Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get the ride on my 1995 Fleetwood Brougham to be as soft as possible.. What do I need to do? Sacrificing handling is fine with me.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Softer springs are key... But be careful, if you go TOO soft, they wont be able to support the rear end of the car, and it will have the infamous rear end sag..... However, with the air ride that should help out plenty....

To be quite honest Sal, I dont think that the ride could get that much better without wallowing everywhere everytime you hit a big bump..... Besides the fact I dont think there are products that SOFTEN the suspension... not much of a market for that..... Also, to control the wallowing youd need some really soft shocks, and those would wear out faster than you could replace them.....

You could also look into getting some really big tires.... Really tall sidewalls, and keep them inflated at 25psi.... That should keep things soft......

All in all, I dont really think there are very many parts that could give you what your looking for... I dare say most things would have to be custom.....

IMO, money would be much better spend with some sound deadening materials, to make it vault like in there!

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. It sounds like taller sidewalls would be helpful. I don't want to lose gas-mileage so I might not want to lower the tire-pressure too much.. I think the tires wear quicker like that as well.. But maybe lowering it a little, with taller sidewalls would do the trick..

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
25 psi sounds a little too low to me, Wes. Even a new set of tires probably wouldn't last more than 20,000 miles at that pressure. I would recommend 28-30 psi. In the winter when you're driving on snow, 25 is okay for a short time to improve traction, but I wouldn't do it constantly.

One other thing Sal could try is ADDING weight to the car. Carry a full load in the trunk! Pick-up trucks always seem to ride better when they're loaded down. I'm sure Sal's Fleetwood isn't any different.

I agree with you in that I would play around with sound deadening before spending any money on suspension. You can buy some of that spray-on stuff for the wheel wells. It works surprisingly well at blocking road/tire noise.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sound deadening is something I'm interested in - but I've got wind-noise at highway speed and I'd like to take care of that before road/tire noise.. Maybe I'll run the tires a little low to help out with the bumps - which aren't bad as it is, but I know it could be better.. I'll post a Sound Deadening thead if there isn't already one...

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Wind noise (in my perpetual quest to make my Q silent) is often caused by a loose door panel..... If its been off for any reason, it may not be tight enough..... Im referring to the seal near the window.....

You should also have your latch checked and adjusted, so the door closes extra tight..... Your weatherstrips shouldnt be too bad, i wouldnt think theyd need replacing......

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did take a good look today and found that my weather-stripping seems BENT. That might be my wind-noise problem. When I find some spare time, I'll take it to Sarant Cadillac and ask them to look at it and give me their opinion... I'll ask them about the door panel being tight and all that as well. I hear some wind noise on both sides..

·
Registered
176 Posts
As far as tires go, if you have the money Michelin Symmarty's are VERY soft riding tires. You'll sacrafice some handling, but you don't care. They're kind of expensive, but you'd love em. :coolgleam

D.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
Hmm. It sounds like taller sidewalls would be helpful. I don't want to lose gas-mileage ...maybe lowering it a little, with taller sidewalls would do the trick..
Taller sidewalls will give the car a slightly higher gearing. If anything that would help gas mileage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts