Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newbie here. I have waited for the new 06 DTS. I thought the body would change more. I will be giving my brother in downriver Detroit my 1994 Florida White Lightening Concours with Navy interior (oh so precious). I will order the 06 DTS with bench seat and factory moon roof as soon as I figure whether to get the installed GPS with the display on the instrument panel. I am worried that in a couple of years -- the techology of today for that mounted GPS screen may resemble the installed 8-track tape systems of yesteryear. Anyone have any advice whether to go with the factory installed GPS or just get a portable and use it in the car? Thanks for your help.:wave:

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
The screen itself that will be on the dashboard isn't likely to be outdated for many, many years to come--so there really should be no worry as to whether it will eventually seem antique. The navigation data itself, however, does it old as roadways continue to change, get renamed, etc., but that's the point of the Nav system update discs that they release every so often.

It's such a useful option, especially if you're direction-impaired like me, that if it were offered, I wouldn't buy a car without it anymore.

Oh, and trust me, regardless of how old it does get, it will always look better than some tacked on aftermarket unit that was never originally designed for your car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. White Diamond is the color of my current 1994 Concours -- silly me. I agree -- the screen will fit in much better than any other "add-on." And with us wanting to travel all over, oh boy you can't beat a nav system in your car! Thanks again. -- MJ

·
Registered
61 Posts
jones850 said:
Thanks for the info. White Diamond is the color of my current 1994 Concours -- silly me. I agree -- the screen will fit in much better than any other "add-on." And with us wanting to travel all over, oh boy you can't beat a nav system in your car! Thanks again. -- MJ
I have an 03 DTS with nav and also have the Magellan Roadmate 700 portable unit that I use in my truck and wife's car. Frankly I wouldn't be without navigation unit anymore. The more you use it the nicer it is.

The advantage of the portable unit is that a passenger (or driver) can make changes to the destination on the fly without having to stop and put the vehicle in park. The lawyers make Cadillac have this interlock. Even though I have the latest Cadillac database there are still disparities in how it calculates routes. Sometimes it doesn't use the most obvious no matter how the preferences are set (shortest,quickest). But I run into that with the portable too. They aren't perfect yet but they will get you from A to B without getting lost and without any stress. Very nice to have in unfamiliar areas.

The disadvantage of the portable is that it sometimes has difficulty aquiring the GPS signal. It also doesn't have dead reckoning which allows the "in car" unit to use the speedometer signal and gyroscopes to track the location with a temporary loss of signal (in tunnel or in city) . Good luck on your decision.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
SurferTom