Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1997 SLS
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man this car sure runs! second gear, 20 mph stomped on the gass till it hit six grand then let off the gas and let the engine slow me back down. Wow! this Northstar is fast.
I noticed the temp gauge was up to about three quarters did not red line, it cooled back down with normal driving to mid gauge. Thought I may post this info to see what you guys think.

·
Registered
NONE
2,027 Posts
Man this car sure runs! second gear, 20 mph stomped on the gass till it hit six grand then let off the gas and let the engine slow me back down. Wow! this Northstar is fast.
I noticed the temp gauge was up to about three quarters did not red line, it cooled back down with normal driving to mid gauge. Thought I may post this info to see what you guys think.
That is not good. If anything, the temp gauge should drop slightly below 12:00 during WOT. At what speed did you let off the gas? You should let off the gas near redline of 2nd gear (around 80 mph).

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,941 Posts
I don't like the sound of this either. Get a block test kit and test the air in the surge tank for combustion gases. DO NOT add coolant before the test.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,748 Posts
IF the car is used to a quiet life and you got a temp gauge rise during the first WOT in a long time I would not worry too much. Get the block test kit and follow the directions to the letter - don't try to outguess the instrument.

Your gauge may be shaped a bit differently, but here's what you're looking at for temperatures at each tick mark.

www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis75500.html

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac Eldorado ETC,1992 Cadillac Seville Base
42 Posts
According to the guage showen above my engine is running at 210 during normal street and freeway driving conditions, if traffic is heavy it runs between 210 and the first tick mark after 12 o'clock and will go back down to 210 right away after trafiic lets up. I have never seen it get all the way up to, or past the first tick past 12 after owning the car for about a month, I am a little concerned about this although I've read that these motors run hotter then others... What do you all think?

·
Administrator
72,748 Posts
According to the guage showen above my engine is running at 210 during normal street and freeway driving conditions, if traffic is heavy it runs between 210 and the first tick mark after 12 o'clock and will go back down to 210 right away after trafiic lets up. I have never seen it get all the way up to, or past the first tick past 12 after owning the car for about a month, I am a little concerned about this although I've read that these motors run hotter then others... What do you all think?
Perfect temperatures for a Northstar in traffic. These engines DO NOT "run hotter than others". The thermostat begins opening at 188 and is fully open at 206..... using an 18 psi pressure cap the coolant will not boil until over 265 degrees.

.....remember that our fans go to SLOW at 224 and FAST at 236 because they are controlled by coolant temperature with no A/C or DEFROST function set. If the fans come on, the coolant goes down to 213 and fans turn off, and the cycle starts again BUT if you run the HVAC in AUTO or DEFROST modes then fans run in SLOW all the time and the gauge should hang around 198-212 all the time.

Some of these cars don't ever run the fans at 45 mph+ highway - you don't need them then.

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac Eldorado ETC,1992 Cadillac Seville Base
42 Posts
Thanks Sub, Rippy had told me this once before but a second opinion from you in particular is what i was hoping for. You all have a great afternoon...

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
913 Posts
Perfect temperatures for a Northstar in traffic. These engines DO NOT "run hotter than others". The thermostat begins opening at 188 and is fully open at 206..... using an 18 psi pressure cap the coolant will not boil until over 265 degrees.

.....remember that our fans go to SLOW at 224 and FAST at 236 because they are controlled by coolant temperature with no A/C or DEFROST function set. If the fans come on, the coolant goes down to 213 and fans turn off, and the cycle starts again BUT if you run the HVAC in AUTO or DEFROST modes then fans run in SLOW all the time and the gauge should hang around 198-212 all the time.

Some of these cars don't ever run the fans at 45 mph+ highway - you don't need them then.
My 2001 Eldorado behaves as you describe. But, I am curious - my 2006 STS N* temp gauge needle sits a hair below the half way point ( a little less than horizontal on that dashboard) and no matter what I do, or what the outside temp is, the needle never moves. Any ideas on this?

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
A hair below half way is ok for the engine, it seems like there are variations on temp gauge dampening by years/models.

·
Registered
'08 DTS Lux III Blk Cherry, '89 Brougham d'Elegance Dip Blue
4,847 Posts
I went into the OBD system on my Eldorado and added the digital coolant temp readout. It runs 196-203, roughly, while driving. My temp needle sits just past the 1/2 mark and stays there.

·
Administrator
72,748 Posts
I went into the OBD system on my Eldorado and added the digital coolant temp readout. It runs 196-203, roughly, while driving. My temp needle sits just past the 1/2 mark and stays there.
perfect..............:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
72,748 Posts
My 2001 Eldorado behaves as you describe. But, I am curious - my 2006 STS N* temp gauge needle sits a hair below the half way point ( a little less than horizontal on that dashboard) and no matter what I do, or what the outside temp is, the needle never moves. Any ideas on this?
No idea: different car, different engine, different engine controls. Fight with the ^^^ new model "STS" Forum dwellers. :lildevil:

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,941 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts