Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Went to the Strip today -Disapointing results

3K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Luna. 
#1 ·
After last weeks promissing 11.4 et at 122mph performance, I was hoping to brake into the 10 second range and pick up 2-3mph in the process. Unfortunately It wasnt to be with what I have. The best that I could muster was several consistant 122mph passes and slower 11.6-7 et's. My best 60ft time was 1.71 but most times were around the 1.9 second range.

I know that it was about 10 degrees hotter out today and the intercooler was surely heat soked with the amount of runs I took and little brake time in between.

I was quite disapointed at how slow the trans shifts between gears. I tried using the full automatic and even the manual using the paddle shifters ( what a jokey gimmic) and didn't find any change in the shifting. Automatic seemed to be the best though.

I think it is obvious that this car wasn't ment to be a dragster but it sure wants to pretend that it is at times.

I also had the car weighed with me in it and it turned thew scale at 4123lbs with me out of the car and with 1/8 tank of fuel. I guess that the car is
@ 300lbs lighter than evreyone said it would be. Food for thought.

See less See more
#5 ·
Disappointing yes, but then again I 'm sure you'll agree not really surprising.
You mention you had a best 60' time of 1.71 sec.
On that particular run (1.71) did you do anything differently in terms of launching the car (as in perhaps hitting the T/C button a little sooner or a little later) after initially launching the car.
Were all your launches pretty well made with the same RPM or did you try varying the launch RPM?
Thanks

#6 ·
Those are REALLY strong times and you clearly have a consistent car there. I'm not sure what track prep you've done, but a 1.71 on street tires is VERY good. I managed a best of 1.78 on Toyo Proxes. I'm also assuming you don't have a torque converter to lay the rpms up against? That would really help with the launch. I'm with the previous poster, wait until fall, get yourself and really nice 10.99 with some weight reduction, drag tires and a good ice down. Then enough of that nonsense and get to a road course where the V is at home. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
I also had the car weighed with me in it and it turned thew scale at 4123lbs with me out of the car and with 1/8 tank of fuel. I guess that the car is @ 300lbs lighter than evreyone said it would be. Food for thought.
That is interesting. Good information. Any chance you could post your complete time slip?

I was at the Summit Point Main road course last Monday in 95+ degree heat and had no heat soak...
:confused: :noidea:

#13 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys.

I feel that by best tire pressure was 130lbs and smoking the tires in the water pit for 2-3 seconds raised the tire temp enough to get the best grip. I tried just a short spinning of tires to gust get them clean and my 60 st time jumped to 2.3 seconds. Not good. Heating the tires really did healp. I tried taking the pressure down to 120,124,126,128 lbs and forund it to be much worse thhan the higher pressure. It would be nice to have some type of objective testing in a more controled setting to tell for sure. This is just what I felt the results showed today.

As for launching I tried many differnt combinations and found that launching with the traction control ON and raising the RPM to 2000 with a brake stand then switch over to NO traction control as soon as you get out of the hole, say 2 seconds to eliminate engine robbing power worked the best.

With the engines bottom end strength I still feel that 10 second times are in the picture. To get there I think raising up the launch RPM speed, No traction control and Very sticky tires are required.

Al in all haveing a 11.4 122 mph daily driver that bests the ZR1 Corvetter 1/4 time and all but a small handful of $200,000 super cars which weigh much less is very cool, but having a 10 second daily driver would be better.

I hope somebody can benefit from this info and do better in the future.

BTW my total mod list is:
Bottom pulley
Top pulley
Air intake
Exhaust center section-stock mufflers
Engine tune from Wait4me

#14 ·
I've seen SRT8's that weigh 4,500lbs. hit 1.55 60's with your horsepower. So it definitely can be done. You'll need Hoosiers or M&H slicks to get those times though and a lighter set of front skinnies.

• Great air - 55* or cooler
  • Great track prep - mucho VHT to where you can here when the track guys walk on it
  • Drag Slicks not drag radials
  • Might not even need any weight reduction
  • Pull the air intake setup if you can to reduce any restriction
I think you've got a 10.99 car there.

#22 ·
I've seen the red 300C run a 1.53 on his was to a 10.7X. He's a 426 stroker. We have a number of SRT8's in the 10's and a few in the 9's. Lot's of 392, 426 and 440 strokers out there. The 426 with D1 ProChargers put out 650 to 700rwhp so these guys are hauling the mail. I did see a forged twin turbo run low 10's with a 1.58.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mclarengts#p/u/25/GRA91guHWtU

"Stupid Nasty"

#17 ·
Re: Went to the Strip today -Disappointing results

As for launching I tried many different combinations and found that launching with the traction control ON and raising the RPM to 2000 with a brake stand then switch over to NO traction control as soon as you get out of the hole, say 2 seconds to eliminate engine robbing power worked the best.
Moparman I have question:
When you say "NO traction control" do you mean that you pushed the TSC/Stabilitrak button once and warning light is on or did you push it twice to get it into Competitive Driving mode or or did you turn StabiliTrak off completely?
Thanks.

#21 ·
The SRT8 is AWD so that must help a little.

SRT8 cars are rear wheel drive only! I would have bought one if it had AWD.

I had the traction control in competition mode at launch then turned it off completely when the tires hooked up.
Which means you really had traction control off and yaw control in "lenient" mode at launch and then turned yaw control off after the tires hooked up.

#23 ·
Stock for stock the Jeeps are slower in the 1/4 mile. They do have better 0-60's, but the sedans/wagons catch up by 85/90mph. Mod for mod the sedans/wagons are still faster. But really hard to beat a Jeep SRT8 off the line.

#24 ·
I was quite disapointed at how slow the trans shifts between gears. I tried using the full automatic and even the manual using the paddle shifters ( what a jokey gimmic) and didn't find any change in the shifting. Automatic seemed to be the best though.
I found this comment the most interesting.

Wasn't this recently discussed? About how automatics shift seemingly at the speed of light??? I mean, it's "computer controlled," isn't it??

Hmmm....

Yeah, right...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.