Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2014 SRX 3.6 Perf. 2010 DTS 4.6 Lux
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Tuesday night I drove my 2010 DTS to a neighboring town about 25 miles away. The trip was all interstate highway. It was raining moderately with some water on the road but no deep pools or puddles. I arrived at my destination, turned off the car, locked it, went inside and took care of business. The car was parked for maybe 10 minutes. It wouldn’t start. It turned over but no start. It sounded like it was firing on only 1 or 2 cylinders. I waited about 30 minutes and tried again. Fired right up and hasn’t missed a lick since. Does anyone have any idea about what part of the ignition system got wet? BTW, no codes displayed or stored. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
3,135 Posts
If the air was very humid and the coils have a lot of miles on them I would suspect coils/plugs - arcing from dampness. As the car sat with heat from the engine the coil dried out and functioned again. You could try pulling the coils and inspecting the spark plug/coil for carbon tracking, and/or if they are in good shape. The coils/plugs may need to be replaced and a thin layer of dielectric grease applied to the bottom of the coil boot to prevent moisture getting in, or maybe the grease alone on the existing coils would suffice if the coils and plugs don't have many miles on them and are in good shape.

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,933 Posts
The ECM is under the air filter housing. Make sure it's not getting exposed to water. It sits on the inner fender liner on the drivers side. Check for holes are damaged or missing liner.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Platinum
570 Posts
I had that happen over 5 years ago when I left my car in the driveway overnight during a moderate rain. Water flowed beneath the car, but I didn't see any in the engine compartment. It hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it isn’t water. It wouldn’t start this morning so I am driving the SRX. It is 42 degrees and very dry. The temp was about the same Tuesday. My gut tells me I need a battery. Since it is the weekend I will mess with it on and off. At least it’s in the driveway this time.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,860 Posts
What is battery voltage in the DIC at Key: ON? What does the voltage drop to during cranking?

2010 DTS with separate coil/boot rack mounts - how many miles on the plugs? A crank/start with misfires sounds like moisture in the plug boots, possibly exacerbated by carbon tracking.

Liquid Eye Eyelash Cosmetics Medical equipment

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand. I don’t know the answers. I am at my wife’s bedside in the hospital. Have been since September 26. When I go home for lunch I’ll look at some paperwork on the repairs. It had $5600 worth of work done to the engine when I bough it a little over 2 years ago. That doesn’t mean it was the right work…

The battery is at least 3 years old, maybe more. I hate being stranded.

·
Administrator
75,860 Posts
Hope the hospitalization turns out for the better. Is there any way you can take 15 minutes to stop at a parts store and ask them to scan the car for trouble codes? It has a built-in diagnostic system. Take the code printout and at your convenience use the below link to decipher and post any found codes.

At least that might shed some light on an otherwise guessing game.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From the DIC:
Key on before start: 11.8
During start: 10.9 drop to 10.4

I am going to buy a battery before I do anything else. Glad I have 2 cars!!

·
Administrator
75,860 Posts
OK - a fully charged "12 volt" lead-acid battery will show 12.6 volts, disconnected from anything for a half hour. Your DIC should show 12.4 to 12.6 at Key: ON, maybe down to 11.6 - 11.8 cranking, ramp up to 14.4 - 15.0 after START/fast idle.

A battery that shows below 12 volts is essentially dead - some plate voltage but no amperage capability - amperage = battery WOOF !!!

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Symmetry

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Also, I wonder how the battery cable connections are - corroded, loose?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ll find out. I plan to have the new battery on hand when I disconnect the current battery. Does anything weird happen when you change the battery? Like, the SRX won’t start until the second try.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the new battery on. Car won’t start. Cranks great. But my security system is not on. Any ideas? I will next look at the coils and plug wires as suggested.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Got the new battery on. Car won’t start. Cranks great. But my security system is not on. Any ideas? I will next look at the coils and plug wires as suggested.
Your theft deterrent system may need to be reset. I found the below after an online search...worth a try. I'm sure someone else who is familiar with the DTS will chime in soon if this is not correct.

To reset the system You will need to lock all of the doors using the key fob and arm the system. Next You will need to use the physical key in the driver's door using the key cylinder. After that put the key into the ignition and move it to the on and off position twice without starting the car. The light should blink on the dash indicating that the system has been reset and the car can be started.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I couldn’t wait. I did get the theft deterrent successfully reset. The car still won’t start. Now I can sleep on it and resume tomorrow or???"

Thanks very much for the help.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
You're welcome. Sorry the car is still not starting. You could try reprogramming the key:

1. Insert a new cut key in ignition and turn key to the ON position for 10 minutes and 30 seconds.

2. Within 45 seconds turn the key to OFF and then back to the ON position for 10 minutes and 30 seconds.

3. Within 45 seconds turn the key to OFF and then back to the ON position for 10 minutes and 30 seconds.

4. Turn key OFF then back ON. The key is now programmed. Start vehicle to test key.

Above is from this site:

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,933 Posts
Based off the occasional rough idle and no start, I think you have a couple problems. The battery is one but the fuel pump might be the main cause the car fails to start. Check the fuse box under the back seat for any melting around the fuel pump relay. Also check the pump fuse. The melting is a system of an over heated relay from too much power draw from a failing fuel pump. If the fuse box checks ok then you need to see what the fuel pressure is at the fuel rail by the injectors. The fuel pump is accessed from the trunk up by the back under the trunk carpet.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was thinking fuel pump myself and fuel filters. Is there a replaceable inline fuel filter? I am thinking of having it towed in tomorrow. I just don’t have time. I did fish out my scanner last night and plan to hook it up at lunchtime. Isn’t the fuel pump supposed to run during start up? I should be able to detect fuel flow even if the car doesn’t start.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts