ordered my 2009 CTS! At the end of the sales cycle I got to sit with the Business Manager and discuss the 'extras'. I wanted to get your opinions regarding the extended warranty, paint sealers and rust proofing.

What I bought:
2009 CTS4-AWD, Black Raven, DVD-NAV, Luxury Package, Sunroof

How I drive:
I will put about 30,000KM (19,000miles) a year.
I live in Canada, where salt is king!

Standard warranty:
4yrs 80K bumper to bumper.
5yrs 160K powertrain.

It will cost $2000CDN to go to 5yrs 160K bumper to bumper. Does this make sense? With the AWD, pop-up NAV, and sunroof I figure the extra moving parts might justify the extra warranty.

The heavy use of salt in my region worries me but I would like your opinions on this matter.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 CTS DI RWD
9 Posts
All those extras are great profit builders.

Have a buddy that paid $1,500 for extended warrenty for Audi A6. Had $7,000 covered repairs, but with over a year left warrenty company is out of business. He is one reason I did not get an A6, too many problems.....

I would just spend the money washing & WAXING the CTS.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am definitely leaning towards wshing and waxing on my own.

I should mention the warranty is a GM warranty extension and would be covered through out North America. I am a traveling sales rep and I am out of town a lot. That being said GM could be out of business just as easily in 5 years.

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
I bought the extended warranty (6yr $0 deduc) but only paid $50 above dealer cost. I also got the AUTO ARMOR protection pkg (undercoat, paint and leather protection at dealer cost ($395 compared to $695 msrp). Asst. sales manager and a friend offered me them to make the sale, he knows I don't wash or polish a car, I just go thru the touch-less car wash and the car always comes aback looking brand new.

The only reason I considered the ext warranty was because of all the electronic crap on these cars. One of those system failures can cost a lot $$. I will not put that many miles on, drive it only about 7,500 miles annually.

That being said GM could be out of business just as easily in 5 years.
Its not thru GM but GMAC insurance

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premium w/20" chrome
481 Posts
I am definitely leaning towards wshing and waxing on my own.

I should mention the warranty is a GM warranty extension and would be covered through out North America. I am a traveling sales rep and I am out of town a lot. That being said GM could be out of business just as easily in 5 years.

Remember your new CTS will already carry a 4yr/50,000 mile (which ever comes first) Bumper to Bumper warranty.
Plus a 5yr/100,000 mile (WECF)
*power train warranty with no deducttible
*Roadside Assistance
*Courtesy transportation program

It's kind of redundant coverage if you pay for an extended warranty. However, if your gonna keep your car longer, it may be a good idea.

I've never done a paint sealant program thru a dealer. I prefer waxing/polishing my own car.

Rust proofing certainly won't hurt especially if your gonna drive a lot in wintery weather and a lot of salt.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
The interior protection dealers sell can be bought at a discount:

Walmart: Scotchgard for $7.50 per can (for carpeting.) I suspect there is something similar for leather--like saddle soap.

If you want to spend about $1,000 to $1,500 on these particular items, please send me your credit card, and I will ....

In regard to GMPP warr, you can get a great discount here on the forum as long as you buy it prior to 24,000 miles on vehicle. Check out gmoutlet.com. Also, Fitchner Chevy in Montana, and one or two other places if you do a search here. You will save about 40% typically.

I also have some putting greens in the Antarctic if you are interested. Just send money to ......

·
Registered
2009 FE3 CTS
92 Posts
If you just did a factory order what kind of timeframe did they give you? I ordered mine on March 14 and they still have not started to build it. I actually have been quite unhappy as I wanted it for all the good weather (not a wide window in Calgary) and the last update they gave me was it will be built the week of June 15. I actually wonder if I will even see a 2009 at all.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD
56 Posts
Essentially you would be paying an $2000 for an extra years coverage. Plus as a travel type of guy, you would eat through kilometers in no time.

I think paint sealant is a waste, you can apply that your self for $20 (look up other posts). So I would get that from the dealer.

If they offer to install an electrostatic rust inhibitor, it might be worth it. If you're not sure of the technology, look it up on google. It essentially changes the ionic properties of your car so that the metal parts do not become oxidize as easily. My dealer (in Ontario) wanted to instal one for $700, but you can go to Canadian Tire and get a good one for $400 buck and install it yourself.

Of course, nothing beats regular washing and maintenance. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you just did a factory order what kind of timeframe did they give you? I ordered mine on March 14 and they still have not started to build it. I actually have been quite unhappy as I wanted it for all the good weather (not a wide window in Calgary) and the last update they gave me was it will be built the week of June 15. I actually wonder if I will even see a 2009 at all.
I am the opposite. I have a lease that goes back in October so the later the better.

I am taking a dealer stock order, that hasn't been built yet, and changing the config to meet my requirments. The dealer will confirm once the change has een accepted by the factory. The dealer thinks it will arrive in August.

·
Registered
'08 CTS Black Raven/Ebony 3.6DI FE2 6-speed manual
149 Posts
Essentially you would be paying an $2000 for an extra years coverage. Plus as a travel type of guy, you would eat through kilometers in no time.
Right, the way to look at it is you are playing repair wheel of fortune: in year 5 (assuming 30k / year) will you incur more the $2000 of COVERED repairs? Some people like the added comfort and others take the spin as it comes...

·
Registered
2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6
950 Posts
I also own an '09 CTS-4 with DI, FE2, nav, blah blah blah.

I live in Ottawa - where they use salt as if it's going out of style. I have NEVER bought the rustproofing. NEVER. I prefer the rust-avoidance technique of using touchless drive-thru carwashes throughout the winter months. Keep it clean and rust will be kept at bay...

As for extended warranty - I'll wait until just before the original expires and shop around to dealerships (they do compete for these things). If my circumstances have changed, I may not own the car by the expiry of the original warranty, so why sink your money now? OTOH, if they offer a stupendous deal ($2000 isn't one of those), I might be swayed to pull the trigger now.

Paint protection is another feature that I would NEVER buy.

Nope, dealerships better count on the sale of the car for their profits with me cuz there won't be any additional frills being added on.

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
I bought the 72 month/48,000 miles GMPP warranty. It was less than $1g bought at time of car (price goes up after that) and like I said, the let me have $50 over their cost to cover paper work etc. At approx. 7500 miles a year I likely won't hit 48,000 miles in the 6 yrs. The incidence of electronic problems in these car goes up after 3-4 yrs. My 2005 CTS had major problems just 5 month before the warranty was up. The BCM and the TCM module had failures. They would have been real expensive if the 4 yrs had lapsed.

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
Can't help. Just two items to consider and you might want to run them by your dealer and see what their reaction is.
Rust Proofing.
Don't know if it helps with rust proofing. But the old Ziebart was about 3/8" thick and really cut down on road noise on some cars. That would really help the CTS which transmits a tremendous amount of road noise into the cabin.

The old Ziebart also caused rusting if the installer didn't know what they were doing................and that was most of them.
How does rust proofing cause rust?
There used to be.............and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that it is still the same...............small drain holes in fender wells, etc..............the Zeibart if sprayed indiscriminately would cover these holes and preven the draining so the fenders etc would rust from the inside out.

Run this by your dealer and see what he has to say.............

1 - 18 of 18 Posts