Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those Debut Edition buyers that were offered the QMerit or EVgo credit, I wanted to share this bit of information with the group as I found the installation cost of $2,600 less the $1,500 credit ... breathtaking. To be clear this is for the charger installation. A charger itself can not be used towards the $1,500 credit.

Fortunately, my electricity provider also has a $500 EV charger rebate given certain requirements are met. My QMerit contractor suggests I give them a call to see if the Lyriq's onboard charger would count towards the EV charger rebate.

1. Install one vehicle charging circuit (Nema 14-50r) on the outside of the house with allowance of 60 linear feet of branch circuitry from electrical service but within distance that the factory supplied charger cord will reach the vehicle charge port location. All wiring will be surface mount, hidden wiring is subject to additional charges.
2. Furnish and install (1) 40-amp 2 pole breaker (Eaton BR) as means of disconnect for circuit. Tandem Breakers will need to be installed to make room for EV circuit.
3. Installation of DCC12 EV Energy Management load shedding device (to reduce the likelihood of needing a service upgrade. In extreme circumstances a service upgrade may still be necessary). DCC-12 | EV Energy Management System | 240/208V, Max 200A, Max EVSE 60A
4. Run electrical from main electrical panel in basement and out to the side of the house. Route electrical along unfinished ceiling in basement. Mount receptacle (Nema14-50r) on the outside of the wall at customers specified location.
5. Homeowner responsible for meeting with electrical inspector at convenient time for both parties. [QMerit contractor] will handle all permits, and scheduling inspection date.

·
Super Moderator
2011 SRX4 3.0 4WD Luxury
3,621 Posts
Wow a 60 amp breaker? in itself no biggie, now lets think about the elephant in the room, most households have more than 1 car right? so two chargers minimum would be need. If gas cars are mostly phased out.. so that potentially could be a 100 amp draw for X amount of charging hours? now Lets ...add a ~40 amp for a hot tub? or perhaps a modest A/C units 30 amp?, now a 30 Amp Dryer and 50 amp electric range.....There could be a chance all of them might be in use at the same time??

A typical newer home has a 200 Amp service, wonder if Code will be required for new built homes to have a much higher service? and to have at a minimum - the wiring already in place, of course a upgraded infrastructure for the new development

Not anti EV - hell may even buy one when i retire.....just food for thought

steve

·
Registered
449 Posts
Wow a 60 amp breaker? in itself no biggie, now lets think about the elephant in the room, most households have more than 1 car right? so two chargers minimum would be need. If gas cars are mostly phased out.. so that potentially could be a 100 amp draw for X amount of charging hours? now Lets ...add a ~40 amp for a hot tub? or perhaps a modest A/C units 30 amp?, now a 30 Amp Dryer and 50 amp electric range.....There could be a chance all of them might be in use at the same time??

A typical newer home has a 200 Amp service, wonder if Code will be required for new built homes to have a much higher service? and to have at a minimum - the wiring already in place, of course a upgraded infrastructure for the new development

steve
We’re at least decades from gas cars being phased out. This isn’t happening tomorrow.

·
Registered
434 Posts

steve
Some of the smart chargers allow power sharing to address that.

·
Super Moderator
2011 SRX4 3.0 4WD Luxury
3,621 Posts
Agreed its a ways off just pondering the actual infrastructure question not a Gas/EV comparison, Cool never read the power sharing thing..... wonder about the folks who buy one living in a older house whose service wont even support one charger ? that's a helluva nasty shock to upgrade your service panel ....just random musings - dont want to start a heated discussion....just pondering retirement and what i need to replace my 86 Grand wagoneer LOL

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

steve
Something new I learned today. I’m super close to my 200A wattage limit. The solution is the load sharing device that’s part of the quote. Without it, the electrician doesn’t believe the installation will be to code.

·
Registered
2016 ELR
1,254 Posts
Something new I learned today. I’m super close to my 200A wattage limit. The solution is the load sharing device that’s part of the quote.
That's why your quote is so high - 'breathtaking' as you said. If you don't need a service update or fancy load shed device, most people should fit under the $1500 credit.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you had a non-QMerit electrician give you an estimate? I wonder how much they're inflating their costs to double-dip from GM and the owners.
Given I’m locked into the QMerit/Cadillac $1,500 credit I’m afraid it’s a Use it or Lose it proposition so I didn’t shop around. I can say, about seven years ago I had a similar installation done from the sub panel in my garage to 20’ to where I wanted my L2 charger, terminating to a 240V 38A outlet, the electrician charged me $300. Side job though. He was someone I knew who managed the electrical at work.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's why your quote is so high - 'breathtaking' as you said. If you don't need a service update or fancy load shed device, most people should fit under the $1500 credit.
Doing a little more math. If I take the load sharing device out ($800), that’s $1,800. But, I noted 60’ of wiring. The run is more like 20’.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

steve
Local to Metro Detroit, MI you can have an extra meter installed for $2.00/month dedicated to EV charging. I believe that’s a means to bypassing having to update the homes current panel.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have two EVs. No need for two chargers. Charge them on different days, or different times during the day.

Even with off peak rates at night, it is rare to have to charge both at same time, same night.
I plan on keeping the L2 charger in our detached garage which is 60 feet away from the house, and the second charger will be attached to the side of the house by our driveway for guests. ROI wise I figured better to use the $1,500 credit as a capital improvement to the house than the two years of unlimited EVgo charging.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts