Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know what I’ve got? They are 15” FWD wire wheels and fit on a 90 Seville. The center is approx 2 1/2" dia with a spinner or knock-off cap that is threaded onto a cast alum hub. The hub attaches to the wheel with setscrews. There is also an outer perimeter trim ring. I’ve lost 1 of the hubs as well as 2 of the caps and all 4 trim rings. Help I need replacement parts.:hmm:

Attachments

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,095 Posts
Try to find the Dayton Wire Wheel website. Google brings it up immediately.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been there done that. They are not Daytons. They are similar to the cadillac 14" large hub spokes found on a lot of 80's and early 90's caddy's. I've heard of them refered to as "Vouge's". I've seen almost the same wheels on Fleetwoods except for the knock offs and outer trim ring that is evedent on FWD's.:hmm:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I found a potential supplier for the missing components for my spokes.:cool: Excalibur Wheel Accessories website show a “Mclean” 30 spoke bolt-on wheel in their catalog that looks very much like my set. They also list a full complement of accessories. Cool!:bouncy: Set of 4 knock off kits w/hardware cost about $140. Although this doesn’t answer the question, “WHAT ARE THEY?”:hmm: Could they be swangers?:cool2: They do stick out past the rim by at least 1”, I’ll have to messure.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I’ve measured the wheels and the center inside dia is 3 3/16”. The number of outer spokes is 30 with 20 inner spokes at the rim. The distance the spokes protrude past the rim is 1 ½”. I read somewhere that the 1983 and 1984 Eldo’s came with the infamous 30 spoke wheels as an option. That Cragar manufactured these wheels for Cadillac. The double rim feature was a necessity for FWD applications and received an outer rim trim ring. I’ve tried but these wheels will not fit my 83 Eldorado. They do fit my 90 Seville. I doubt they are swangers or 84’s but could they be Cragar Stars? Did Cadillac offer them as an option in 1990? Are they original Caddy or aftermarket? Come on, I’m challenging all you Caddy buff’s out there to solve this mystery.:bonkers:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess none of you caddy experts have seen this type of wheel on a 90's era FWD Cadillac.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are they original Caddy or aftermarket? Come on, I’m challenging all you Caddy buff’s out there to solve this mystery.:bonkers:
Anyone?????
I'm still in the dark about these wheels.:banghead:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RE-BUMP!!
I'm starting to think that these spokes are extremly rare. Any one seen them before?
Hard to know how to Insure/value.:bigroll:

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
They aren't any optional Cadillac wheels and the only way they'd have a whole lot of value is if they either belong on some sort of other car or are a common add-on to one that are hard to find. Drive over to some wheel shops and ask them what they are. Someone might have seen them or sold them at some point.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If they are not a G.M. option either for Caddy or Buick FWD's (not uni-lug wheels) then they must be aftermarket FWD Cragar Stars. They are excatly like what Cragar/Tru-spoke manufactured for FWD Cadillacs in the 1980's and use the same outer beauty trim ring. As far as checking around town...been done. Well what the hell, they look badass on my Seville.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The mystery wheels have finally been identified and authenticated.:D

Quote:
“Congratulations, you have a very, very rare set of FWD Truespoke wire
wheels. They are very hard to find and desirable.”
Truespoke Wire Wheels – [truespoke.net]:yup:

As listed in 1988 catalog
TRUESPOKE Complete Packages / 17 Series
Part Number: 17-5877# Cadillac Package 15x7; 115mm Bolt Circle; 5 ¾” offset
(includes: Lug Nuts, Trim Ring, Valve Stem, Cap, Cadillac Medallion)
Suggested Retail Price (in 1988): $342.73 ea. Weight: 37lbs.

These Wheels were offered thru Cadillac dealerships as an option few people bought.
The more commonly selected Wire Wheel Package option was the (27 Series), they look like the big hub “CLASIC” style, which by the way was offered with gold spokes.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow! I just discovered a product that’s been around awhile that’s definitely going to replace WD40 in my war bag. I used this new stuff on my rusted on wire wheel/lug problem. It was amazing! Within 15 min. from application the worse of the rusted wheels wiggled loose.:dance:

·
Registered
1995 Sedan DeVille
18 Posts
Wow! I just discovered a product that’s been around awhile that’s definitely going to replace WD40 in my war bag. I used this new stuff on my rusted on wire wheel/lug problem. It was amazing! Within 15 min. from application the worse of the rusted wheels wiggled loose.:dance:
And that product is...?:D

·
Registered
Cadillac 83 Seville
12 Posts
Do you have adaptors on the rims? If not, it may be the reason why you cant put them on your Eldorado.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is an adaptor plate attached to the backside of the hub and the lugholes are precision drilled.

I found an old late 80’s Truespoke catalog listing my wheels as:

(17-5877## Cadillac package; 15x7 POS 5 lug, 115mm lug pattern with 5 ¾ backset. Price new $342.73 each.)

(17-5877# Eldorado package; 15x7 POS 5 lug, 4 ¾” lug pattern with 5 ¾ backset. Price new $342.73 each.)

Sets includes; lug nuts, trim ring, valve stem, cap and Cadillac Medallion.

Note: The # sign represents year range; ie:
# = Eldorado / Seville up to 1985
## = Eldorado / Seville 1986 and later.

Therefore the slight difference in the lug pattern is why they wont fit my 83. In 86 Caddy went metric.

I did speak to the folks at Truespoke and they verified that the wheels were Truespoke and are quite rare. I have yet to see another set.

·
Registered
Cadillac 83 Seville
12 Posts
I don't want to jack this tread, but I have some rims that look simular to yours. Check your vistors messages for pics I sent you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts