Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. Can anyone name the most expensive repairs on these cars? Past experiences, anyone? What are the things you fear most because of cost? I'm referring to costs after the warranty has expired...

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Anything engine or trans related would obviously be the most expensive to fix on a one-time bill, but some intermittent driveability problems can get even more expensive in the wrong hands.

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.. How about computers and things like the suspension? Anyone have any experiences? Post 'em all here...

Hopefully this can become a thread that'll help me put together a list of things to "be aware of" or to put money away for "just in case"...

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
new central computer thingy (size of a golf ball) $500

They wanted $225 to replace the actuator that releases the parking/emergency brake

speaking of brakes...all 4: $800

trunk latch motor: $55

Factory stereo head unit: $900

Starter: $400

BTW these are for the parts only incl. my prior post

·
Registered
17 Posts
For my 92 Seville, they want 350 for they front and 400 for the back to replace my struts/shocks, can't remember. Anyway, they are computer controlled, but even cadillac uses a third party kinda thing that doesn't dependon the computer, so replacing them are cheaper than 2 years ago.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I've never had any computer problems. The computers in these cars are realitivly bullet proof!

Actuator to realease parking brake.....$ 50 at wrecking yard.

Brakes ......$150 all four including turn the rotors. Did the labor myself.

Stereo head unit Reconditioned ( Link on this site )..... $150 to $200. Installed myself.

Starter rebuild..... $50 did the work myself, including R/R.

KYB passive struts.....around $70 each! Installed myself!

You can maintain these cars inexpensively....But you gotta do the labor yourself! You should also shop around for the parts!many times used is as good as new. Many times you can buy the components and rebuild stuff yourself and save a ton of money!

These prices quoted are within the last month or two and are for my car and a couple of my buddies cars that I work on and represent my cost for doing the jobs myself.The brake job was on my car and the cost shown is the total that I paid + about two hours of my time!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
kc...you are the reason I will never go thru the dealer again unless it's under warranty, something complicated, or I can't find the part myself!

How hard is it to instal new stabilizer links? I think they wanna charge $300 for all 4.

·
Registered
1994 STS - pearl white
140 Posts
Stabilizer bar end links are a snap. I've done them on a few different vehicles. Quite often, you can even do the front ones without jacking up the car - just crank the steering to expose the link. Easier with the car raised, of course.

The only potential problem is rust (depends on your climate). The end links generally see a lot of tire splash & can rust in pretty good. Usually, if you can't unscrew the nuts, you can twist them off. The blue wrench (cutting torch) helps, but isn't essential.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I agree with that! The thing to remember is that it's just a bunch of stuff bolted together a certain way! As long as you can get it together the same way.....You're in business! These things are easier than you would think to work on once you get passed the intimidation factor I.M.O.!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
The shocks aren't $1000.00 any more? Wasn't there something to do with a computer chip attached that needed to be replaced when the shock was replaced.

You've gotta go back and read that post a little more carefully Sal. Passive struts! Not those silly Cadillac Computer Controlled nightmares!:D

·
Registered
53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
755 Posts
Anything to do with ABS = $

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
There are going to be quirks like that on every car. No car is completely quirk free its entire life!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I wish I found this site a little sooner so I would'nt have had to drop $900 on struts. Thats just parts, good thing a friend of mine owns a service station. Didn't even know they make a passive strut.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Actually Wes, my dad's minty 1979 Nova has been absolutely trouble free. Also his 1978 Chev Bonanza truck, I have never seen another one of those. Come to think of it, wasn't it 1981 that GM started using computers for engine management? HMMMMMMM, wonder if there is a connection there??!

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.
438 Posts
New brakes, new Vogue tires and 2 new mufflers on my ETC at 123,000 miles......$2,500. I shopped, it was the best deal I found.
At 125,000 miles new water pump and cross over gaskets. $775. Still a good deal.
This is an immaculate, garaged, fair weather 15 year old ride.
If it was a 15 year old Ford, Dodge, Lincoln or Jaguar, I'd hesitate doing even an oil change. I'd probably throw it over a cliff.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts