Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 Loaded
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the '08 CTS, it seems that the outer door panels are a different material than the front fenders and rear quarter panels. The fender and quarter panels sure sound like metal, but the door panels sound like plastic. I had to prove they have iron in them with a refrigerator magnet, and yes the door panels hold the magnet. So what are they made of? Maybe a different grade of sheetmetal? Maybe a composite of metal and plastic? Anyone?

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
They are just different grade of metal and a different thickness. ( I worked my way through college, working for US Steel)

·
Registered
04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon
1,803 Posts
Pro,
The fenders are galvanized, low carbon cold rolled steel. 0.75 thick
The quarters are galvanized, low caron cold rolled steel. 0.70 thick
The door outers are galvanized, Baked Hardenable, Dent Resistant, cold rolled steel. 0.80 thick

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,986 Posts
Pro,
The fenders are galvanized, low carbon cold rolled steel. 0.75 thick
The quarters are galvanized, low caron cold rolled steel. 0.70 thick
The door outers are galvanized, Baked Hardenable, Dent Resistant, cold rolled steel. 0.80 thick
No way in hell are the fenders made of steel three quarters of an inch thick. Armored cars aren't that stout. Something is wrong with your math.

Maybe you mean 0.75mm which is about 0.030inches.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT/LIGHT TITANIUM
295 Posts
No way in hell are the fenders made of steel three quarters of an inch thick. Armored cars aren't that stout. Something is wrong with your math.

Maybe you mean 0.75mm which is about 0.030inches.
I think he forgot a zero; should read 0.075".

·
Registered
04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon
1,803 Posts
Sorry, I work in millimeters everyday, and took it for granted that the intelligent people
on this forum would recognize that the panels aren't 3/4" thick................guess not.
Sorry to trouble you.

·
Registered
Previous: '08 CTS4, '09 CTS, '11 CTS4, all Premium models. No longer own a Cadillac.
2,109 Posts
Sorry, I work in millimeters everyday, and took it for granted that the intelligent people
on this forum would recognize that the panels aren't 3/4" thick................guess not.
Sorry to trouble you.
GMJim, the intelligent people on this forum understood your numbers straight away. The few who didn't.. well, we can all draw our own conclusions!

Thank you for the detailed info.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 Loaded
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hey dkozloski,

GMJim works for Cadillac in the engineering group. I think he knows what he is talking about. Since the units were not listed, you assumption of inches was a bit off. Do you work for NASA? Did you know that we design products in metric in the USA?

UG man, thanks for the info. My door panel took a nice hit from the rear of another Cadillac.

pro man

·
Premium Member
28,986 Posts
Competent engineers always specify the units of measure. It's one of the first things they teach you in engineering classes. Lesson in point; the Hubble telescope was almost blind when they first launched it because somebody assumed that everybody knew what the engineer meant. They were wrong and the telescope was unfocused. It had to be modded in space to clear up the images.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
342 Posts
So to figure out and assume it was mm you need to be: Intelligent? competent? Engineers? Nasa? Canadian? I'm just sayin'.... LOL

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts
GMJim thanks for the details!

Interesting to see the doors are made from dent resistant steel and are thicker than the other panels. Is this typical? Is this feature only utilized on uplevel products? Just curious...

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I don't think you can mix metal and plastic very well
Why not? GM mixes oil and water regularly, a la Northstar. Also, 3.1 and 3800 engines (yellow antifreeze and intake gaskets).

Actually, does BMW now use plastic and aluminum in its newer 5 series and up front frames? Very very few BMW body shops have the technology to fix those frames because the machine costs over $200,000 plus $50,000 for training. The technology is called grav60.

·
Registered
1991 Sedan Deville
2,932 Posts
Why not? GM mixes oil and water regularly, a la Northstar. Also, 3.1 and 3800 engines (yellow antifreeze and intake gaskets).

Actually, does BMW now use plastic and aluminum in its newer 5 series and up front frames? Very very few BMW body shops have the technology to fix those frames because the machine costs over $200,000 plus $50,000 for training. The technology is called grav60.
You can mix oil and water if you take out the air.....

As for metal and plastic, I found this:
http://www.weicon.ca/en/produkte/2k-klebstoffe/plastik-stahl.php

I still don't think it'd be all that good because the plastic would be brittle while the metal is flexible. You'd think it would just break up.

·
Premium Member
28,986 Posts
I don't think you can mix metal and plastic very well
Look in the body repair section of the Factory Service Manual for the metal plastic sandwich. If I remember correctly it is used in the floor panels and inner body for stiffness and noise reduction. The same stuff is used in the STS and it's called laminated steel. Look on page 8-88 of the STS FSM. Lockheed, for years, used a balsa wood aluminum sandwich to build aircraft.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts