Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the anti freeze in my 92 eldo,I managed to drain out over 6 qts., (I ran motor a few times for a few seconds while draining) the mess was when I was refilling system,it would burp and spew the new a/f all over the place,was I just in too much of a hurry to refill it?. or are there any tips for when I do my 92 dev.?

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
When I do my 93 I drain the radiator via the petcock and unhooking the overflow tank and draining it. Sometimes I also unhook the heater core 3 way T and blow the coolant out of their. You can unhook 2 of the 3 so you can put the hoses you dont blow on into a bucket to catch it.

When I refill I just close the drain and fill the radiator up to the neck, then run the engine with the rad cap off and it will suck it down, slowly add antifreeze for a few seconds kepping it full just below the neck. It should even out over time and hold the level, Then kill the engine and top it off, replace the cap, and fill the overflow tank some. Then you can run the engine and it will purge the air. Then all you have to do it top off the overflow to the right line and you should be done.

Where was it spewing out of on your eldo? Was it just coming out the filler neck?

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes,it was coming out of the filler neck only,it would rise and then spew out,I guess it was clearing the air out,I will just add smaller amounts next time. Thanks for reply.

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,026 Posts
You wont get all of it out that way because the water pump will lose its prime once it starts hitting air. You should use a shopvac at the upper and lower radiator hoses or compressed air.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You wont get all of it out that way because the water pump will lose its prime once it starts hitting air. You should use a shopvac at the upper and lower radiator hoses or compressed air.
I didn't expect to get it all out,I'm happy with getting out over 6 qts., after awhile I will drain it down a bit again and add more a/f, thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts