Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your plans? What will make them special for you this year?

This was a first for us, but since we don't have any kids of our own, we decided to adopt a child from a community center in Memphis. The man who runs it is a former University of Alabama defensive lineman who became a priest. He's doing some really great work.

http://www.emmanuelcenter.org/

Anyway, we adopted a 13-year-old girl who made a list of what she wanted and needed for Christmas. My wife did the shopping and came home crying she felt so good. Then she got to me.

A week later, we did it again. This time there was an 11-year-old boy from a different community center. He wanted a bike and some other stuff. So off we went to Target. I don't think I've ever been happier at Christmas.

I don't know if it's really more blessed to give than receive, or if anybody really judges this stuff--but dammit it's a whole lot more fun and the good feeling lasts longer.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Elvis,
that is a great thing you and your wife are doing. I am glad to see you are enjoying yourself this holiday through giving not recieving. I have done toys for tots and small little donations here and there but nothing to that extent. Your are a good man.

I did something new this year. I had a little extra money this season and a great friend of mine was in a bind. He just had a baby girl last month and she is coming home today for the first time. He lives in a small apartment with is girlfriend and its an old style with narrow stairwells. Since the stairwell is narrow he can't fit a full size fridge up there. He has been using a mini fridge with no freezer for about a year now. He desperatley needed more space and a freezer asap. He or his GF don't have the cashflow to go out and buy another one so i picked on out for them and dropped it off. It barely made it up the steps if it was an inch wider it wouldn't have made it. The look on the two of there faces was worth everypenny I spent on them. Now they can have ice cubes, pop sicles and keep frozen meat. That was the most that i ever spent on anyone for a christmas present in my 20 year life span. It was well worth every penny.
For a return gift they invited my GF and I over for dinner last night that they cooked. That was well worth it. I love the holiday spirit.

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
We were going to have all my kids up for Christmas dinner, but my son in the Marines called Sunday to say he wouldn't be home until New Years. He's based at Camp LeJeune and wasn't getting enough time off to drive home until then. He called back this morning and said a buddy of his wanted to pay for the gas for a ride to Ohio before he shipped off to Iraq. So, Christmas dinner is back on. Woohoo!

·
Registered
2001 Deville; 1990 Brougham
1,519 Posts
Going to have a nice family Christmas this year, then have a get to together with my other family - my Latin family. Also have to visit my grandfather in the hospital for sure, as it will most likely be his last at 90 years old. Then round that off by finishing off this Captain i just picked up from Pick 'n Save.

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That one made me weepy, Homer. Nice story. Merry belated Christmas to all!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Elvis said:
That one made me weepy, Homer. Nice story. Merry belated Christmas to all!
Elvis,
As an update my mother got wind of there situation and went nuts with the holiday spirit. She filled there fridge/freezer/cabinets with food. She went out and picked up a case of baby formula. If my friend sees this God is watching over you buddy.

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
We've been married for 23 years & stayed at home for all 23. Will do so again. Just too many drunks on the road to risk it, and around here it's $250.00 a couple for alot of noise, so so food, and either too hot or too cold, and loads of people forcing themselves to have a good time. We hang out at home, watch the Times Square stuff on TV and look real hard to try & find aniyone over 40 in the picture, other than the news anchor. We get Sloppy Joes and chill out. If our son (age 19) goes out, then we go into heavy duty worry mode, until he come home! It's not one of the happier nights of the year. I much prefer the 4th of July! :bouncy:

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
well we didnt do much in giving to the needy , it was very hectic this year with this my first christmas home in 5 years (military never gave me time off for it) , so never the less to say everyone was distracted , but before i went in the military me and mom would got to a store with one of those trees with kids names on it and get the kid what it wanted ,did that for years .....

elvis your a good man , tip of the hat to yee

so i guess christmas was good for the family , from what i hear every year they set a plate out for me and cryed from worrying about where i was and what i was doing , it was good for me , beats being alone in a shop fixin trucks all day , just nice to have people around again

as for new years , ill be staying home too , like sandy said , theres too many damned drunks out there , its not worth going out . so this year ill be sippin a few beers and watching the man that doesnt ever age , aka dick clark

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Stoneage.

I hate New Year's Eve. I'm afraid to go out anymore.

·
Registered
2001 Deville; 1990 Brougham
1,519 Posts
I'm too young to stay indoors on New Year's Eve, so I'll be at the club with about 30 friends, dancing well into the next year.

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
I'm too old to stay outdoors on New Years Eve, so I'll be stay indoors ~ :tease:

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I'm young i turn 21 on friday and i am staying home. My GF and i are going to rent some movies and i'll do some grilliing and drink all night. I WILL NEVER go out on the roads on new years. Too many crazy drivers.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
I'm probably going to my friends house. But that's only 2 blocks away so hopefully the drunks won't hit me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts