Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up this morning, sun was shining, the temp was at 79*...beautifiul. I go for my morning jog, went awesome, had some great tunes on, ran fast and hard, no stopping or slowing, just the way I like it. Went to lunch at my favorite Mexican joint, a place by the name of Moe's...I guess they're big out east, but this is the only one in MN, had a most excellent double steak quesadilla...the perfect lunch, and I can only go there on Fridays or Sundays because I work M-Th 10:30-9 and Sat 8-4 and they're open 11-9..no time for me to go there. Go get my hair cut by a very attractive 21 year old brunette. I picked up the new Rush cd at best buy...Geddy and the boys are still cranking out great songs after 33 years.

And here's the best part: so I had some time to kill this afternoon, and I got the urge to go and test drive a car..so I jumped on Autotrader.com along with Carsoup.com and searched for Mark VIII's and LT1 Broughams, because I can never seem to find one of those for sale at a dealer nearby, and I realllly wanna drive one of either, well none show up as usual, so I start looking for a 92-97 STS or any Eldorado built after 1981....well I had some luck there. Found an '84 Eldorado Biarritz for sale at a dealer no more than 8 miles away from my place, so I grabbed the camera and took off! I've always loved the looks of those, and I've never driven one before, especially a Biarritz, so I was pumped to drive it....and I was kinda disappointed.

In an effort not to be redundant, I won't copy and paste the entire drive report from the reviews section, but it's in there, with pics and videos.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-reviews/113265-video-test-drive-review-1984-eldorado.html#post1157895

And then after that, I get home, listen to that new Rush CD for a bit, eat one of my favorite dinners, go for another run, wash my car, which was WAY overdue, and now I'm back on my favorite website bloggin' while my arteries are cloggin' from that chinese I had for dinner, getting ready to pack for my Duluth trip tomorrow....watch for an upcoming thread w/ a "jesda amount" of pics.

So just more 8 hours of work (which is a short day for me) then up with my best buddies at their new house in one of my favorite cities.

I love having Fridays off.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Re: What a perfect day off work.

Heh, sounds like fun :) Moes is all over in FL and GA, never seen them in NY....

They are alright, the local private joints are better tho.

Sounds alot better then my day, which started off at Advance, then Ford, then back home, then a whole bunch of hours of getting ticked off at the Town Car, then driving that aside and doing an oil change and transmission oil change on the Isuzu..... at least one of my vehicles always works right without stupid problems....

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I wish I had a reason to spend time at dealerships other than the one I work at...I like going to dealers...always have. Did you take a gander at the '08 Super Dutys while you were there?

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts

No... I looked at a used ~'98ish Town Car, and then a brand new Town Car.... feeling just eh after looking at them both, I looked at mine and thought I like mine a whole lot better... then got in it and enjoyed it all over again... for about 15mins...

I don't like going to that dealer, I only go there for overpriced parts I can't get at Advance.... service and parts guys don't really care about anyone with an older car, nor any questions I ask them, and overall aren't too friendly.... poor customer service IMO, cause if I was to ever buy a new car, I most likely woudln't go to them.

There is another Ford dealer a little further away I have been meaning to go to, I'd like to see how they are...hopefully better.

Ah well... the local Advance Auto here stinks too as far as having people that know a thing about cars, and customer service... Auto Zone isn't any better... atleast I know Advance's computer system, so I know what I am doing, and I know their parts and whats good, which is the only reason why I still go there.

I never realized it at the time, but man, when I worked at Advance, my manager, I and our store as a whole really bent over backwords to help the customers, offered real advice that actually got people what they needed, and had a decent return policy... all with a POS old store.... here, the Advance dosn't do any of that, its a bother to get anyone to do anything, and nobody knows crap about anything... I've been a repeat customer over and over, spending alot of money there, and when I asked about returning something if it didn't work (something we did quite often with our good customers) they basically laughed in my face.... I look on the screen and their daily sales suck anyway, their whole store sells barely more then I would sell alone some of the times I went in there....

I dunno... I guess its just hard to get real, quality customer service.... ontop of all that, I'm still pissed at the car... so it'll sit until I decide to waste more time on it.... I'm going down to FL this coming weekend, and I need to drive this time espeically... I'm not taking the Lincoln as I haven't made any progress with the problems, the Caddy is still not in the condition I want to enjoy the trip, so I'll be taking my trusty Isuzu... it'll be a non-luxury ride there and back, but atleast I know half the car won't break down in the process... and if its nice out the top is coming off....

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

So Rick, it's pretty safe to say your experience with Lincoln is not as sweet as it was with Cadillac?

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
I dunno... my Coupe had its share of problems too, that... were still there when it was stolen... I remember getting to points where I just wanted to get rid of the car too, then it was stolen, and now I want it, and all its problems back.

The Lincoln... ya know, a large factor is that the prevoius owners let all the issues stock pile up, then gave up on the car, and when I got it, I only knew of a few things wrong with it...

Other half is just poor engineering on Fords part.

Right now I am fixing things on this car I've already fixed once before... or, in some cases.... twice before.... and it's not going as planned... which really has me ticked off.

What this car has going for it is the super clean underbody, the really spotless body, and the interior, which for the most part is pretty good.... plus the drivetrain itself, which is solid and has alot of use left... its all the other little stupid things that are going.

I coudln't find a better car to fit me and what I request from this car, so there is no point in selling in, plus I've put too much into it to really get back... best i could do is maybe break even... then what? start all over again with another used car with its share of surprises..... so I'll stick with it... when I get ticked off, I just move it on the side, then I come back to it.

I enjoy working on cars, but now its getting to just be somewhat annoying, I dunno.... it really makes me apperciate the simplicity and design of the Isuzu more and more tho.

It's funny, when I had 3 cars at one point, I thought I'd be better off with 1, then I got down to 1, and I wanted more... now I am starting to thinking I'd be better off with just one... but I coudln't really sell the Town Car for the reasons listed above... the Isuzu is too good of a truck to sell for the couple grand I may possibly get from it, and the Caddy really isn't worth anything... and I could only see it going to someone else on the site or something that would fix her up.

Plus the vehicle that I like alot, that comes anywhere close to fitting the bill of a daily driver work truck, an off-roader, and something to take on the highways.... is still mega expensive (to me) and I would probably just end up wanting another luxo barge again.

So I am sticking with what I've got... Caddy is in no rush at all, so I don't worry about that car too much, Isuzu dosn't really give me any problems at all and the Town Car... well, I know I'll get everything fixed, just a matter of time.

·
Registered
2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts

I never realized it at the time, but man, when I worked at Advance, my manager, I and our store as a whole really bent over backwords to help the customers, offered real advice that actually got people what they needed, and had a decent return policy... all with a POS old store.... here, the Advance dosn't do any of that, its a bother to get anyone to do anything, and nobody knows crap about anything... I've been a repeat customer over and over, spending alot of money there, and when I asked about returning something if it didn't work (something we did quite often with our good customers) they basically laughed in my face.... I look on the screen and their daily sales suck anyway, their whole store sells barely more then I would sell alone some of the times I went in there....
You make a good point about having knowledgeable and helpful people at an auto parts store. It makes a huge difference.

I buy most of the parts I need at NAPA because there's a store right next door to my office and I get a AAA discount, which is sometimes pretty substantial. But when I'm working on the car at home and need something, I usually go to the Knecht's store in Monmouth, the town that abuts Independence (we're kind of a mini Twin Cities, Chad). The guys there are always very helpful when I'm trying to figure something out, and I usually take Hoover with me, and he's completely welcome in the store.

Case in point, a few months ago, I changed out my EGR valve because I thought the old one was sticking and was causing an intermittent lurch. Because I only have a basic ratchet set, I decided the only way to get access to it would be to remove the throttle body. Of course, dummy me, I didn't pay attention to where all the vacuum lines connected, so after I got the car all back together, I had a noticeable vacuum leak.

A couple of the rubber hoses were awfully brittle, so I decided to go over to Knecht's and get new rubber. I mentioned that I there was a vacuum leak, so one of the guys came out and looked and helped me find the problem. Eventually, I figured out that the line from the MAF sensor to the throttle body was disconnected, but having the parts guy come out to look helped me find other problems. It's service like that that will keep me coming back.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Yeah, you woudln't believe the repeat customers we had because of our awesome service.... and I would go out of MY way to help others.... except when the store was crowded and my manager wanted everyone working the counter.... but I had repeat customers come back and specifically ask for me, or even on the phone... in some cases, when they found out I wasn't working that day, they said they'd come back!..... helped a whole lotta Caddys out that otherwise people woulda probably gave up on... as well as other GM cars, and then once I got my Isuzu and learned more about it, helped a bunch of Isuzu folks out.... it was fun.

Chad, on an unrelated note, something you'd be impressed with...

once I finally got over my obsession for trying to achieve the unachieveable in fuel mileage with the thing, I deiced to reset the avg mpg when I filled up... and after driving 400+ miles multiple times...

The calculated mileage comapred to my real mileage with math is always +/- 0.2 MPG! Quite impressive... even on my 160 miles of town driving, it was just as accurate.... that was pretty neat, cause I know thats something that bugs you with the Caddy.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Heh.... this week it has been 1 year exactly with out my Coupe!

I don't have many pictures of it on the computer right now, but I have this one... which isn't that big:

Thinking back to issues that car had when it was stolen... first up, there was the fading clearcoat, all over, and the peeling paint on the palstic rocker trim... that really ticked me off, and the car would need a total repaint.

Then the tranny which, IMO was acting up and probably would need replacement in the future...

So right there, had I have the car today, I would be in the process of probably getting a reman tranny in the thing and a new paint job.... well... honestly to do both jobs correctly, that would be $5,000+ right there, maybe $6k... nearly double the value of the car.

Then for whatever reason, it has a leak at the winsehild causing water to pool up on the drivers floorboard, getting the carpet damp when it rained, I tried and tired to figure that out, but never could... maybe windshield was incorrectly sealed? I dunno, I ended up drilling a small hole thru the floor board where the parking brake cable when thru the floor so the water could drain out as it came in, instead of just sitting there idle.

Lets see... ah yes, the idle problem... with the enigne racing while driving, that was fun... I replaced the IAC motor twice, and that didn't fix it... rpelaced the TPS too, and the MAP since it was throwing a code and the PRNDL switch since it wouldn't start in neutral... did that right before it was stolen.

Then there was the oil leak from one of the oil cooler lines where the hose went to metal fitting....

I could keep going... but I was ticked at that car too... I do miss it tho, and wouldn't mind having all those problems today just to have it back... but thus is life... one problem car left me, and I've got another.

Or maybe I just expect perfect from 15 year old machines? I dunno... I go out of my way to maintain my vehicles to the best I can, and what I can afford...

Perhaps thats why I like the Isuzu soo much..... it just does everything its supposed to do great... no surprises, no problems, it just works... heh... kinda funny that right now there are 3 things that are "wrong" with that truck that, don't even bother me becuase of the simplicty involved....

1) on the back of the rubber gasket between the door and window, there used to be felt that would let the window slide up and down... well, with age that felt is gone, so when its hot out, the rubber will stick to the window, so you have to push the door panel in to try and get the rubber from sticking (and folding inside out, not good for rubber) and sometimes gotta crank the window up a bit while going down...

2) when it rains, the top leaks cause it dosn't seal correctly cause of the crappy design... truck has marine grade carpet in it tho, and there isn't much I can do other then try getting a new soft top and hope it actually fits and seals, or find a used hard top..... really dosn't bother me tho, probably cause I have other things to worry about now.

3) most recent, on one of my rough adventurous off-road expeditions where my ignorance nearly left me stuck with a dead engine in the middle of a huge mud/sand/water hole/puddle that I shoduln't have gone thru, but made it... something bothered the power steering pressure hose, so it leaks power steering fluid... I already bought a new hose, but its in kind of a pain in the butt place, and I really don't care about replacing it right now, so I just top it off with power steering fluid every 4-5 days or so... it gets to the min line to I fill it up to max.... evenutally I'll get around to replacing the $46 hose.

Heh, if my Isuzu was 4wd it would probably be my perfect truck, even tho the 2wd suits my needs almost perfectly, I still want a 4wd truck.... thats the only reason it will probably be replaced int he future... if I could manage to actually give it up.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah so anyways, it was a good Friday.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Working 8-4.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On a somewhat related note, I just drove my first '07 Tundra with that 380hp 5.7L iForce V8.....amazing acceleration from anything above 40mph, and it just keeps getting better as the speeds increase. But it's a wierd truck to sit in, atleast for me, the dash and beltline is really high and everything is spaced out so I have to reach all the way across to access the stereo or HVAC controls.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts